EVSE Tax Credit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetForMe

Does anyone know if I need only to install my EVSE before 12/31 to be able to get the tax credit, or do I need to actually file paperwork before then?

Thanks!

The IRS states that it must be "placed in service" during 2010. My guess is that they'll want to see the paperwork which supports this, which would include a dated receipt showing the EVSE was purchased in 2010. If you have the receipt for the installation cost, you can also claim thiis. My guess is that they won't dig too deep, but they will want all receipts which you are claiming to be dated 2010.

I don't believe there is any separate paperwork to file with the IRS, other than Form 8911 that you attach to your income tax filing next spring. Like all income tax deductions and credits, you need to retain your paperwork in case you are audited.

You do have to get a permit for the installation from your city or county, and the EVSE cannot be put into service until all paperwork associated with that has been submitted and approved and the inspector has signed off on the installation.

JetForMe said:
Does anyone know if I need only to install my EVSE before 12/31 to be able to get the tax credit, or do I need to actually file paperwork before then?

Thanks!

I called the IRS and Yes it has to be in place and in working order prior to 12/31.... Went onto the Senate.gov website and looked at summary items associated with the renewal of the Bush tax cuts, I did not see this tax credit as part of the negotiated settlement. Does not mean the House will not add it back in. I suspect that if it does not get added before the vote, I would not expect a GOP lead congress to reinstate it any time soon.

Hey everybody,
Plug-in America's Website has a form letter to send to your legislative representative to vote to extend the tax credit for EVSEs. It's pretty easy to do. So everybody might want to send the letter to try and get the credit extended.
Glenn

Bassman said:
Hey everybody,
Plug-in America's Website has a form letter to send to your legislative representative to vote to extend the tax credit for EVSEs. It's pretty easy to do. So everybody might want to send the letter to try and get the credit extended.
Glenn

+1 (Even though I gots my EVSE)

planet4ever said:
You do have to get a permit for the installation from your city or county, and the EVSE cannot be put into service until all paperwork associated with that has been submitted and approved and the inspector has signed off on the installation.

You are "supposed to", not have to. Putting in an EVSE is no more complicated than installing an additional outlet or connecting a hot tub, this is done thousands of times each year without a permit. Technically, if you change an existing outlet some places you need a permit but I doubt that happens often. The permits for an EVSE in some places are a joke as they are no more difficult than other items, in fact the permit for up to eight outlets in the bay area is less than an EVSE.

Robbing banks is done thousands of times a year too, and mostly without a permit.

Is your point above that you encourage others to do things illegally?

It seems that you frequently encourage others to do illegal things, perhaps because you and others have gotten away with it?

EVDRIVER said:
The permits for an EVSE in some places are a joke as they are no more difficult than other items, in fact the permit for up to eight outlets in the bay area is less than an EVSE.
So, far those of you who actually have an EVSE installed, what did the inspector check or test? Last year when my company moved into a new office, the electrical inspector did go around with an neon bulb outlet tester and check a few of the outlets. I can imagine that for an EVSE, they might want to be sure the ground connections are securely attached, that the GFCI functions, that it is securely attached to the wall so that, if strained, the EV cable will pull out and shut the system down before the whole EVSE pulls off the wall, etc. The custom test rig which AV uses is probably needed to test most of the safety-related features required by code for an EVSE, but how much do the inspectors actually do?

The actual functioning of the EVSE is not "inspected" at all, I believe. Just the "wiring-related" issues, loading, breakers, connections, grounds, wire types and sizes, etc. I think.

I found this in the current bill

SEC. 711. ALTERNATIVE FUEL VEHICLE REFUELING PROPERTY.

(a) Extension of Credit- Paragraph (2) of section 30C(g) is amended by striking `December 31, 2010' and inserting `December 31, 2011.'.

(b) Effective Date- The amendment made by this section shall apply to property placed in service after December 31, 2010.

.. so if the tax cut bill passes, EVSE's will continue to have the credit for next years tax return. No reason to rush out now (unless you need the credit for this year)..

xtremeflyer said:
so if the tax cut bill passes, EVSE's will continue to have the credit for next years tax return. No reason to rush out now (unless you need the credit for this year)

Too late for me :roll: but I have to say, I suffered like most businesses this year: Pass the bloody tax code bill already, Congress, so we know what to expect for next year! And they wonder why recover is so slow!

Well, our well-estemed forum support EVNow just tweeted it be law, so I'll take that as yes, the extension is enacted, and only a Fortnight too late, bugger it! What a pricey decision, but not being a gambling man, I'm satisfied I did and got an 80A EVSE to boot!

Oh, and I bet my letters and calls to Congressman Wolf helped!

Yes

2010: $2,000 credit max @ %50 of price

2011: $1,000 credit max @ %30 of price (pre stimulus level)

I joined the "Electric Auto Association" http://www.eaaev.org/ last night for $35 so I could buy the Clipper Creek CS-100 for $2550 + $50 shipping, will end up with a $1300 credit + a few hundred for my electrician to pull the permit and install (its directly next to the panel and I already have the 100A SquareD Homeline 2 pole breaker ready to go)

Even if the EVSE's pricing comes down, I doubt the high end 100A models (80A to vehicle max) will anytime soon, just that J-1772 connector + cable assembly has to be some big bucks.

mitch672 said:
Even if the EVSE's pricing comes down, I doubt the high end 100A models (80A to vehicle max) will anytime soon, just that J-1772 connector + cable assembly has to be some big bucks.

+1

Back