GoSmart Residential EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Not available yet, it seems, but reported to be about $900.

Gary, they do have 3 units available now. They are intended to be for businesses to put outside to attract EV drivers, but they could be used for home use. Well two of the three would be good for home use. One is setup to allow for a credit card swipe to enable the charger and charge for use, but the other two are intended to be free. They list for about $2250.

The unit that is intended to be for residential use is not listed on the site because it is not available yet, an it is expected to be sold for under $900.

The 3 shown on the site:
No indication of price, or a way to order one.

No "Residential" model shown or described, ...

I phoned and "sales" did not answer, so I left a voice message.

Then, I also used their "contact" to ask about P&A.

Has anybody ordered one?
Which one?

I don't know if anybody purchased one, but when I spoke with them on the phone, they were quite helpful and seemed to know what they were talking about unlike some others I've spoken to and heard about. I called to see about purchasing one for my business, but also inquired about one for my home. In a followup email from the telephone conversation he sent the following...

...We were discussing the RF-30A & the RF-50A. With the costs starting at $2250. We also discussed the Home charging unit with a retail of less than $900. Once that is ready for final delivery, I will let you know...

The RF30 and RF50 were supposed to be in stock, but I was not interested at the time because it is just a bit too much, and I know the prices will fall next year.

I spoke with Brian Smith.

Talked with these guys the other day on the phone. They seem pretty ligit... Here is what I got from the conversation

1. The RF unit is available for orders. Delivery is about 45days depending on where they are in a production cycle
2. The PS (public) Units are available to order with deliveries starting the first part of February
3. What they are calling the home unit is still in development but is expected in the second quarter of this year
4. What I found most impressive is that they stated that they had completed testing with the volt at GM's proving grounds last year, and even offered to provide me with a copy of the testing report from GM. With all the talk on this forum of some companies EVSE's not working or adhering to the J1772 standard knowing that they Passed GM testing gives me confidence their box will actually work even if I really haven't heard of them before

I did not get too much into pricing with them but they said their home unit is targeted to be under 1K retail. I have a little while to wait for my leaf and I may go with a bigger guy for my charger but I might give these guys another look when the time comes

over all a good conversation and I would second the opinion they seem to know what they are talking about

Just like with Charge America, I would like to say- Don't waste your money on start up EVSE companies that are out to make a quick buck because they think "it's the next big thing". These are going to be a commodity soon, unless you don't care about throwing money away, buy from a reputable and established company. Don't go through what others have been warned about and get burned or inconvenienced.

I think that's a bit of an unfair statement EVDRIVER. You are Saying that because they are not a company Like GE or Leviton they can not make a good product and are just out to make a "quick buck". You don't think GE and Leviton are out to make a quick buck??? how long have they made EVSE equipment???? Or are you saying because they can make a dimmer switch and a washing machine they can make good charging stations. Saying all start-ups are bad because of one company is just silly. A good company is run well and a bad company is not the size of the company is fairly irrelevant. It all comes down to Due diligence. I agree with you after what I have heard and seen EVCA will never get my money but I'm not going to punish anyone else for it... GoSmart tested with the volt so we can have some assurance that the stations adhere to the standard. I will be waiting to see when their home unit comes out before I make my decision.

Back