Ebusbar EVSE, level 2 16a(3.8kw) $299 @ Amazon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeff

http://www.amazon.com/Ebusbar-BEV-H02A10-Charger-Level-Volt/dp/B00TPSP760/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1461791244&sr=1-1&keywords=level+2+ev+charger
I've been using this EVSE for a couple months and IMO it's a great deal($299 when in stock at Amazon, which it's often out of stock). It's best for a '12/'11 or 13+S model without upgraded charger but works fine with my upgraded '13S albeit only at 16a(15a measured). IMO the cord is a bit short(17') but stays flexible even in the cold. What I really like about it is it's quite compact(about the same size as a stock Leaf EVSE) and works not only on 208/240v but also 120v(at the same 15a so you need to use it on a 20a circuit). It's never failed to charge and works fine with our Leaf timers. It has several LEDs indicating power and charge. The one downside is the very cheap dust cover strap that breaks after 10 uses. It still slides over the plug end and stays put but without the strap it's easy to misplace. It also comes with a nice nylon/plastic bag, somewhat similar to our stock Leaf bag. It has a rather odd NEMA 10-30 dryer plug but I cut mine off and simply installed a NEMA 6-30 twist lock(the same plug thats on a EVSEUpgrade'd EVSE). Oh I guess another downside is the output current cannot be limited, it's 15a 120v/240v and thats it, no way to limit it.
$299(shipped) is about the cheapest option to purchase a level 2 EVSE, for about the same price you could have your stock EVSE upgraded(as I did) by Phil at EVSEupgrade which offers more flexibility but if you wanted a second EVSE and were ok with 15-16a, I'd strongly suggest this one :)

wwhitney said:
Not UL listed.

Cheers, Wayne
That may very well be the case. I just checked the manual and product itself and I see no UL listing, although there were a ton of tags hanging off the power cord that I discarded when I replaced the plug. I see no mention of UL on the Amazon listing nor did I really see any questions regarding UL under the questions section of the Amazon listing. I did notice a rather funny thing under the Country of Origin, "United States Minor Outlying Islands" :? It's China, no doubt about that.
UL listing or not mine has been working flawlessly for the month and a half I've been using it, even in rainy conditions outside :)
So I guess that makes 3 of my 3 EVSE's not UL listed. This one, my Juicebox and my EVSEupgrade'd factory Leaf EVSE, guess I'm a rebel with regards to UL listings :lol:

Just rechecked on Amazon and this is the sellers response to someone who asked if it were UL certified:

Is the unit UL approved? where is it manufactured?
Answer:
It follows the Standards: - UL2251 - IEC 61581 - IEC62196-1,2
It's made in Shenzhen, China
By Evmiles on September 23, 2015

To me it sounds like they didn't really answer the question whether it was UL certified, they just said it follows UL standards.......personally I don't really care, others might and if thats the case, it seems kind of grey.....

Hello!

I just recently purchased this Ebusbar charger with the 3 prong NEMA 10-30 dryer plug. However, I'm currently on a rental property and cannot run any new 220V lines or do any electrical modifications. Because the Ebusbar is listed as being able to charge at Level 1 (110-120V), I was hoping to wire up a little adapter that would allow me to plug into a regular NEMA 5-15R, energizing the NEMA 10-30R to only 120V. However, I'm stumped on how to wire the NEMA 10-30R.

Normally, it's hot-hot-neutral for the dryer plug, so how would I wire it to achieve only 120V operation so that the Ebusbar can operate at Level 1 charging? hot-neutral-neutral? It's hard to know without cracking it open to look at the transformer, but maybe someone here has already wired it and knows how.

Thank you!

waleismer said:
Hello!

I just recently purchased this Ebusbar charger with the 3 prong NEMA 10-30 dryer plug. However, I'm currently on a rental property and cannot run any new 220V lines or do any electrical modifications. Because the Ebusbar is listed as being able to charge at Level 1 (110-120V), I was hoping to wire up a little adapter that would allow me to plug into a regular NEMA 5-15R, energizing the NEMA 10-30R to only 120V. However, I'm stumped on how to wire the NEMA 10-30R.

