2015 Tax Credit for EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pncguy

Does anyone know if the recent two year funding bill passed by congress extends the tax credit for installing EVSE? I know last year it got extended at the last minute, but I can't find any indication that this was even under consideration for this year.

There may well be state credits, but I'm talking about the "Alternative Refueling Tax Credit section of IRS Section 30(C) [which] extends the tax credits for EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) and [was] available through December 31, 2014. Individuals can deduct 30 percent of the cost of purchasing and installing an EVSE up to $1,000." This was from the BMW blog and was for last tax year. I am wondering if they passed an extension again for 2015.

As far as I know, it was allowed to expire...

pncguy said:
Does anyone know if the recent two year funding bill passed by congress extends the tax credit for installing EVSE? I know last year it got extended at the last minute, but I can't find any indication that this was even under consideration for this year.

As wmcbrinestated, I believe it's only a state credit. Here in New York I believe its 50%.

Dyefrog said:
As wmcbrinestated, I believe it's only a state credit. Here in New York I believe its 50%.

There was a federal credit that ended last year. That is what the OP was referring to.

I just downloaded the text of the bill and searched for "electric" and "charge" and came up empty, so I am assuming there is nothing in the bill about the tax credit. :( Perhaps they'll get it in before the end of the year?

Just to post some up to date information, the federal tax credit was renewed and is retroactive to 2015.

See: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

When you file your taxes, fill out Form 8911.

...Lance

lpickup said:
Just to post some up to date information, the federal tax credit was renewed and is retroactive to 2015.

...Lance
Hey thanks Lance! Timely info considering I'm just working on my taxes.
So it looks like if one spent money on a EVSE and or installation costs to hook up the EVSE, you can deduct 30% of the costs. I'm assuming the 30% is deducted from your gross income so it's really 30%(or whatever tax bracket your in) of the 30% of your EVSE and install. For example if your EVSE and installation came to $1000 you'd be able to deduct $300 off your gross income which in my example would save you $90......a far cry from your $1000 install cost but still better than nothing. Note this is compared to the $7500 federal tax credit that some of you may have got if you purchased your Leaf. In that case assuming you paid over $7500 in taxes, you actually got back $7500 back from the IRS, thats nice :)

I had tentatively decided not to seek this credit, because I bought an OpenEVSE -- not UL-certified -- and plugged it into an outlet that I installed myself (connected to an existing line). So, I don't think I have the kind of documentation that the government would want. Does anyone disagree?

jjeff said:
So it looks like if one spent money on a EVSE and or installation costs to hook up the EVSE, you can deduct 30% of the costs. I'm assuming the 30% is deducted from your gross income so it's really 30%(or whatever tax bracket your in) of the 30% of your EVSE and install. For example if your EVSE and installation came to $1000 you'd be able to deduct $300 off your gross income which in my example would save you $90......a far cry from your $1000 install cost but still better than nothing.

No, it's truly a credit. You'd subtract the full $300 off the amount you owe (or add $300 to your refund). It's NOT a deduction. (standard caveat that you would need at least $300 of tax liability to be eligible).

Now, I recall 5 years ago when I took the the EV credit that there was some issue with not being able to take both that credit (the $7500 one) and the EVSE credit at the same time, except under certain very rare circumstances. I suspect one way or another that limitation still exists. 5 years ago I received a free EVSE, so there was no credit to take, and THIS time we got a second EV (but this time it was leased, so I didn't take the credit myself) that required another EVSE, so taking the EVSE credit was no problem for me.

lpickup said:
jjeff said:
So it looks like if one spent money on a EVSE and or installation costs to hook up the EVSE, you can deduct 30% of the costs. I'm assuming the 30% is deducted from your gross income so it's really 30%(or whatever tax bracket your in) of the 30% of your EVSE and install. For example if your EVSE and installation came to $1000 you'd be able to deduct $300 off your gross income which in my example would save you $90......a far cry from your $1000 install cost but still better than nothing.

No, it's truly a credit. You'd subtract the full $300 off the amount you owe (or add $300 to your refund). It's NOT a deduction. (standard caveat that you would need at least $300 of tax liability to be eligible).
Thanks for the clarification, thats much better then. And actually thinking about my example I think it would even be worse as the 30% I was quoting was average of what I generally pay for both Federal and state, of which state wouldn't count. Glad it's a true credit like the $7500 EV tax credit, which because of my tax situation the year I got the Leaf I was only able to claim $6k as that was my liability that year. Kind of stung not being able to claim the full $7500 but it is what it is.

wmcbrine said:
I had tentatively decided not to seek this credit, because I bought an OpenEVSE -- not UL-certified -- and plugged it into an outlet that I installed myself (connected to an existing line). So, I don't think I have the kind of documentation that the government would want. Does anyone disagree?
Yes I didn't claim my JuiceBox for the same reason, also I had already maxed out my tax liability that year with the $7500 EV credit so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

wmcbrine said:

Yes. I disagree. I doubt the tax rule requires the equipment to be UL - certified. The only documentation you would need is a simple receipt from OpenEVSE. And that's only if you get audited (<0.1% chance.... maybe).

You can't deduct for your own time / labor on the install, but I think you are on very safe ground with respect the hardware cost. You spent the money, so claim the credit.

DoobeeDude said:
wmcbrine said:

Yes. I disagree. I doubt the tax rule requires the equipment to be UL - certified. The only documentation you would need is a simple receipt from OpenEVSE. And that's only if you get audited (<0.1% chance.... maybe).

I disagree as well. I built my own unit, and I just saved copies of my invoices on the components I ordered for the unit. I suppose you never know for sure what constitutes acceptable documentation until you are audited, but I have receipts for all the parts that went into my home built unit. And my reading of the form instructions is that you could even claim installation costs, so I'm not even sure that deducting your own time for installing would be ruled out (as long as it was a competitive amount), although I wasn't willing to push the envelope that far myself.

lpickup said:
DoobeeDude said:
wmcbrine said:

I disagree as well. I built my own unit, and I just saved copies of my invoices on the components I ordered for the unit. I suppose you never know for sure what constitutes acceptable documentation until you are audited, but I have receipts for all the parts that went into my home built unit. And my reading of the form instructions is that you could even claim installation costs, so I'm not even sure that deducting your own time for installing would be ruled out (as long as it was a competitive amount), although I wasn't willing to push the envelope that far myself.

And I agree with the disagreements. I've not seen any NRTL/UL requirements for the federal tax credit but I would expect there to be requirements like that for local utility rebates like Puget Sound Energy offers.

Your documentation would be simply the OpenEVSE/Juicebox receipt + any hardware you had to buy to install it. Note that there is some notion that it must be installed so you may not want to deduct the EVSE that you keep in the trunk of your car.

lpickup said:

...Lance
Thanks for the link. I'll be using this next tax season since just installed a JuiceBox 40. :)

Back