malloryk
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 226

Re: The official "I actually have a new EVSE installed" thread

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:15 pm

It took 9 hours in the pouring rain, but my EVSE is installed! I will post pictures tomorrow, I need to borrow a camera. Basically they had to get it connected to the breaker in my hallway. They put 8 holes in my wall, drilled down into my storage unit below my apartment and then mounted the unit into the wall in front of my parking spot. My cat was freaked out all day from the noise and I almost caught her escaping through one of the holes in the wall. Now she's passed out snoring because she didn't catch any cat naps today with all the activity. All the holes are patched up and I just need to get them painted over. Tomorrow the inspector comes and hopefully will sign off. It looks really good and my Leaf can't get here soon enough! :)
Previous Leaf SL w/QC Owner
Current CMAX Energi (302A Package) Owner
Santa Monica

Reserved 4/20; ordered 8/31; took delivery on 1/8/11, returned on 11/26/13; purchased from Fontana Nissan and returned to Gardena Nissan

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 pm

malloryk wrote:It took 9 hours in the pouring rain, but my EVSE is installed! I will post pictures tomorrow, I need to borrow a camera. Basically they had to get it connected to the breaker in my hallway. They put 8 holes in my wall, drilled down into my storage unit below my apartment and then mounted the unit into the wall in front of my parking spot. My cat was freaked out all day from the noise and I almost caught her escaping through one of the holes in the wall. Now she's passed out snoring because she didn't catch any cat naps today with all the activity. All the holes are patched up and I just need to get them painted over. Tomorrow the inspector comes and hopefully will sign off. It looks really good and my Leaf can't get here soon enough! :)

Hey Mal, congratulations!

This is really an accomplishment. You're a true EV pioneer. I know that it's difficult enough to get cooperation for capital upgrades to property when you own your own condo unit. But as a renter, you, and your landlord, deserve a lot of credit. I know that you are in a great, progressive environment, in Santa Monica, probably one of the best in the nation. So your neighbors in the city are also participants in your success. But you are the bomb for being so persistent and positive throughout the process.

You should start a blog about your experiences so far, and about living as a renter in Santa Monica with one of the first LEAFs. Lots of folks, as well as Nissan and a lot of other manufacturers, will be watching your experiences closely.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kataphn
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2013

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Great, Mallory! Happy for you and would like to come over and see it....if you want to PM me I would have time this next week...nothing like inviting myself. :lol:
Delivered: May 3, 2011
VIN: 1467 made 3-7-11
SL, Blue, eTec trim, EV project Blink
[purchased] as of 11-1-13: 25,000: 11 bars
Also have a PiP

malloryk

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 pm

thanks Boomer for those kind words! I've been thinking about blogging about this experience. I should've been this whole time but this forum has been filling that need to share my experience with other people going through the same thing as well as learn from all of you. I'm lucky because I really have an awesome property manager who lives in my building and takes care of everything. She was my liason with the owner whom I've never met but I hear is "into conservation." And is now interested in purchasing an EV of her own! She appreciated all the research and information I put into the letter I wrote pleading my case. They were very thoughtful in their decision and honestly, that was enough for me. The fact that they didn't just dismiss me immediately and tell me no. I also wanted to show people that even if you're a renter, it's not out of the question to own an EV. You just have to keep moving forward, do your research, be patient and flexible, and when it all works out, be grateful! We're all pioneers on this forum and I'm excited to embark on this adventure with all of you!
Santa Monica

Reserved 4/20; ordered 8/31; took delivery on 1/8/11, returned on 11/26/13; purchased from Fontana Nissan and returned to Gardena Nissan

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:49 pm

malloryk wrote: I also wanted to show people that even if you're a renter, it's not out of the question to own an EV. You just have to keep moving forward, do your research, be patient and flexible, and when it all works out, be grateful! We're all pioneers on this forum and I'm excited to embark on this adventure with all of you!

This is what I'm saying, you're da bomb!
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

malloryk

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:57 pm

you are! You've got solar! I guess that's my next challenge, getting solar panels installed! :lol:
Santa Monica

DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 am

malloryk wrote:you are! You've got solar! I guess that's my next challenge, getting solar panels installed! :lol:

Good luck! Hopefully community solar becomes possible in CA as I think that would make owning a bit of PV possible for a lot of renters and people with suboptimal roofs.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:13 am

Mallory...that is very cool! Glad your cat didn't get into the walls and get herself accidentally walled-up....that would have been a nightmare. :o
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 79,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

tps
Delivery Date: 07 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 18044

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:07 am

malloryk wrote:I also wanted to show people that even if you're a renter, it's not out of the question to own an EV.

Hey, I'm a renter, too. When I told the lady I rent from I wanted to get an EV, she said "congratulations" and gave me the name of the electrician she uses. I'll probably not see my LEAF for another year since I'm geographically disadvantaged (Pensylvania), but I don't think I'll have a problem once it gets here. Good luck with yours!

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 am

mal...,
When you have time, you should post a (perhaps edited) copy of your "pleading" letter(s) so that others will have a constructive example to follow.
Congrats, Gary :D
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”