How much did your EVSE install cost?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmikol

So, while I don't actually have a Leaf yet (after the new year), I'm trying to get the EVSE installed before then to take advantage of the tax credit.

Now, I realize that everyone's situation is different, but I'm trying to get a feel for what others have paid to have their EVSE installed. I realize some people have DIY'ed it, but I'm talking about getting a new branch circuit run by a licensed electrician (and having obtained a permit from the appropriate regulatory agency).

Here's my situation:
Siemens Versicharge 30A
Hard-wired, outdoor installation.
About 15 feet from panel to EVSE, in surface-mounted conduit.

I've gotten bids that range from about $350 to about $750 for the same work. Just curious on what other people's installs cost.

FYI--Permitting is relatively inexpensive where I am, and EVSE install work is sales tax exempt.

I appreciate the feedback.

--G

I'd expect no more than a four hours of labor for that one, realistically it could be done in two. Add on parts (shouldn't be much) and whatever the electrician charges for the permitting process.

Do be aware that you need to finish the whole job by the 31st. That includes inspections. I hope you have the equipment already. Don't wait too long to get started.

Thanks, Dave...I appreciate the heads-up, but I'm painfully aware of the deadlines I'm up against. I've found a few electricians who are available on the Thursday and Friday after Christmas, though.

--G

For my Clipper Creek LCS-25, it was just under $1000 in labor. The reason it was so high is because my municipality requires a separate meter. Total conduit run was about 25 feet.

It sounds like a lot, but the electrician and his apprentice had to do about 7 hours of work over a 2 day period.

Bosch Power Max 30A w/ 25 foot cord $800.00 at EV West. Ran my own Dryer Plug. Will have an electrician run it to the 200A box soon with a 50a breaker using 6-2 wire. Should coast me around 240.00, I've done business with these folks many times.

Install time 30 Min. I do all of the grunt work, they do the Panel hook-up. I also supply the 6-2 cable and Breaker.

Fred

EVSE tax credit is subject to AMT. You'll need to calculate AMT if you intend to take the credit, even if you never usually find yourself subject to It, and may not get as much of the credit as you'd expect. That's how it worked out for me.

You're correct as to we might be comparing apples to oranges but here in IL we get a 50% rebate on the EVSE + install so my out of pocket after the rebate was $605, that was a little over 2 years ago -- Schneider EVlink 'charger' on a new 40A circuit, inside garage install about 30' + feet from the box running along a knee wall. My electrician needed to provide a decent amount of paperwork to the state so I could get the cash rebate so it was money well spent to have it done right (I'm sure my homeowner's insurance appreciates me using a bonded/licensed contractor as well instead of DIY); I also thought ahead and had it placed about mid-way in a 4-car tandem style garage so I could use it for a possible 2nd EV in the future. This is the first-gen Schneider that continues to perform quite well.

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

ksnogas2112 said:
EVSE - Schneider - $850
Installation - $200 - local electrician, no permits required
Interesting...did you just end up re-purposing an existing outlet, or do you live somewhere where electrical permits are not required for simple stuff? I'm just curious. We need a permit for everything except replacing like-for-like (outlets, switches, fixtures).

--G

gmikol said:
ksnogas2112 said:
EVSE - Schneider - $850
Installation - $200 - local electrician, no permits required
Interesting...did you just end up re-purposing an existing outlet, or do you live somewhere where electrical permits are not required for simple stuff? I'm just curious. We need a permit for everything except replacing like-for-like (outlets, switches, fixtures).

--G
It probably depends on how it's classified. Here property owner can do almost everything inside the house without permit. But if you hire a contractor they need permits, so many jobs are done "by owners under supervision" kind of agreement.

Always interesting how rules are that different in different places. Here, homeowners are required to get a permit as well, for pretty much any work other that like-for-like replacement, as I said earlier. Of course, a permit to modify up to 4 branch circuits only costs like $50, so I don't see it as a big deal.

--G

Have you had your service checked and a simple load calculation done? There are times when the service is inadequate for adding another 30 amps, for instance a 125 amp service with all electric heat and appliances might be already sized to its max. That could add a significant amount to your total... But also could be a bonus because the tax credit would pay for a third of it. Then you'd have a bigger service for other things too.

No load problems, here. 200 Amp service, open slots in the panel. Gas heat/water/stove.

Gotta use the main panel, though. The 40A EVSE circuit would overload my garage subpanel. Then I'd have to pay to upgrade that feeder, as well.

I hear people asking: if there's slots free in the main, why do you have a subpanel? Well, there weren't enough slots in the main to supply all the circuits I wanted to add for the garage. But there are a couple free in the main for me to use for this.

--G

gmikol said:
Always interesting how rules are that different in different places. Here, homeowners are required to get a permit as well, for pretty much any work other that like-for-like replacement, as I said earlier. Of course, a permit to modify up to 4 branch circuits only costs like $50, so I don't see it as a big deal.

--G
Ran a new line from inside garage to breaker. About 30 feet of conduit.

The 65 feet of 6/3 wire I used I got for free from my next door neighbor who is an Electrician for 30 years. I ran the cable from my panel to my garage and he connected everything for me at no cost.

So the only thing I paid for was the EVSE, Mounting Kit, Breaker & Receptacle.

Do you guys know if I can claim the labor with the 2013 EVSE Tax Rebate that expires in 6 days?

I also just bought the evseupgrade because of the Tax rebate will save me $100

Thanks,

Sal

Not counting the EVSE, which was an upgrade purchased directly from Phil, I spent $107.14 in parts to install the outlet and meter for the EVSE. Of that, the refurbished meter was $45.03, shipped.

I did the work myself so no labor charges or anything like that. And the main breaker panel is located in the garage, which made it really easy.

evseoutletandmeter0288s.jpg

Well, it looks like mine is going to be about $375. I really feel like I could have gotten it done myself, but I also know that I procrastinate like crazy, so it probably wouldn't have gotten done 'til April or something like that. So hiring a pro it is, and it will get taken care of before the New Year (hello, 30% tax credit...).

Have a neighbor with a Leaf, and I talked to the electrician he used to install his Clipper Creek indoors. Not confidence inspiring...felt like I had to walk him through what needed to be done, remind him 3 times that we're talking about a 40A, not a 30A circuit, that it was hard-wired (since mine will be outdoors) and that the work was sales tax-exempt. His was the second-highest bid that I got back, and he had the sales tax in there anyway. Go figure.

--G

AeroVironment EVSE = $1,064 on Amazon.com. This was before cheaper ones became available. Dealer was asking $2,000 for the same thing.
240v feeder, did it myself. Materials (40A breaker, 60 ft of #6 Romex, boxes & 50A receptacle) = $120. Search on EVSE and Petecomp1 to see my detailed installation description post.
Pete

Our costs came to about $400, and this included adding a couple of unrelated outlets in our attic (backup power for solar attic fans). We used an electrician we had used before so knew they were good. The EVSE was a Schneider EV Link that cost about $800 (great unit, by the way). They did a nice job on the install, but it was a short wire run to the breaker box, which helped. They ran new breakers and circuit to a 14-50 240v 40amp outlet. The EVSE draws 30 amps, so plenty of capacity to spare. Took the electrician about 2 hours.

It's pretty simple stuff as it only takes two lives and a ground for this kind of circuit. Still I'm more comfortable letting a pro do it. And the 30% tax credit will really help.

Back