AV EVSE maybe availble soon for non-roll out states

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch672

I figured I would call Nissan and AV and see if my "dashboard" could have the flag set for the "Home Assesment Waiver", which Nissan did... then I called AV, and, because they are not doing home assements in my area yet, there doesn't seem to be a way for them to enable me to buy the AV EVSE "cash & carry".

So the guy from AV worked on it a a wile, and finally called me back. He tells me they have to "involve IT" (sounds bad, doesn't it?), and they will see if they can program a way around this, so that those of us who are still very far away from ordering their Leafs, could possibly still get an AV EVSE cash & carry.

Since IT is out this week, it won't be in 2010, but it will probably be resolved in 2011, and I guess a %30 2011 Federal Tax credit is better than maybe no credit in 2012 possibly (who nows what or if their will be a credit in 2012, when most of our cars would be comming in)

I will update this thread when I hear back from AV, to see if they can get this done. The AV EVSE @ about $800 is still one of the lowest cost units availble. Clipper Creek is too pricey @ $2300, ChargePoint CT-500 is over $2,000, Ecotality, well that's for people in the EV project, doubt they even have a way to "sell one" to you, and as for Leviton/Schnieder Electric (SquareD), those are not availble yet, and even in early 2011, Leviton will only have the 16AMP model availble.... sorry, if I am going to spend any money in advance, I want at least a 7.2KW (30A) EVSE

Mitch,
I suspect the 32-amp SPX plug-in (or hardwire if you prefer), L1/L2 EVSE will become available in Q1, PERHAPS even "earlier" in Q1.

Rumored to be a "reasonable" price, too.

Would that EVSE work for your use?

probably, SPX will be ok and would work, I suspect it won't be a 32A EVSE though (probably a 240V 16A plug in model), the Levton 16A model will be similar as well..

t can't hurt to see if AV can also make their EVSE also availble, I suspect the price will be similar on both, and some people may prefer a wall mounted unit 7.2KW capable (30A).

It was only a few phone calls, we'll see what comes of it. Nissan was firm on it not being availble, but AV, they want to sell EVSEs, so we'll see who wins this battle.

It sort of makes sense, if you think about it.. people in 36 states have 9-12 months before even being able to order their cars, why can't they have their garages/charging solutions ready, if they are aware of the issue and want to be proactive? all we have is time...

Apparently you have not read the SPX specs for their 32-amp EVSE?

Google
SPX EVSE
and take the first link.

Choose "Product Information" from the left column.

Then, read the pdf "specifications" file.
I think you will like it.

http://www.servicesolutions.spx.com/pdf/SS10-283_evse_spcsht4.pdf

looks like it has a 15' cable with it, but appears to be the equivilant of the AV EVSE-RS.

Looks different than the one on page 19 of their earlier presentation, which does shows it using an 14-50P plug

http://servicesolutions.spx.com/pdf/EVSE_Presentation_NAIAS.pdf

I guess it depends on the cost and which is availble to us in non-rollout states, we know the EV EVSE exists now, so I am working on seeing if it can become availble to non-roll out states ASAP for now. If and when SPX comes out with an actual product that is shippable, then I will look at that as well.

I would not buy the AV until some competitors flashed some prices
You have soooo much time. Hindsight is 20/20 so patience will pay.
I would wait at least until you have actually ordered. The price will only go down, features and avalability will only go up.

I would be most interested in a recessed mount that just sat in the wall like a surface mount subpanel.
But nothing like that seems to be on the radar.

right now, we CAN'T buy the AV EVSE, since we are shunned by Nissan still. All I am trying to do is see if we can get that option. Doesn't mean I am going to rush out and plunk down my $800, it's nice to have the option, and right now, we don't. If the 2011 %30 credit isn't extended into 2012, then we will all most likely be buying an EVSE in 2011, to at least get the %30 Fedeal Tax credit, because who knows what 2012 holds (end of the world, 12/12/2012?)

SPX 32-Amp EVSE

Wall mounting: "Slide Mounting to wall bracket"

They indicate that it can be hard wired or used Plug-In

I have inquired about the e-hose length options.

I would want 25 feet, since 15 feet seems too restrictive.

Back