jjeff
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:42 am

Searching Amazon I came upon another Chinese made EVSE, this one is portable and is adjustable to 10a, 16a and maxes out at 32a.
While the company site does mention UL listing, I believe it's more talking about the J1772 connector and not the overall unit.
It looks like it uses a NEMA 10-50 outlet and Amazon description does say 220-240v although I do have a question into the seller to see if indeed it works on 120v or at least 208v.
Amazon's description:

Only 3 in 1 portable charger on the market, 10amp , 16amp, 32amp, you select amps
1 year warranty
18.5 feet in length
Easy to read LCD display
FAST CHARGING - 7.7kW of power to charge your vehicle quick

At $555.99 shipped I think I'd probably go with something like a Juicebox if I wanted higher charging capacity than my existing portable EVSEs but it does give one another option for those wanting full charging in a portable EVSE on newer Leafs.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-portable ... ev+charger
http://khons.en.alibaba.com/

Oh it looks like the company also sells several J1772 extension cords and such, not sure who sells them though.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:41 am

The description says 14-50 but the pictures show a different plug.

For $550 it still seems overpriced. I'm thinking OPENevse and Tesla UMC as alternates.

Surely we can get prices of EVSEs to drop another notch when the quantity of BEVs ramps up in the next year or so.
2012 Leaf tires 195/65/15 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, 15" Rims
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(leaf range chart)
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

jjeff
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:58 am

dhanson865 wrote:The description says 14-50 but the pictures show a different plug.

For $550 it still seems overpriced. I'm thinking OPENevse and Tesla UMC as alternates.

Surely we can get prices of EVSEs to drop another notch when the quantity of BEVs ramps up in the next year or so.

That was kind my thought, oh and the seller confirmed, 208-250v operation only. Bummer as personally I'd only be interested in such a device if it also gave me the option of 120v like Juicebox and openevse devices do.
Yes the plug in the picture is definitely a "old dryer" 10-50 which technically lacks a ground(has 2 hots and a neutral) as apposed to the 6-50 with 2 hots and a ground or the Tesla(or new range standard) 14-50 which has 2 hots, neutral and ground. Of course the picture on Amazon could be wrong.....I now see in the description where it says 14-50(range plug) which definitely is not what is shown in the picture......
About 2 pages down in this Wiki link on the right side is a nice picture showing the various NEMA plug configurations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5873
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:12 am

These are cheap EVSE units with Doestar handles. They have compliance issues, design flaws, and are made by companies with little understanding of standards, safety and reliability and sold under many names to people in the us to resell them and make a quick buck. They are packaged under different names in China even though they are made by only one company. Every company in China claims to make them but they just buy them form others and try to dump them here in the US. Most people that sell them here provide little support and are are at the mercy of the twice removed makers to do right on the many warranty claims. Pretty laughable.

iluvmacs
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:08 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 411121
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:34 pm

jjeff wrote:
dhanson865 wrote:The description says 14-50 but the pictures show a different plug.

For $550 it still seems overpriced. I'm thinking OPENevse and Tesla UMC as alternates.

Surely we can get prices of EVSEs to drop another notch when the quantity of BEVs ramps up in the next year or so.

That was kind my thought, oh and the seller confirmed, 208-250v operation only. Bummer as personally I'd only be interested in such a device if it also gave me the option of 120v like Juicebox and openevse devices do.
Yes the plug in the picture is definitely a "old dryer" 10-50 which technically lacks a ground(has 2 hots and a neutral) as apposed to the 6-50 with 2 hots and a ground or the Tesla(or new range standard) 14-50 which has 2 hots, neutral and ground. Of course the picture on Amazon could be wrong.....I now see in the description where it says 14-50(range plug) which definitely is not what is shown in the picture......
About 2 pages down in this Wiki link on the right side is a nice picture showing the various NEMA plug configurations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

The description now says "Comes with a NEMA 10-50 Plug ( stove plug )", which is accurate to the photo. However, given that there's no earth ground connection, this is both dangerous and in violation of electrical standards. Presumably they are just hijacking the neutral connection for earth ground instead, but that's not acceptable.
Delivered 6/22/13: 2013 SV+LED/QC+Prem, Blue Ocean
Loved 12/20/11-6/22/13: 2012 SL #15733 (orphan), Blue Ocean, lifetime 4.8 mi/kWh (11,356 mi). First Leaf in Wisconsin!
2013 Tesla Model S 85, blue

Wisconsin Leaf/EV owner? Join our group!

jjeff
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:06 pm

They should be using a 14-50 which is kind of the new EV standard, if not that then a 6-50 which has 2 hots and ground as apposed to the old 10-50 that just has 2 hots and a neutral and is somewhat obsolete.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

iluvmacs
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:08 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 411121
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 am

jjeff wrote:They should be using a 14-50 which is kind of the new EV standard, if not that then a 6-50 which has 2 hots and ground as apposed to the old 10-50 that just has 2 hots and a neutral and is somewhat obsolete.

I'm sure they just used whatever plug was cheapest. We should probably be happy they didn't use a standard NEMA 5-15 and tell you to use that for 32A@240V :-P.
Delivered 6/22/13: 2013 SV+LED/QC+Prem, Blue Ocean
Loved 12/20/11-6/22/13: 2012 SL #15733 (orphan), Blue Ocean, lifetime 4.8 mi/kWh (11,356 mi). First Leaf in Wisconsin!
2013 Tesla Model S 85, blue

Wisconsin Leaf/EV owner? Join our group!

iPlug
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2016
Location: Rocklin, CA

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:19 pm

We have a Leaf and Plug-in Prius and have two 32-Amp (7.7kW) NEMA 14-50 charging stations from ClipperCreek. They come with a 25' cable, J1172 holster, and a 3-year warranty. ClipperCreek has been around for a long time and doesn't use any low quality components. They're selling for $589 currently:

https://store.clippercreek.com/index.ph ... duct_id=67
2016 Leaf SV + 2012 Plug-in Prius, 11.43 kW Solar PV, Two Clipper Creek Level-2 7.7 kW charging stations, PG&E E-6 TOU/Tiered rate plan

jjeff
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:39 pm

^^^ that CC unit would be ~$625 shipped. I agree not much more than this Khons but my biggest beef and reason I'd probably not order a CC unit is their inability to work on 120v, they are strictly 208-240v. Personally for such a portable unit as the CCs I'd want to carry it around in my Leaf, if I did I'd not only have to carry the CC unit but also the factory 120v EVSE, cramping up a already cramped cargo area. Also the advantage of something like the Khons unit is it allows the user to select the output current, again a necessity for a portable EVSE.
I don't argue the CC EVSE seems to be a quality EVSE and built to last, just wish they had added a few very simple(and probably cheap) options and not made them basically a single use EVSE.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Maverick8717
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 321977

Re: Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Well I purchased this EVSE, mainly because it is the only portable one I could find that could do 110 or 220 and also 3 amperage settings up to 32A. I would like to clear up on this thread that it does come with a nema 14-50 connector and that it does work on 110 at all three amperage settings. so it is a 6 in one evse. I guess I am a bit worried about how long it will last, however as there is no other equivalent on the market it is all I had to go with. so far I am extreemely happy, I have had it since 3/25/17
15 SV purchased mar 17 11K miles.
khons 10,16,32a portable evse
56 mile daily commute.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”