kpence73
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2013

Installing quick charge port

Mon May 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Ok, so when I got my SV, I went with the premium package because there are no quick charging stations in Georgia. Supposedly they are coming by the end of the year or beginning of 2014. The sales guy showed me their cheat sheet book that Nissan gives them for all trim lines, packages, etc. Under the premium package it has "quick charge" listed. When I asked he said that the quick charge "spot" is there but the quick charger is not installed. My next question was can it be installed later once those stations are available. He said no. I am really wondering if that is true. I kept pointing out to him that his cheat book definitely had "quick charging" listed on both the premium package as well as the LED package. I asked him several times about it. It was one of those, "but it says so right there in the book" moments. He kept saying that there is a covered hole where it goes and that is it. I looked under the charging door on a S and it didn't have a pre-die kind of form for the quick charge port, but my SV does. Has anyone else asked Nissan this question and been told that yes you can have it installed later? Now if you go to Nissan's website, the premium package does not say anything about the quick charge, but I swear it was listed in his little "not for customers eyes" book.

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Re: Installing quick charge port

Mon May 06, 2013 4:10 pm

No, it can't be installed later.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm

It CAN be installed afterwards, but you are looking at around $5000 in parts.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Mon May 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Ingineer wrote:It CAN be installed afterwards, but you are looking at around $5000 in parts.

-Phil

Yes, but I believe the OP was asking if NISSAN can install one.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

EVDRIVER

Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 pm

This seems to be coming up again and again. I'm sure a dealer will do this for about $5-6K but clearly that is extreme. The simple answer is it is not worth doing as it makes more sense to buy a new car so lets put this one to rest.

Ingineer

Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 pm

LEAFfan wrote:Yes, but I believe the OP was asking if NISSAN can install one.
Nissan can definitely install one. They'll have to replace the top module, several wiring harnesses, and add the CHAdeMO inlet. Parts alone are around $5000. Expect labor to add a good bit more.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

kpence73
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2013

Mon May 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Ingineer wrote:
LEAFfan wrote:Yes, but I believe the OP was asking if NISSAN can install one.
Nissan can definitely install one. They'll have to replace the top module, several wiring harnesses, and add the CHAdeMO inlet. Parts alone are around $5000. Expect labor to add a good bit more.

-Phil

Based on what I saw in his info booklet, I assumed that the top module and wiring is already there. They just need to install the actual outlet. That is what I am curious to find out about. He kept saying it was only missing the actual port connector itself.

Ingineer

Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 pm

kpence73 wrote:Based on what I saw in his info booklet, I assumed that the top module and wiring is already there. They just need to install the actual outlet. That is what I am curious to find out about. He kept saying it was only missing the actual port connector itself.
The top module is a totally different part with QC. It looks identical, but all the components that deal with the QC port are not present on the cars that did not come with a QC port.

Most of what you see in this picture simply isn't present in the non-QC equipped LEAF, and you can't order it separately:

The white plastic with the 2 metal tabs is where the heavy wiring from the CHAdeMO connector comes in, none of that is on a non-QC car, check for yourself!

-Phil

EV4Taos
Delivery Date: 19 Nov 2012

Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:27 pm

Ingineer wrote:
kpence73 wrote:Based on what I saw in his info booklet, I assumed that the top module and wiring is already there. They just need to install the actual outlet. That is what I am curious to find out about. He kept saying it was only missing the actual port connector itself.
The top module is a totally different part with QC. It looks identical, but all the components that deal with the QC port are not present on the cars that did not come with a QC port.

Most of what you see in this picture simply isn't present in the non-QC equipped LEAF, and you can't order it separately:

The white plastic with the 2 metal tabs is where the heavy wiring from the CHAdeMO connector comes in, none of that is on a non-QC car, check for yourself!

-Phil

What if I acquired a CHAdeMO equipment top module and wiring from a junk yard? can you think of any other problems I may run into? Is there any firmware differences that would make this impossible? If so is there any work a rounds you could think of? Which computer modules (with chademo firmware) would be responsible for this task? Could I just replace them too?

I am very good with replacing cars parts. I have the service manual and would definitely pull the high volt safety plug behind the center console if I did this (12v too). I also have a friend that is an electrical engineer and contractor who would help me torque all connection and secure wiring correctly.

I would really like to find a relatively cheap way to do this because I'm suck with my 2012 leaf for at least the next 5-6 years.

Not including the salvage part. What would the other costs be?

Very grateful for any knowledge/insight you can impart on the subject.

EV4Taos
Delivery Date: 19 Nov 2012

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Bump...Any info anyone can give would be really helpful...

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”