Adding a sub panel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inphoenix

It seems I would need to add a 100A sub panel to add another 50A breaker for the second EVSE. I know very little about this so I thought I would seek opinions and advice on this topic.

Would this sub panel be a part of the main panel or a totally different connection to the utility company?

Would they be on the same bill?

What is the average cost of a 100A sub panel install (including permits and such)? (ballpark idea)

What do I need to keep in mind while planning this?

Add another juice box pro and pair them to charge both cars at the same time. If you have the time to charge both cars. At 40 amps you should be able to charge both by the AM. You should be able to get by with 300 miles in range a night? No need to change the wiring, just add a new Juice box.

speedski97 said:
Add another juice box pro and pair them to charge both cars at the same time. If you have the time to charge both cars. At 40 amps you should be able to charge both by the AM. You should be able to get by with 300 miles in range a night? No need to change the wiring, just add a new Juice box.

Some more clarification please.... so another 240V outlet would come on the same 50 A breaker? How do I "add" it? I believe "pairing" is done through the portal. I'd appreciate some help.

Subpanel is fed from the main panel. Same meter, same bill. You just move move some breakers over to the subpanel and feed it with 40 or 60 amp breaker. Then you have room in the main panel to add the EV circuit.

Has an electrician looked at it? There might be other options.

The juice box pro lets you pair 2 units together on one line. Set the max input amps and split the 40 amps between the 2 cars or more. When the first car is done charging all of the output goes to the next car. I was looking at this for work to add work place chargers on a 30 amp feed ,and split the 30 amp input for 4 cars to charge . look at built in wifi # 5

http://www.emotorwerks.com/index.php/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/202-juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable/category_pathway-23

speedski97 said:
The juice box pro lets you pair 2 units together on one line. Set the max input amps and split the 40 amps between the 2 cars or more. When the first car is done charging all of the output goes to the next car. I was looking at this for work to add work place chargers on a 30 amp feed ,and split the 30 amp input for 4 cars to charge . look at built in wifi # 5

http://www.emotorwerks.com/index.php/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/202-juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable/category_pathway-23
Can they just talk to each other or is a network connection required?

smkettner said:
speedski97 said:

Can they just talk to each other or is a network connection required?

There must be a thread on this....

call Juice box and ask? my understanding from talking with them today was the 2 or more units talk with each other no other hardware is needed. It is a nice unit.

As previously noted, a subpanel is supplied from the main panel so there is no change to the utility connection (assuming there is enough capacity in the main panel to support the additional load). The subpanel can be located wherever is convenient (typically in the garage or next to the main panel). I expect the cost with city of Phoenix building permit, materials, and labor to range between $1,000 and $2,000 unless there are issues that make the installation difficult. A 100-ampere subpanel in the garage could support two 40-ampere EVSEs if breaker space for existing EVSE is used to supply the subpanel. Your existing EVSE could remain on the main panel if other circuits can be moved to the subpanel to create space for the 100-ampere supply breaker.

Gerry

speedski97 said:
call Juice box and ask? my understanding from talking with them today was the 2 or more units talk with each other no other hardware is needed. It is a nice unit.

Thanks. I will do that. Dorian is on vacation and I do need to talk to their support for a different issue anyway but thanks for the pointer.

GerryAZ said:
As previously noted, a subpanel is supplied from the main panel so there is no change to the utility connection (assuming there is enough capacity in the main panel to support the additional load). The subpanel can be located wherever is convenient (typically in the garage or next to the main panel). I expect the cost with city of Phoenix building permit, materials, and labor to range between $1,000 and $2,000 unless there are issues that make the installation difficult. A 100-ampere subpanel in the garage could support two 40-ampere EVSEs if breaker space for existing EVSE is used to supply the subpanel. Your existing EVSE could remain on the main panel if other circuits can be moved to the subpanel to create space for the 100-ampere supply breaker.

Gerry

So, it seems unless I go with the other option of second Juicebox and sharing one breaker, I will need to get a new 100A service (not a sub panel) as the main panel's capacity will not allow another 50A breaker. This would be more expensive than option #1 but in the long range this may work better.

inphoenix said:
... So, it seems unless I go with the other option of second Juicebox and sharing one breaker, I will need to get a new 100A service (not a sub panel) as the main panel's capacity will not allow another 50A breaker. This would be more expensive than option #1 but in the long range this may work better.
Some places won't let you have a second service, or it might turn out cheaper to upgrade your existing service (and replace the main panel). Without knowing exactly what your current service is and what you have on it, no one can really answer your original question. Have you had an electrician out to give a quote?

Back