fooljoe
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2011

Re: EVSE wiring and/or GFI Breaker

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:28 pm

koolkev wrote:Thanks for pointing out the outdoor rating issue. I did get the 40P. I'm going to chance it with California weather and not "needing" it regularly. I have a 110v outlet in the garage but cement and such in the path for a new 220 in the garage. I was looking at a big NEAMA 4 enclosure but $700 more is not in the picture. That was for an enclosure big enough for everything including the cable.
$700?! Looking on Amazon, there appear to be all kinds of large electrical boxes for about $100 or less - and you don't need to have the cord inside. I agree that you probably will be fine installing it "unprotected" though, especially if it's not directly exposed, and if you at least put the outlet in some sort of box.
So I think it would have passed muster as indoor. Just run the cable out a grommited hole in the bottom. I got the RV outlet with cover and the GFI breaker so if I'm charging or letting someone else charge they can use 220.

I want to be able to take the 220 charger on trips so if I get somewhere with a 220 outlet I'm in business. I'm looking at RV campsites etc.
Just remember that with your EVSE choice you can ONLY use >=40 amp outlets, which in practice means only RV outlets or if you're verylucky a 50 amp dryer or range outlet. If you think you'll ever have the chance to charge off of lesser 240V outlets, e.g. 30 amp dryer outlets, you'll need another EVSE that can be adjusted to draw less current.
RavCharge.com | 2012 Rav4-EV | 2011 Leaf SL w/QC batt replaced 11/20/15 | Clipper Creek CS-60 | EVSEupgraded 2013 Leaf EVSE | 3.84kw PV

BlueandFav
Leaf Number: 302411

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am

Yesterday I had a 14-50 outlet installed for a Juicebox Pro. It's on a GFCI breaker because that is the code as of two weeks ago. The electrician said I would likely get some nuisance tripping and that GFCI breakers aren't necessary but inspectors don't care, thems the rules.

The Juicebox seems to be working correctly but my leaf doesn't like it. I can charge with the level one cable but when I plug in Juicebox cable I get the three lights flashing then they go dark. No breaker tripping though.

The Juicebox says not to plug into a protected outlet so I was hoping it would work but expected problems. Electrician said I can switch out the breaker if I have problems. Tomorrow the inspector will check it out. I'll see what he says. I'm assuming the GFCI breaker is the problem.
2016 S 24kWh

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:04 am

BlueandFav wrote:The Juicebox says not to plug into a protected outlet so I was hoping it would work but expected problems. Electrician said I can switch out the breaker if I have problems. Tomorrow the inspector will check it out. I'll see what he says. I'm assuming the GFCI breaker is the problem.

Switch out the breaker temporarily for a non-GFI. If the problem goes away then it's the breaker. If the problem remains then it's either the Juice Box or your LEAF. I take it the LEAF is good with other L2 EVSEs (ie: public ones)?

A GFI breaker is code here too, at least for outdoor outlets, but I'm only going to be using it for my compressor and maybe every once in a while for one or other of the cars, using the EVSE Upgrade modified Nissan brick.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 79,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 pm

mwalsh wrote:
BlueandFav wrote:The Juicebox says not to plug into a protected outlet so I was hoping it would work but expected problems. Electrician said I can switch out the breaker if I have problems. Tomorrow the inspector will check it out. I'll see what he says. I'm assuming the GFCI breaker is the problem.

Switch out the breaker temporarily for a non-GFI. If the problem goes away then it's the breaker. If the problem remains then it's either the Juice Box or your LEAF. I take it the LEAF is good with other L2 EVSEs (ie: public ones)?

A GFI breaker is code here too, at least for outdoor outlets, but I'm only going to be using it for my compressor and maybe every once in a while for one or other of the cars, using the EVSE Upgrade modified Nissan brick.

The JuiceBox says not to use a GFCI breaker since it is more sensitive than the EVSE. Under perfect conditions it will work fine. An EVSE is 20MA VS 5MA for the breaker.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:49 pm

BlueandFav wrote:Yesterday I had a 14-50 outlet installed for a Juicebox Pro. It's on a GFCI breaker because that is the code as of two weeks ago. The electrician said I would likely get some nuisance tripping and that GFCI breakers aren't necessary but inspectors don't care, thems the rules.

The Juicebox seems to be working correctly but my leaf doesn't like it. I can charge with the level one cable but when I plug in Juicebox cable I get the three lights flashing then they go dark. No breaker tripping though.

The Juicebox says not to plug into a protected outlet so I was hoping it would work but expected problems. Electrician said I can switch out the breaker if I have problems. Tomorrow the inspector will check it out. I'll see what he says. I'm assuming the GFCI breaker is the problem.

The only problem specific to GFCI would be potential nuisance tripping. If the breaker hasn't tripped then the problem is something else unrelated to GFCI.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

BlueandFav

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:42 pm

Nubo wrote:The only problem specific to GFCI would be potential nuisance tripping. If the breaker hasn't tripped then the problem is something else unrelated to GFCI.

Car charged fine at a public charger this morning. Read elsewhere that my 14-50 outlet may not be grounded properly. If the outlet is good I'll have to contact Juicebox customer service.
2016 S 24kWh

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Assuming you have a normal panel and not a sub panel both the ground and the neutral go to the same buss and you should have continuity between them, Turn off the breaker for safety reasons but the wires go directly.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

wmcbrine

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:29 pm

BlueandFav wrote:The Juicebox seems to be working correctly but my leaf doesn't like it. I can charge with the level one cable but when I plug in Juicebox cable I get the three lights flashing then they go dark. No breaker tripping though.

What does the JuiceBox app say?

BlueandFav

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:57 pm

wmcbrine wrote:
BlueandFav wrote:The Juicebox seems to be working correctly but my leaf doesn't like it. I can charge with the level one cable but when I plug in Juicebox cable I get the three lights flashing then they go dark. No breaker tripping though.

What does the JuiceBox app say?

I'll check the app if I have any future problems. Think the problem was the connection. One night I had to plug it in three times before it worked, temperamental J1772. So glad its not my breaker or outlet.
2016 S 24kWh

Oilpan4
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:07 pm

The breaker or receptacle is the easiest, cheapest thing to fix.

I don't use GFIC breakers on my charger circuits. Just what I need for the GFIC to trip after I plug the car in at night and walk away and come out to a car that hasn't charged at all when I have to go to work.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”