LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

The official "I actually have a new EVSE installed" thread

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Lots of topics with lots of discussion about various EVSEs.

Since folks are getting close to actually installing these - let's have a place to post when you actually get your EVSE installed.

What brand did you install?
What was the cost of the EVSE?
What was the cost of the installation?
Did you get this EVSE through Nissan and AV?

and lastly - Now that you have it - have you discovered anything about it that wasn't in the marketing material?

EVDRIVER

Re: The official "I actually have a new EVSE installed" thread

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:00 am

I did a few weeks ago and removed it (AVCON) . I also decided to add an additional conduit to the front of my garage as it is more convenient, I know have three 50A 240 charging locations which I will likely reduce down to two. The new one uses a 1" conduit since it was only a bit more for the material and is easier to upgrade if needed. Here is the new location for either a modified L1 Leaf EVSE to L2 240 or a Leviton unit. This line also has a dedicated MTU for the TED 5000. No EVSE yet but thought the pick my be helpful for those considering a plug in.

If you live in SF proper and you are struggling with EVSE installations or have an existing one and want to avoid AV, I could be bribed to look at it and help review some options if you need help.

LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

Nice!

So what's your plan if the EVSE you eventually purchase doesn't have a plug compatible with that socket? Will you change the socket type, or build a little converter? Or have you determined that the EVSE's you are likely to purchase have a plug compatible with that socket?

EVDRIVER

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:21 am

LakeLeaf wrote:Nice!

So what's your plan if the EVSE you eventually purchase doesn't have a plug compatible with that socket? Will you change the socket type, or build a little converter? Or have you determined that the EVSE's you are likely to purchase have a plug compatible with that socket?

I will just put an plug end on the EVSE, I have about 10 adaptors here, spools of 8/3 flex cable from old EV charge cords (AVATAR) , etc. I also have cords with adaptors for 110 for universal chargers and even some with clips (not advised). Changing the outlet takes $6 and 5 minutes of time. I can pull all new wire (8G now) in the conduit and connect in about 15-20 min since it is only about 30 feet and four bends to panel. Cost about $100 and an hour or so to do the conduit, would take about 15-20 min to remove the outlet and hard wire to an EVSE if desired.

The duplex is a 20A GFI dedicated.

Here is an actual charger (French junk charger) from a Think, the black box with the fins in the bottom. The larger silver box above it is a Siemens inverter and if you look close you can see a tiny plug flap the size of a headphone jack at the top left of the frame, there was no EVSE required on EURO models and the charger was 20A (limited from 25) and 240V, it used a cord like a standard extension cord here and it was exposed to water all the time. Charged the 10kwh pack up fast.

The battery is at the bottom right and brake vac booster on the left. You can see the top of the Siemens motor, there is also a radiator in there that cools the inverter, entire pack and dc/dc. The motor bay is quite open otherwise and empty.

Harv

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:01 pm

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/3057/av1c.jpg
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7226/av3u.jpg

I got my AV EVSE installed on 11/9/10. Above are the links for the pictures. I was not able to load the pictures myself. May be one of the mods would help, I would appreciate that.
Here are the details:
Total cost: $2925.00
Custom Installation: $1863.00
Permits: S230
Dock: $720

As reported earlier, this involved trench work for about 30 feet and crawl space/attic work. Local electrical contractors had quoted just a bit lower price for installation.
There were 4 persons, who worked for nearly 5 hours to finish the work. City inspector came the next day and signed off on the permit. I was the first person to get this done in Roseville area. There was actually another person in Fair Oaks area of Sacramento, who got the installation by AV done on 11/8/10.
Testing equipment included a rectangular box measuring about 24x18x18 inches. There was lot of noise when simulated "charging" was started. I asked him if actual charging process would be that noisy, he said no.

On 11/10/10, I did attend CCSE workshop on Sacramento. There were presentations by EVCA, SMUD and of course by CCSE person. Charge Point America level 2 EVSE looked impressive but I told their rep that I never got any response to my emails or phone messages from their company and I ended up buying rather expensive unit from AV.

I contacted Nissan CS yesterday evening to get the receipt for installation of EVSE. I was referred to AV, who in turn told me that I was the first person to contact them for this purpose. They apparently didn't have system in place for this but promised that it would be available most likely on Nissan LEAF web site under the account by next week. I will wait and see and hopefully be able to print it online.

