MaryC
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1284

EVSE Federal credit

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Anyone going ahead and getting their EVSE installed this year to take advantage of the Federal Credit.
Or are you waiting until the delivery of your car gets closer next year and taking a chance that the credit will be extended for next year also.
Blue SL, Res 4/20, RAQ 10/22, ordered 10/25, Delivered May 6th, VIN 1284, PD NorthbayTraded in
New Leaf 2014 White SV

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Re: EVSE Federal credit

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 pm

I feel the install quote was way too high to install the evse in my prewired, permitted and inspected home. I plan to get a Leviton 16 amp home evse and self install. Install as in bolt to the wall and plug into the outlet. Even if it costs same after tax I just cannot give that money to AV.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

kballs
Delivery Date: 30 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1341

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Some of us may not have a choice because AeroVironment and/or EcoTality won't perform the install until next year... seems like they are backed up, and if you have a 2011 order date, you're way down the list. My order date is January 2011, and have not yet been contacted by EcoTality for an inspection (on the list of maybes).

Captain Obvious here, but if they really want EVs to take off, they will need to eliminate the bottleneck for EVSE installs, eliminate the exclusive contract with AV, and get EVSEs out there in the retail market (allowing market competition for the hardware and allowing you to get any electrician to handle the install, or even do a self install if you know what you're doing and/or have a pre-wired circuit to hook up to). The current process might work for the first year, but after that they're going to be producing Leafs faster than EVSEs can be manufactured and installed.

EVDRIVER

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:07 pm

smkettner wrote:I feel the install quote was way too high to install the evse in my prewired, permitted and inspected home. I plan to get a Leviton 16 amp home evse and self install. Install as in bolt to the wall and plug into the outlet. Even if it costs same after tax I just cannot give that money to AV.

So no RV cord after all.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:35 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
smkettner wrote:I feel the install quote was way too high to install the evse in my prewired, permitted and inspected home. I plan to get a Leviton 16 amp home evse and self install. Install as in bolt to the wall and plug into the outlet. Even if it costs same after tax I just cannot give that money to AV.

So no RV cord after all.
Most likely I will get by on the included L1 for some time until the evse thing shakes out a bit. If there was an option for just a cord and no junk I would far and away prefer that set up. There is absolutely no reason for all the evse equipment IMO. If there is a hack to bypass it I would be all for it.

I am still looking for a super basic no options L2 evse. Similar to the included L1 but 16a L2 power. I am hoping the Leviton is close enough and has a low (<$350) price.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

EVDRIVER

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:55 pm

smkettner wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:

So no RV cord after all.
Most likely I will get by on the included L1 for some time until the evse thing shakes out a bit. If there was an option for just a cord and no junk I would far and away prefer that set up. There is absolutely no reason for all the evse equipment IMO. If there is a hack to bypass it I would be all for it.

I am still looking for a super basic no options L2 evse. Similar to the included L1 but 16a L2 power. I am hoping the Leviton is close enough and has a low (<$350) price.

YOu can hack it with under $5 in parts for the pilot signal.

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:59 am

EVDRIVER wrote:YOu can hack it with under $5 in parts for the pilot signal.
Do you know of some good instructions in order to generate a proper pilot signal? I've been running into issues since it requires a 12 volt, 1 khz, PWM signal and the electrical engineering "force" isn't strong enough in me... :D
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

TimeHorse
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:55 am

Anyway, back to Mary's original question.

I, for one, have been very vocal on this issue and I think most of the more active members know well where I stand. I am planning to start contacting local electrical contractors for estimates to do the EVSE installation work. I have not decided upon which unit to use, but I hope the Levaton one will be available next month (not likely but I can hope) and then just get it all done in November or December at the latest though what with holidays and all I don't know if I can get anyone in December. None the less, I will try my hardest to get it done by 31 December because any Electrical Contractor can do the EVSE installation and you get the tax credit, 50% off up to $2000 (Any installation costs above $4000 you pay in full) and damn Congress for not extending this and all the <excised> for not allowing this teeny weeny little bit of <booga wooga>STIM-U-LUS<wooooooo> that will, like the ARRA has, create #$^ jobs already! Grrr.

Okay, I'm calm again. Sorry! Anyway, yes, I plan to be installed by 31 Dec, local contractor and EVSE producer willing. If they extend the credit in the lame-duck session and I've not installed yet, I'll definitely wait!
RIP CO2 Fre, 27 months, 42,282 mi & 11 bars.
unAmerican Job & Nissan's Rapid Depreciation cost $20,000!
5 hours on the road daily w/o Charge at Work on 100%.

Long Live CO2 Fre, Maxed 2013 SL, 20,000 mi/yr lease.
http://aecn.timehorse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:47 am

It should be possible to do the electrical modifications and additions now, for a 2010 tax credit, wiring to a 240v socket (in a "junction box") on a 40-amp dual breaker (**), putting the socket in-service (completely inspected and ready to use) now, for plug-in charging. Label it "EV Charging Only" and take a picture of it. Most likely, the costs of doing this qualify for the EVSE Tax Credit, I suspect.

Then plug-in (or possibly "mount") any "new" L2 EVSE later, when it beomes available.

(**) I would include dual 20-amp breakers for twin 120v duplex sockets (one on each 120v "phase"). This will be for the initial (and later, when needed) Level 1 charging, to be used with the Nissan "included" EVSE, if one needs to specify the EVSE type that one intends to use.

It will also provide for convenient testing of "Two-120v-makes-240v" adapter cords.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

EVDRIVER

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:55 am

garygid wrote:It should be possible to do the electrical modifications and additions now, for a 2010 tax credit, wiring to a 240v socket (in a "junction box") on a 40-amp dual breaker (**), putting the socket in-service (completely inspected and ready to use) now, for plug-in charging. Label it "EV Charging Only" and take a picture of it. Most likely, the costs of doing this qualify for the EVSE Tax Credit, I suspect.

Then plug-in (or possibly "mount") any "new" L2 EVSE later, when it beomes available.

(**) I would include dual 20-amp breakers for twin 120v duplex sockets (one on each 120v "phase"). This will be for the initial (and later, when needed) Level 1 charging, to be used with the Nissan "included" EVSE, if one needs to specify the EVSE type that one intends to use.

It will also provide for convenient testing of "Two-120v-makes-240v" adapter cords.

Technically that is incorrect. The station must be operational to get the credit as per the IRS rules, now I know several ways to make the above situation work but I'm commenting on the official rules here.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”