Remaining free EVSEs in Los Angeles or tax credit in 2010?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoobb

I'm facing an urgent dilemma about whether to buy and install a Coulomb CT500 in 2010, or wait for possibly better options (possibly a free charger) in 2011. I made my LEAF reservation on May 15, in Los Angeles. I did not sign up for the free charger until today, so it will be a while before I know if I will be selected for a free charger.

First question... are there any free chargers left for Los Angeles LEAF reservations that were made in May? If I know that all available L.A. area free chargers have been reserved, that really simplifies the decision. If they haven't been reserved, will there likely be any still available for a January order with (likely) May delivery? If I know that there are unlikely to be any free chargers left by the January/May order/delivery time frame, that will also simplify my decision.

Assuming the unlikely availability of free chargers in L.A. by the January/May order/delivery time frame, I can either purchase and install one of the charging units available now (Coulomb CT500) to claim the 2010 tax credit, or I can wait until 2011, likely lose the tax credit, but have better options.

The Coulomb CT500 is pricey, at $1850, and will require at least $500 to install, for a total of $2350. If I buy and install it (and get inspection and approval) by the end of the month, I'll pay only $1175 after the 50% tax credit.

I'm guessing the Leviton evr-green 160 will cost significantly less that $1850, and will cost less to install because I won't need to upgrade my 30 amp circuit breaker, but this model won't be available until 2011, so I will (most likely) lose the tax credit. The evr-green 160 is a 3.8 kW charger (compared to 7.2 kW for the Coulomb CT500), but I understand the LEAF Level 2 charger is limited to 3.8 kW anyway, so the CT500 won't charge the LEAF any faster than the eg-160.

So, which of the following decisions do you recommend (and why?):
  • buy and install CT500 now to get the 2010 tax credit
  • wait until 2011 for the possibility of a free charger
  • wait until 2011 for the possibility of cheaper alternatives to the CT500 (but no tax credit)

Any info that might help me make a decision will be appreciated. TIA!

See this breaking news topic from just a few hours ago.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1996

Seems that there may be a tax credit for you in 2011 after all. Remember, though, that the EVSE tax credit is not available to you if you pay Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).

yoobb said:
I'm facing an urgent dilemma about whether to buy and install a Coulomb CT500 in 2010, or wait for possibly better options (possibly a free charger) in 2011. I made my LEAF reservation on May 15, in Los Angeles. I did not sign up for the free charger until today, so it will be a while before I know if I will be selected for a free charger.

First question... are there any free chargers left for Los Angeles LEAF reservations that were made in May? Any info that might help me make a decision will be appreciated. TIA!

Once you let the EV Project know that you are interested in participating (fill out their survey) and getting the free charger, then it is up to them to choose you! You have to fit certain unknown criteria that they have for participants. Speculation about the criteria might be zip code, gender, type of house, predicted EV usage, type of driving you do, etc. So there is really no predicting on our end of whether you will get picked.

Call by telephone Ecotality at their closest office (find it on there web site) and inquire directly about the possibility of a free charger. Here in San Diego, the Ecotality office is very approachable with questions. I suspect the L A office will be the same.

stanley said:
Call by telephone Ecotality at their closest office (find it on there web site) and inquire directly about the possibility of a free charger. Here in San Diego, the Ecotality office is very approachable with questions. I suspect the L A office will be the same.

Tried that. Was told I live in the wrong zip code. :cry:

Back