I have not done test drive as yet but am scheduled to do it in San Francisco on 11/20/10. I believe my delivery date would be sometime in Feb 2011, as my order date is 9/7/10.
Granite Bay (Sacramento, CA)
LEAFing since 3/9/11.
License Plate GAS ZRO

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:42 am

Questions:

1) I asked this in the other AV EVSE thread, but didn't get an answer.....almost every install I've seen thus far has a rather inelegant conduit snaking up underneath and going up into the bottom of the AV unit? Are these not designed to mount over the top of an in-wall junction box.

2) Specifically about Harv's installation, is the supplemental disconnect/fuse box a requirement by local code or by NEC? That's the first time I've seen one of those incorporated into an install (though the number of installs I've seen thus far is very few, and it may just have been out of shot on the pictures).
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 82,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Harv

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:42 am

mwalsh wrote:Questions:

1) I asked this in the other AV EVSE thread, but didn't get an answer.....almost every install I've seen thus far has a rather inelegant conduit snaking up underneath and going up into the bottom of the AV unit? Are these not designed to mount over the top of an in-wall junction box.

2) Specifically about Harv's installation, is the supplemental disconnect/fuse box a requirement by local code or by NEC? That's the first time I've seen one of those incorporated into an install (though the number of installs I've seen thus far is very few, and it may just have been out of shot on the pictures).
I did ask the electrician who installed the unit, about the location of the conduit unit. It appears that the instructions given to them are not very clear. As you mentioned, there have not been many installations as yet. AV may be able to provide the answers and I would ask them when I call them for the receipt issues next week.

I didn't ask him specifically about the fuse box whether or not this was a requirement of some kind. I can certainly clarify this issue next week and post the response.

Harvinder
Granite Bay (Sacramento, CA)
LEAFing since 3/9/11.
License Plate GAS ZRO

mwalsh

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:52 am

Harv wrote:I didn't ask him specifically about the fuse box whether or not this was a requirement of some kind. I can certainly clarify this issue next week and post the response.

Harvinder
Cheers Harv!

I found a paper on the Internet, not sure what the source was but someplace in CA, since it mentions the CEC as well as the NEC. Looks like the disconnect/fuse box might be a requirement:
Safety Switch: For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector. If the disconnect is not in sight of the equipment, it must be capable of being locked in the open position (CEC §625.23). Depending on local code requirements, a fused switch may be needed if the switch is not readily accessible, or is not visible from the main panel.
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses

mwalsh

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:20 am

Here is another guy's, Dave Lo is his name. Don't think he's a user here:

2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:27 am

mwalsh wrote: I found a paper on the Internet, not sure what the source was but someplace in CA, since it mentions the CEC as well as the NEC. Looks like the disconnect/fuse box might be a requirement:
Safety Switch: For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector. If the disconnect is not in sight of the equipment, it must be capable of being locked in the open position (CEC §625.23). Depending on local code requirements, a fused switch may be needed if the switch is not readily accessible, or is not visible from the main panel.
I don't think the above statement leads to any disconnect requirement since those conditions aren't met with this EVSE (< 60A and 120V to ground)
But, I've had two EVSE electricians at my house (AV and Ecotality); the AV guy said depending on local codes I should have a disconnect near the EVSE since the cable run to my panel was more than 30 ft. The Ecotality guy never mentioned needing it; but I mentioned it and he shrugged and said "sounds good".

I plan to install one anyway, although my EVSE install doesn't call for pulling any permits. Seems like AV's design should have integrated a cutout switch so the installs would be cleaner. The thing that seems missing from Harv's install is a nearby GFCI 120V plug for the "trickle charger". Maybe it's just out of view? The AV electrician said garage plugs have to be GFCI anyway (and of course they prefer a dedicated circuit). Whenever there's an EVSE problem, AV will ask you to plug-in the trickle charger to isolate whether the problem is the LEAF or the EVSE.
BTW, I agree that the installs look pretty rough considering what we know about AV's installation pricing. Remember the pretty installation in the AV video? No, flex conduit and junction boxes tacked to the walls.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”