Leviton EVBL2-P18 Level 2 Evr-Green Mini EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeff

Is anyone familiar with this portable EVSE?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173JGZNQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2FOFVDA67L13W&coliid=IW7AKGK9DVRIA&psc=1
For $449 it's not a bad looking 20a(all they say is "nearly 5kw") Level 2 EVSE, 18' cord and looks to be as portable as our OEM 120v EVSE.
I like the idea it can go to 20a whereas most other portable EVSEs max out at 16a 240v. I've asked the question on Amazon if it will work on both 120v as well as 240v but as of yet no one has answered and from my experience many people on Amazon don't really experiment, if it only says 240v, well thats gospel. I find it hard to believe it would be only 240v but I suppose it could be.
I still think upgrading your factory EVSE via iEngineer seems to be the way to go for maximum flexibility, 120v-240v and adjustable output amperage, sometimes as high as 20a 240a but this little charger(if it also does 120v at a lower or adjustable amperage) would be a nice option.
Leviton is a respected name, too bad it has a rather orphan(for most EV users) NEMA 6-30p but I suppose you could easily enough cut it off and add your own plug or make a plug converter to a more standard L14-30p or even L6-30p.
Looks like all but 1 review was given the EVSE free to the people reviewing it and the #1 review didn't even hook his up, he didn't want to mess with the odd plug and said he already had a level 2 EVSE :?

smkettner said:
Too bad Levition stopped at 20 amps :(
I'm guessing they did that so they could use just 12 gauge wire and not the more expensive and bulky 10 gauge but I agree more might be nicer but IMO not at the expense of a bulkier and heavier package. For the most part I get by just fine with my 20a iEngineer upgraded OEM EVSE, I use it almost exclusively even though I have access to a 30a Juicebox EVSE, I just like the lightness and lighter cord on the OEM unit. Mainly I'd like the Leviton EVSE to have an easily adjustable amperage so I could dial it down when plugging in areas that don't have access to a full 20a, that and 120v operation which so far I'm not sure whether the Leviton has or not. For a single EVSE to be carried around in the car it would need to be able to be operated on 120v for emergencies and areas without access to 240v, at least IMO.
I've seen portable user adjustable amperage EVSEs at Amazon but other than this one not one that goes to a full 20a, at least in the <$500 price range.

Well a rep from Leviton left a phone number on my Amazon question and I called. The rep reiterated the EVSE is ONLY for 208-240v operation and a 30a circuit. I asked if I used adapter plugs to 120v if it would work and he said it was rated for 30a so 120v wouldn't work. I said I had access to 30a 120v(TT-30 outlet) but he said using it on 120v would void the warranty. So there we have it, again it may very well work on 120v but you'd void the warranty and it would probably be a full 20a, too much for a standard household 20a outlet.
I asked if they had a model with a longer cord than 18' and he said they showed a 24' model but he wasn't sure if it was to be released or if they were just thinking about it. Apparently this model is very new for Leviton. The 800# I called(actually 1-(877) 338-7473) was just for EVSE's so apparently they are serious about the EVSE market, wish it was more flexible for voltage and amperage but it is what it is, a very portable 240v 20a EVSE, oh with a 10 gauge cord according to the rep. Nice they went the extra mile with a 10 gauge cord, they could have squeaked by with a 12 gauge cord but they didn't, which is a good sign IMO.

Just got mines installed. It's about as compact as the OEM 120v charger but has thinker gauge wires.

Seems to work fine, lmk if you've got any questions.

1. Does it say on the EVSE "240vac only" or something to that effect and do you plan on trying it(at least for a short period of time only on a 20+ circuit)? I say 20a+ because if the current is non adjustable and it still draws the full 20a @ 120v(it's possible it could draw less like the evseUpgrade units) you don't want to be plugging it into a 15a circuit and only into a 20a for short test, an extended draw would no doubt blow your house panel breaker/fuse and be unwise. If it does draw 20a @ 120v the only outlet I'd use for an extended period of time would be a 30a TT30 such as used in RV parks.
Note if you have a older Leaf(pre '13 I believe? or a S without the 6/6Kw upgraded charger) you might not have to worry about drawing 20a @120v as I believe those models won't draw more than 16??a @120v, someone else might know for sure.

2. Anyway to change the charging current? I doubt it as it mentions nothing of that feature but I thought I'd ask.

3. What did you do about the somewhat odd power connector, make and adapter, find a outlet like it, cut it off and put something more common for EV use?

4. Glad it seems well made, other than the charging cable being thicker is it still flexible and do you think it would be in cold weather use? IOW is it rubber like the OEM EVSE or more vinyl/plastic and prone to getting stiff as the temps drop? Something very important to use in cold weather climates.

5. Did you get yours from Amazon or somewhere else, if the latter where may I ask?

Personally I might be interested in such a portable and well made EVSE units as a spare. For me 120v would be pretty important and the ability to limit the charging current, particularly on 120v operation.
Thanks

jjeff said:
1. Does it say on the EVSE "240vac only" or something to that effect and do you plan on trying it(at least for a short period of time only on a 20+ circuit)? I say 20a+ because if the current is non adjustable and it still draws the full 20a @ 120v(it's possible it could draw less like the evseUpgrade units) you don't want to be plugging it into a 15a circuit and only into a 20a for short test, an extended draw would no doubt blow your house panel breaker/fuse and be unwise. If it does draw 20a @ 120v the only outlet I'd use for an extended period of time would be a 30a TT30 such as used in RV parks.
Note if you have a older Leaf(pre '13 I believe? or a S without the 6/6Kw upgraded charger) you might not have to worry about drawing 20a @120v as I believe those models won't draw more than 16??a @120v, someone else might know for sure.

