ChargePoint Home Station, Any Good?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevintylernelson

Hi Everyone,

After dealing with all of the issues with my extension cords failing with the TurboCord, I began looking around for a dedicated EVSE station instead to take advantage of the MD tax credit. My questions are, does anyone here have the outdoor model installed, how is it? Have you ever used it in conjunction with a J1772 extension cable, like the one below:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm

I have the charge point home and love it (although it is my first and only home EVSE). I have the hardwired version with a 25ft cord. It was easy to install and the app is nice.

I am looking at the Chargepoint Home, too. One question I can't seem to find an answer to: does the light on it stay on at all times?

I'll be mounting mine outside and I'm not sure I want my house to have an always-on glowing light.

bullcityleaf said:
I am looking at the Chargepoint Home, too. One question I can't seem to find an answer to: does the light on it stay on at all times?
From what I can tell, yes.

If the light stays on, just put a piece of thick tape over it. It may look a bit redneckafied during the day but will solve the problem.

I live in Maryland and I just had it installed yesterday and the light will always stay on.
I got the hardwired 25ft cable version installed outdoor.
I purchased it from Amazon.com and installation cost me $399 through Acumen Remodeling.
Very happy with the EVSE and installation service.

sgp777 said:
I live in Maryland and I just had it installed yesterday and the light will always stay on.
I purchased it from Amazon.com and installation cost me $399 through Acumen Remodeling.

Just be aware that they have 2 models. The $399 unit is only 16A output. It will likely fully charge your Leaf overnight.

GlennD said:
sgp777 said:

Just be aware that they have 2 models. The $399 unit is only 16A output. It will likely fully charge your Leaf overnight.

I purchased the hardwired version with 32A and 25 foot cable.
It cost $699 plus tax.

One thing I really like about ChargPoint Home is the being able to look in the app to see if my Leaf is fully charged. It takes less than a second to check the charge status in the ChargePoint app compared to 30-45 seconds with the NissanConnect EV app (when it was actually working).

If you are looking for a well built EVSE with no lights what so ever and smartphone/web connectivity, I'd recommend that you take a look at JuiceBox Pro 40. This has a 25' cable, is a true 40A system and costs less than Chargepoint home.

http://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-WiFi-equipped-Electric-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B00UB9R4KO

Keep in mind that "true 40 amp" means having a dedicated circuit of at least 50 amps, which may be more than what your home can handle without an expensive electrical upgrade, particularly if your panel is rated at less than 150 amps. I'm not sure if it can be dialed down like the GE Durastation can. A 40 amp EVSE also won't charge your Leaf, or for that matter most sub $40k EVs, any faster than a 30 amp unit, though it does provide for some future-proofing.

If you don't need connectivity and want to save about $50, there's the Clipper Creek HCS-40 for $565: https://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40-32a-240v-charging-25-cord/ It's a 32 amp EVSE which is more than most sub-$40k EVs can charge at but takes full advantage of a 40 amp circuit.

RonDawg said:
Keep in mind that "true 40 amp" means having a dedicated circuit of at least 50 amps, which may be more than what your home can handle without an expensive electrical upgrade, particularly if your panel is rated at less than 150 amps. I'm not sure if it can be dialed down like the GE Durastation can. A 40 amp EVSE also won't charge your Leaf, or for that matter most sub $40k EVs, any faster than a 30 amp unit, though it does provide for some future-proofing.

If you don't need connectivity and want to save about $50, there's the Clipper Creek HCS-40 for $565: https://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40-32a-240v-charging-25-cord/ It's a 32 amp EVSE which is more than most sub-$40k EVs can charge at but takes full advantage of a 40 amp circuit.

All J1772 compliant cars including the Leaf will charge at 10A or greater on 240V. The car sets the current so an enhanced Leaf will draw 27.5A from a 28A or a spec max 80A EVSE. More current is more cost for wasted capability. If you tell it less then it will respect that so a modified stock EVSE will charge from 16A to I think 24A.

I burned up my poor quality FPE 100A panel. I now charge at 40A from an Eaton 200A panel. Funny thing, it caught on fire at 4:30AM with no load. I guess my Leaf weakened the wiring. Ouch, $400 for an emergency repair.

GlennD said:
All J1772 compliant cars including the Leaf will charge at 10A or greater on 240V. The car sets the current so an enhanced Leaf will draw 27.5A from a 28A or a spec max 80A EVSE. More current is more cost for wasted capability. If you tell it less then it will respect that so a modified stock EVSE will charge from 16A to I think 24A.

I burned up my poor quality FPE 100A panel. I now charge at 40A from an Eaton 200A panel. Funny thing, it caught on fire at 4:30AM with no load. I guess my Leaf weakened the wiring. Ouch, $400 for an emergency repair.

Sorry, I am lost - are you saying that if we buy 40A or 50A circuit to charge the car we waste electricity since the car is not drawing that much as provided but only 27.5A? Please correct me. Thanks

No you won't waste electricity. A Leaf with a 6.6 kW charger can only draw 27.5 amps at the most, so hooking it up to a 40 amp or greater EVSE won't make it charge faster. The waste comes in spending more money for a more powerful EVSE that won't immediately benefit you, and as you go up in amperage the more likely an expensive electrical service upgrade will be necessary.

However, if your current electric service already has the capability, or you are having to upgrade it anyway, having a more powerful EVSE does provide a bit of protection against obsolescence. As battery sizes grow, charging speeds will need to grow to keep recharging times reasonable.

RonDawg said:
No you won't waste electricity. A Leaf with a 6.6 kW charger can only draw 27.5 amps at the most, so hooking it up to a 40 amp or greater EVSE won't make it charge faster. The waste comes in spending more money for a more powerful EVSE that won't immediately benefit you, and as you go up in amperage the more likely an expensive electrical service upgrade will be necessary.

However, if your current electric service already has the capability, or you are having to upgrade it anyway, having a more powerful EVSE does provide a bit of protection against obsolescence. As battery sizes grow, charging speeds will need to grow to keep recharging times reasonable.

Thanks very much

Back