First question... are there any free chargers left for Los Angeles LEAF reservations that were made in May? If I know that all available L.A. area free chargers have been reserved, that really simplifies the decision. If they haven't been reserved, will there likely be any still available for a January order with (likely) May delivery? If I know that there are unlikely to be any free chargers left by the January/May order/delivery time frame, that will also simplify my decision.
Assuming the unlikely availability of free chargers in L.A. by the January/May order/delivery time frame, I can either purchase and install one of the charging units available now (Coulomb CT500) to claim the 2010 tax credit, or I can wait until 2011, likely lose the tax credit, but have better options.
The Coulomb CT500 is pricey, at $1850, and will require at least $500 to install, for a total of $2350. If I buy and install it (and get inspection and approval) by the end of the month, I'll pay only $1175 after the 50% tax credit.
I'm guessing the Leviton evr-green 160 will cost significantly less that $1850, and will cost less to install because I won't need to upgrade my 30 amp circuit breaker, but this model won't be available until 2011, so I will (most likely) lose the tax credit. The evr-green 160 is a 3.8 kW charger (compared to 7.2 kW for the Coulomb CT500), but I understand the LEAF Level 2 charger is limited to 3.8 kW anyway, so the CT500 won't charge the LEAF any faster than the eg-160.
So, which of the following decisions do you recommend (and why?):
- buy and install CT500 now to get the 2010 tax credit
- wait until 2011 for the possibility of a free charger
- wait until 2011 for the possibility of cheaper alternatives to the CT500 (but no tax credit)
Any info that might help me make a decision will be appreciated. TIA!