2. Anyway to change the charging current? I doubt it as it mentions nothing of that feature but I thought I'd ask.

3. What did you do about the somewhat odd power connector, make and adapter, find a outlet like it, cut it off and put something more common for EV use?

4. Glad it seems well made, other than the charging cable being thicker is it still flexible and do you think it would be in cold weather use? IOW is it rubber like the OEM EVSE or more vinyl/plastic and prone to getting stiff as the temps drop? Something very important to use in cold weather climates.

5. Did you get yours from Amazon or somewhere else, if the latter where may I ask?

Personally I might be interested in such a portable and well made EVSE units as a spare. For me 120v would be pretty important and the ability to limit the charging current, particularly on 120v operation.
Thanks

1. I don't recall it saying anything about 120v but will check later. It is currently on a 30 amp circuit in my garage. My Leaf is 2013 SL. My Leaf Spy says it pulls 4.2kw on the Leviton.

2. Nope, current isn't user changeable.

3. I just ended up wiring a new 240v 30 amp circuit that's Nema 6-30R (to match the plug) for my garage.

4. It is rubber, and quite flexible but not as much as the OEM one, but similar.

5. Yes from amazon, I posted a tiny review on it.

I like the end of the plug because it has notches/groves for my fingers so it can be easily unplugged.

Yes I saw that new short review pop up a couple days ago, did you learn about it from here or find it yourself on Amazon? The EVSE listing is kind of hard to find on Amazon yourself, at least I had a hard time finding it at first. I searched for Level 2 EVSE(as I do every so often) and I believe it was the last thing listed on several pages of results. I think it might be easier to find now but I've bookmarked it so it's easy for me to find anyway.
Without plug adapters(which it sounds like you may not be using) it would be hard to really test on 120v. Other than not working I doubt it would harm anything if it wasn't meant for 120v but if your the type that doesn't really like to experiment around you may not want to risk trying something that isn't verified as working, I understand. Do you plan on carrying yours around in the car as a portable or just hang it on the wall? If your going to carry it around would you also still carry the OEM EVSE?
Again note if you try it on 120v make sure it's a dedicated 20a circuit, if it draws a full 20a it should work for testing but I wouldn't want to run it for an extended period of time without being able to lower the current closer to 16a.
Thanks for answering my other questions, sounds like for what it's advertised as being able to do, it's a nice EVSE.

jjeff said:
Yes I saw that new short review pop up a couple days ago, did you learn about it from here or find it yourself on Amazon? The EVSE listing is kind of hard to find on Amazon yourself, at least I had a hard time finding it at first. I searched for Level 2 EVSE(as I do every so often) and I believe it was the last thing listed on several pages of results. I think it might be easier to find now but I've bookmarked it so it's easy for me to find anyway.
Without plug adapters(which it sounds like you may not be using) it would be hard to really test on 120v. Other than not working I doubt it would harm anything if it wasn't meant for 120v but if your the type that doesn't really like to experiment around you may not want to risk trying something that isn't verified as working, I understand. Do you plan on carrying yours around in the car as a portable or just hang it on the wall? If your going to carry it around would you also still carry the OEM EVSE?
Again note if you try it on 120v make sure it's a dedicated 20a circuit, if it draws a full 20a it should work for testing but I wouldn't want to run it for an extended period of time without being able to lower the current closer to 16a.
Thanks for answering my other questions, sounds like for what it's advertised as being able to do, it's a nice EVSE.

I found it in Google while searching for portable evse. At first I ordered it through homedepot.com, but they delivered to wrong address (different city, state). So got a refund and decided to order amazon since they're awesome.

I'm not using any plug adapters and not comfortable experimenting with it in a 120v outlet. I only carry the OEM evse in the car, but maybe at some point may carry the Leviton as well once I install it at another home I frequent.

Attached is pic of the evse saying to use 240v.

Totally understand not wanting to try 120v, besides the label makes it pretty clean that it's only 240v in and 240v out :)
I've been reading a few posts on Amazon where the unit failed to charge, one on a timer situation where the person woke up to find his Leaf not charged :( and the most recent from a Volt owner who plugged his in to charge but nothing happened. In both cases unplugging and replugging in the EVSE initiated charging. The Volt owner was OK as he saw it right away and just power cycled the EVSE, the Leaf owner was quite bummed as he needed the charge now, and didn't have time to wait.
Just pointing this out so your aware of it, and if it happens to you please update this post(and maybe your Amazon post) stating what happened. If you use timers you might want to just use immediate charging so you can make sure charging starts, until you know for sure everything is working for you, every time. Note after the first post(the Leaf owner) a mfg. rep posted on Amazon wanting to know more specifics to find a solution but the OP hasn't posted back yet, not sure if they contacted Leviton directly or just aren't monitoring their Amazon comments. Just something to possibly be aware of :)

Update, I returned my Leviton. After a few days of use, it became apparent to me that it sometimes has a bit of friction to plug it in, you have to angle it just right for it to connect smoothly, otherwise you can use more force and it'll charge. Which I find annoying.

For anyone interested, not sure how long it's been since the priced dropped on the short 12' model but at $317.90 and free shipping($81 less than last time I saw it($399) it seems to be a decent deal on a major brand, albeit with a very short cord and a somewhat odd plug(6-30) for EV use.
The longer 18' cord model is still way overpriced IMO($449).
Again this is a ~4.2kw EVSE(17.5a) so it would need a 30a circuit which is kind of stupid IMO, I mean if you need a 30a circuit and it has 10 gauge wire why not max it out at 24a :? but it is what it is, the $317.90 is a decent price for a name brand L2 I guess.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173JGZ18/ref=twister_B01960L42C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back