JPC2822
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: San Gabriel, CA

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi Everyone.
Could you please tell me if the cost of the city permit (I paid $110) for my AV unit will be included in my tax credit?
Thanks!

Happy Holidays and Happy LEAF New YEAR! :D
John Paul Cabrera
LEAF Order date 09/01, Fontana Nissan
Next ride: Silver SL LEAF VIN 313 with License plate Qbn LEAF
Estimated delivery: Was Week of February 11th, now Week of Feb. 23rd
Delivered 02/14/11!
AV cash-and-carry installed 12/16/10

smkettner
Posts: 7262
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:48 pm

JPC2822 wrote:Hi Everyone.
Could you please tell me if the cost of the city permit (I paid $110) for my AV unit will be included in my tax credit?
Thanks!

Happy Holidays and Happy LEAF New YEAR! :D

All costs directly associated with the install should be included. Including the permit.
So get any paint and patch done also.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:30 am

garygid wrote:Robbing banks is done thousands of times a year too, and mostly without a permit.

Is your point above that you encourage others to do things illegally?

It seems that you frequently encourage others to do illegal things, perhaps because you and others have gotten away with it?



Gary, you are an alarmist and especially for a person who will likely not install an EVSE in 20111 and will not get a Leaf, you scare people with nonsense like an EVSE may have 300 volts running through it and could damage the car. Second, it is not Illegal to do something without a permit but it MAY be against a local city code, it is not against the law like robbing a bank which is an idiotic comparison. Who has ever been arrested for not getting a permit? I work in this industry and work with inspectors on a weekly basis and there are plenty of ways to install an EVSe without all the BS some are going through and there are simpler ways to get permits. If one already has an outlet there is no point in pulling a permit if you KNOW what you are doing or have someone that does. On one thread you suggested someone plug an EVSE into two outlets, is that "legal"? I know it's a permit violation for sure. I SF if you move an outlet one inch it needs a permit, do you think 95% of the people of electrical contractors pull a permit for that? It may be against the rules but the permit process has gotten out of hand in some areas. Gary, the next time you don;t come to a FULL and complete stop let us know, because that is against the law, more so than not having a UL sticker or permit to instal a 240 outlet 6 inches from a breaker panel.

The sky is still not Falling, I just checked.

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12455
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 pm

Yes, you are right.
Thanks.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

JPC2822
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: San Gabriel, CA

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello all.
My AV was installed at my house December 2010. I went to my tax man today- he supposedly had my taxes done or finished. He did not because he does not know about the AV charging station tax rebate. I had already found the tax document and he has it already (my tax man has it-he does not know if I qualify for the tax rebate). My tax man said he is not sure if I will get the 50% tax rebate because he says it may only be applicable for business purposes. Anyone know anything about this? Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!
John Paul Cabrera
LEAF Order date 09/01, Fontana Nissan
Next ride: Silver SL LEAF VIN 313 with License plate Qbn LEAF
Estimated delivery: Was Week of February 11th, now Week of Feb. 23rd
Delivered 02/14/11!
AV cash-and-carry installed 12/16/10

Glenn
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:32 pm
Delivery Date: 02 Jul 2011
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:27 pm

JPC2822 wrote:Hello all.
My AV was installed at my house December 2010. I went to my tax man today- he supposedly had my taxes done or finished. He did not because he does not know about the AV charging station tax rebate. I had already found the tax document and he has it already (my tax man has it-he does not know if I qualify for the tax rebate). My tax man said he is not sure if I will get the 50% tax rebate because he says it may only be applicable for business purposes. Anyone know anything about this? Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!

With all due respect, JPC, it sounds like you need a new tax man. What you're talking about is a tax credit, not a rebate. And, unless I've been mislead all this time, it is very much an individual, NOT a business, credit. I am not an accountant or a "tax man" but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Glenn

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11474
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:41 pm

The credit is available for both individuals & businesses. Businesses just get a bigger limit ...
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Glenn
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:32 pm
Delivery Date: 02 Jul 2011
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:10 pm

evnow wrote:The credit is available for both individuals & businesses. Businesses just get a bigger limit ...

thanks EV, I meant to say not JUST a business credit...

User avatar
TimeHorse
Gold Member
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 4:40 am
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011

Re: EVSE Tax Credit?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 am

JPC2822 wrote:Hello all.
My AV was installed at my house December 2010. I went to my tax man today- he supposedly had my taxes done or finished. He did not because he does not know about the AV charging station tax rebate. I had already found the tax document and he has it already (my tax man has it-he does not know if I qualify for the tax rebate). My tax man said he is not sure if I will get the 50% tax rebate because he says it may only be applicable for business purposes. Anyone know anything about this? Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!


Tell your accountant to read my blog entry: The EVSE Tax Credit a.k.a. The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit
RIP CO2 Fre, 27 months, 42,282 mi & 11 bars.
unAmerican Job & Nissan's Rapid Depreciation cost $20,000!
5 hours on the road daily w/o Charge at Work on 100%.

Long Live CO2 Fre, Maxed 2013 SL, 20,000 mi/yr lease.
http://aecn.timehorse.com/

guywithleaf
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:12 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2011
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA

Re: EVSE Tax Credit? AMT is a "killer"

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:50 am

Just to confirm what another "amateur" poster noted: The EVSE tax credit is NOT available to those who fall within the AMT (alternative minimum tax), form 8911 or not. So even having to pay $1 in AMT disqualifies you from any amount of tax credit. My CPA just confirmed this when I asked why I wasn't seeing the credit on my tax credit. So those who are thinking of purchasing may want to rethink the purchase option and try the lease or some other option. Fortunately I only lost up to half of the $2451 I paid to AV; I'm exploring other options for the Leaf itself.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”