reeler

Re: ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:03 pm

The nearest charging stations to me are constantly filled by Car2Go. In San Diego they are all electric Smart cars and I use them sometimes, but monopolizing the charging infrastructure is not cool. For over 24 hours they occupied all the available spaces. Two were not even plugged in. The other two had long since finished charging.

At this location right next to the bay, the adjacent (non-handicapped) spot is rarely available. But, I got lucky when I took the photo early early in the morning. That is the only way that I finally got a charge.

This has happened several times now. They should have their own charging infrastructure if they intend to stay parked at them all the time. Public infrastructure is for the public not just one company.

I was Car2Go'Iced

2016 Blue LEAF SV | 2017 Gray Bolt LT | 2016 Black Tesla S75D
10 Ways to Save on Tesla Model S or Model X: http://tesladiscountcoupon.com

greengate
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2013

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:19 pm

reeler wrote:The nearest charging stations to me are constantly filled by Car2Go. In San Diego they are all electric Smart cars and I use them sometimes, but monopolizing the charging infrastructure is not cool. For over 24 hours they occupied all the available spaces. Two were not even plugged in. The other two had long since finished charging.

At this location right next to the bay, the adjacent (non-handicapped) spot is rarely available. But, I got lucky when I took the photo early early in the morning. That is the only way that I finally got a charge.

This has happened several times now. They should have their own charging infrastructure if they intend to stay parked at them all the time. Public infrastructure is for the public not just one company.

I was Car2Go'Iced

That stinks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drees

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Get a car2go membership and use it to move cars if needed. Then call them up and tell them why you moved it and they swill refund your session.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:55 am

Yeah, that's not cool. They need their own stations.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

Berlino
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 412600

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:32 am

drees wrote:Get a car2go membership and use it to move cars if needed. Then call them up and tell them why you moved it and they swill refund your session.

That's a clever idea, but are there annual membership fees in addition to the per use ones?
Ordered: 7/18/13 Delivered: 8/05/13
Red 2013 SL w/premium
EVSE Upgrade, LEAF Spy Pro
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 FIVE months per year.
--------------------------------------
Silver S85.
Selected from inventory w ~500 miles: 3/28/14
Delivered: 3/31/14

walterbays
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 am

drees wrote:Get a car2go membership and use it to move cars if needed. Then call them up and tell them why you moved it and they swill refund your session.
Plus a Car2go membership has additional benefits even for just occasional use, like when you need to run some errands downtown, or when you travel to another city for meetings and don't really need a rental car parked at the hotel for your entire stay.

But... The problem is that most of these Car2go clusters are in very busy parking lots. First you park your car in a distant space, walk over to the unplugged Car2go, move it to another distant space, walk to your car, drive back to the charging station, and by then the space may well be gone. Or double park your car next to the space while moving the Car2go and hope that's enough to warn off other cars and hope you won't get hit or ticketed.

The worst thing is Car2go's ambiguous terms of service. You are prohibited from parking in "non-sanctioned off street parking" like supermarket parking lots. You can park there temporarily while continuing to pay rental but cannot end a session there. But what is a sanctioned lot, what is a non-sanctioned lot, and how can you tell the difference? I've asked Car2go this question many times and have never received an answer. So how about the non-charging space you found to move the non-charging Car2go into? If you got lucky and found one right next to the charging stations you're almost certainly good. What if it's three rows over at the end of the lane? Probably good. What if it's in an adjacent connected parking lot, say like at Balboa Park? Is that still part of the same sanctioned location? What if it's in a nearby parking lot not connected by an internal driveway but accessible only by the public street? Is 0.1 miles away still "sanctioned"? Is 1.0 miles? 1.1 miles? There's no way to know. So if you move a fully charged Car2go out of a charging space you could end up liable for many hours of rental.

PS, not being able to tell where I can park and where I cannot is also the main thing that keeps me from using Car2go's otherwise great service.

Graffi
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 414757

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:12 am

I have had a membership since they first came to San Diego but have never used their service. However, I did drive one on the day they had an "Open House" event. For me the sign-up was free, and I have never been billed for membership.
Berlino wrote:

That's a clever idea, but are there annual membership fees in addition to the per use ones?
2013 SL Metalic Slate - We LOVE our Leaf
MFG 08/13 Dlv 09/06/13 @ 10 mi
# 77 100 mile club
# 10 200 km club

2017 Tesla S 75D Pearl White
Delivered 5/16/17 @ 900 mi
Tesla Model 3 on order awaiting 200+ mile range Nissan Leaf

Berlino

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:23 am

ElectricEddy wrote:
Surprised that the internal ground fault protection didn't trip. When I have run into this before in the rain with Add Energy units, the result is usually no power.

There are tons of AddEnergy stations in Quebec, but they're usually 1$/hr, so people are sure to re-holster at the end of sessions.
Red 2013 SL w/premium
Silver S85.

Berlino

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:25 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Another issue that is common is the cord being strewn about in a way that might allow someone to drive over it. guessing that only needs to happen a few times before we have another non functional site. :cry:

Unfortunately, I see that a lot as well. Loose cords are even more of a problem here because they get hidden under snow.
Red 2013 SL w/premium
Silver S85.

InductiveCharge
Delivery Date: 07 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 015542

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:36 am

Berwyn Municipal Parking Facility. Berwyn IL

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”