Modular J1772 to NEMA 14-50

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

Not necessarily "goin' our way" but it's a start. ;)

http://modularevpower.com/

P9192514M.JPG

Yes, this is so that an "old style" plug in charger can use the new J-1772 infrastructure that will be widely deployed (soon). It's not really going to help with newer vehicles equipment with the J-1772 standard... The box generates the "pilot" signal to get the J-1772 EVSE activated, and has what looks to be an 14-50 outlet on it to plug in your "old" charger.

Exactly.

But it's clear that the 'hackerspace' is already working on non-approved solutions to interconnect problems - and this device has 90% of what we need to 'go the other way'. These folks are actually machining their own J1772 connector parts. ;)

It's good validation that all the "I-Want-My_Plug"ers here will have toys to play with and won't even have to warm up their soldering iron if they don't want to. :lol:

Looks like they're selling them on Ebay. You have to bid on them. Feedback shows two sales, one for $270 and the second for $318.

For starters this has been already posted as sold on ebay at an inflated price and it's not useful for Leaf owners. You can just buy a NEMA plastic box and put the J inlet($99) into the box with a $7 plug receptacle and $5 of parts for the pilot signal and you are done. The better solution is to just put the inlet into your EV with the pilot signal parts. This is EXACTLY what EV drivers did with the AVCON the only difference is the connector end. Doing this is inexpensive and easy. I

f you have a Leaf and an EVSE like the Leiton for example you can just cut the plug off the end and swap with a 30A male twist connector. Then make a 1' long cable with the Leviton plug on one end and a male 30A twist on the other end. This pigtail allows one to take the leviton or other EVSE along and use various pigtails for different conventional plugs. I will post some samples here at some point once people need them. If you have a 120/240 EVSE you can even have a 120 pigtail(s).

I suggest changing the name of this thread to EVSE ADAPTORS, then all this talk can go in one area. There will be much I can assure. We will likely have and area added for schematics in general at the main forum in time...

It has been posted before that the NEMA 14-50 will not stand up to daily use and is dangerous in wet conditions ;)
Maybe the evse suddenly makes it all OK :roll:

smkettner said:
It has been posted before that the NEMA 14-50 will not stand up to daily use and is dangerous in wet conditions ;)
Maybe the evse suddenly makes it all OK :roll:

This is a solution for existing OLD EVs and the better solution is what I mentioned, put a J inlet in the car. It is still subject to the issue that existed before but not if you leave your cord plugged in all the time, regardless it is of no use to Leaf owners. Second, the use of adaptors for leaf owners is used infrequently for travel , etc and not subject to high use and not near the use of commercial duty so that is pointless as well. Lastly, the GFI would still fully function. You keep attempting to reinforce the use of old connectors in a way that has no validity to the use of an EVSE. You should cut off your J connector and go to a NEMA plug and let us know how it works out:) You have yet to provide a single valid reason a normal plug is superior or even equal to an EVSE and J cord nor explain what happens when a high power charger is plugged into a low amp circuit. In fact, the EVSE and J connector are superior in every way.

Don't give me a bad time for posting irrelevent info as it pertains to Leaf.
The whole thread is irrelevent to leaf.

If your EV has a NEMA 14-50p I would suggest installing a NEMA 14-50r long before an EVSE and J inlet. JMHO.

The thread should be moved to Other Electric Cars under Non Leaf Discussions

smkettner said:
Don't give me a bad time for posting irrelevent info as it pertains to Leaf.
The whole thread is irrelevent to leaf.

If your EV has a NEMA 14-50p I would suggest installing a NEMA 14-50r long before an EVSE and J inlet. JMHO.

The thread should be moved to Other Electric Cars under Non Leaf Discussions

I meant your many posts relating to an EVSE not being needed and how it would work in the examples I have cited many times before like the high-power charger example. What good is a NEMA 14-50 if you need all the adaptors? Just skip the junk and update, even the AVCON people are doing this.

Come on guys - take it outside! Nothing like complaining in some threads about thread creep and then making it happen. :?

The point of this thread is to give the "pluggers" examples, hope, and validation that when the time comes the marketplace will bring them the connectors and adapters they want for those cross-country trips.

If that's a problem, say the word. I'll have evnow delete the thread and take my account with it. :evil: :cry:

EVDRIVER said:
I suggest changing the name of this thread to EVSE ADAPTORS, then all this talk can go in one area.

Suggestion noted and consciously disregarded as the title of the thread accurately describes the purpose and intended content.

I'd rather counter with a suggestion that those that can make adapters might choose to create their own devices and put them on ebay, rather than wasting their time bashing products someone else took the time to create and market to fill a need.

AndyH said:
EVDRIVER said:
I suggest changing the name of this thread to EVSE ADAPTORS, then all this talk can go in one area.

Suggestion noted and consciously disregarded as the title of the thread accurately describes the purpose and intended content.

I'd rather counter with a suggestion that those that can make adapters might choose to create their own devices and put them on ebay, rather than wasting their time bashing products someone else took the time to create and market to fill a need.

Andy,

Who bashed the product. I said it was overpriced for what it does and if someone needs one the can make their own for less. In addition why does this not belong under an adaptor thread where there will be many discussions in the future on this topic as people will definitely want to make them rather than buy them. The suggestion was made again as an effort to help people find the information on specific topics easier, that is why we made a separate area for the EVSE.

KeiJidosha said:
EVDRIVER said:
This is a solution for existing OLD EVs and the better solution is what I mentioned, put a J inlet in the car.

Only better if you can modify your car. And how do you use Avcon if no J plugs?

J plugs are available, so are the connectors without the cords. In a short period of time they will be very inexpensive. If you have and AVCON or other EVSE your can change the cord and you are good to go for a Leaf.

EVDRIVER said:
KeiJidosha said:
EVDRIVER said:
This is a solution for existing OLD EVs and the better solution is what I mentioned, put a J inlet in the car.

Only better if you can modify your car. And how do you use Avcon if no J plugs?

J plugs are available, so are the connectors without the cords. In a short period of time they will be very inexpensive. If you have and AVCON or other EVSE your can change the cord and you are good to go for a Leaf.

I think you're missing the point. Yes - connectors are available - but a connector swap isn't enough to allow using a J1772 charge station. While it might be easy for a geek to swap cords and/or kludge their own pilot signal, most folks either aren't comfortable with a soldering iron or just don't want to hack the car. This box serves its purpose.

mitch672 said:
Yes, this is so that an "old style" plug in charger can use the new J-1772 infrastructure that will be widely deployed (soon). It's not really going to help with newer vehicles equipment with the J-1772 standard... The box generates the "pilot" signal to get the J-1772 EVSE activated, and has what looks to be an 14-50 outlet on it to plug in your "old" charger.

You think I can use this to plug in my Leaf at an RV park?

RakesProgress said:
mitch672 said:

You think I can use this to plug in my Leaf at an RV park?

No, its for exactly the OPPOSITE of that.

This is designed for people with EV's that have 14-50 plugs, and want to plug those into the new J-1772 EVSE's that will be around very shortly. This is just an adapter, to use your old EV charger that plugged into a 14-50 with a J-1772 EVSE. You will need a portable 240V L2 EVSE that plugs into a 14-50 outlet, those will be made by Leviton shortly, and also SPX will have one out. You need an entire EVSE for that, not just an adapter.

Back