Normally, it's hot-hot-neutral for the dryer plug, so how would I wire it to achieve only 120V operation so that the Ebusbar can operate at Level 1 charging? hot-neutral-neutral? It's hard to know without cracking it open to look at the transformer, but maybe someone here has already wired it and knows how.

Thank you!
Yes I'm using mine on 120v and it works great. Note it still puts out a maximum of 16a @ 120v so if your vehicle is capable of that(a 3.6kw Leaf charger will only put out 12a @ 120v while the newer 6.6kw Leaf charger can go as high as 27.5a @ 240v) make sure your on a 16a circuit, a 15a circuit will blow. AFA wiring, because you can't really get a female plug with the 10-30 dryer plug(other than building one with a outlet box and outlet) I cut the 10-30 end off my Ebusbar and instead wired on a L6-30(L6-20 would be OK to but I've somewhat standardized on the L6-30). You can easily find L6-30(or L6-20) female plugs to make various converter plugs you might want. I guess if your current outlet is the 10-30 you might want to stick with that but it is kind of a outdated plug.
To wire for 120v you simply run one of the two slanted blades to the 120v hot, the other slanted plug to neutral and the middle blade to 120v ground. I believe if you cut off the plug like I did you'll see a green wire(for ground) and either two blacks or maybe a black and red(I don't remember) but it doesn't matter which wire goes to hot and which goes to neutral, just make sure the middle blade goes to ground.

Oh okay, perfect! That sounds completely reasonable, thanks. I'm actually a Volt owner (sinful to post on Leaf forum, I know), so it'll only pull 12A max anyway, but thank you for the warning.

I appreciate the guidance! I'm looking forward to having dedicated home and travel chargers :D

waleismer said:
Oh okay, perfect! That sounds completely reasonable, thanks. I'm actually a Volt owner (sinful to post on Leaf forum, I know), so it'll only pull 12A max anyway, but thank you for the warning.

I appreciate the guidance! I'm looking forward to having dedicated home and travel chargers :D
No problem, does the Volt max out at 12a on 240v also? If so do newer or higher trim Volts have higher L2 chargers?
Yes it gets kind of annoying always unplugging and winding up the cords, nice to have at least one L2 EVSE for home and one L2 EVSE in the car all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Ebusbar-EBB_220_16_NM10_30-Level-potable-charger/dp/B076C6B76K/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510874922&sr=1-10&keywords=level+2+ev+charger
Currently $199 :) $100 less than I purchased it for and $50?? less than it's been as of late.
Mine is still working fine, with almost daily use and I believe it's probably currently the lowest priced L2 from Amazon or most any other place, especially now that the Amazing E EVSE had increased by almost $100!
.....of course with Amazon the price could jump back up with a moments notice, if interested I'd order NOW!

jjeff said:
...To wire for 120v you simply run one of the two slanted blades to the 120v hot, the other slanted plug to neutral and the middle blade to 120v ground. I believe if you cut off the plug like I did you'll see a green wire(for ground) and either two blacks or maybe a black and red(I don't remember) but it doesn't matter which wire goes to hot and which goes to neutral, just make sure the middle blade goes to ground.

I can believe that the EVSE doesn't care, but I think that for many (most?) cars it will matter which one is neutral.

davewill said:
I can believe that the EVSE doesn't care, but I think that for many (most?) cars it will matter which one is neutral.
Why would it? US electric cars that can charge on either 120V or 240V AC have to be compatible with incoming power from two ungrounded conductors (a typical 240V US circuit). Given that, what circuit element in the car's charger would care, when one of the power conductors is grounded, which one is the grounded conductor?

Cheers, Wayne

A L1 EVSE has one lead connected to ground ( neutral). A device called Quick220 takes two AC outlets in opposing phases to generate 240VAC. It is limited in current due to the breakers. 16A is very doable with 20A breakers and nothing else on the circuits. Otherwise 12A fits into 15A circuit. 12A is the NEC recommended max for a 15A circuit.

The EVSE should be set to match the circuit. Otherwise an enhanced Leaf will blow the breakers at 27.5A.

There is a thread about converting your stock EVSE into a dual voltage unit. The EVSE runs on 120VAC but the car sees 240A at 12A. That makes it twice as fast as stock.

Back