Khons 32a portable L2 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeff

Searching Amazon I came upon another Chinese made EVSE, this one is portable and is adjustable to 10a, 16a and maxes out at 32a.
While the company site does mention UL listing, I believe it's more talking about the J1772 connector and not the overall unit.
It looks like it uses a NEMA 10-50 outlet and Amazon description does say 220-240v although I do have a question into the seller to see if indeed it works on 120v or at least 208v.
Amazon's description:

Only 3 in 1 portable charger on the market, 10amp , 16amp, 32amp, you select amps
1 year warranty
18.5 feet in length
Easy to read LCD display
FAST CHARGING - 7.7kW of power to charge your vehicle quick

At $555.99 shipped I think I'd probably go with something like a Juicebox if I wanted higher charging capacity than my existing portable EVSEs but it does give one another option for those wanting full charging in a portable EVSE on newer Leafs.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-portable-KHONS-electric-vehicles/dp/B01D18XZ4U/ref=sr_1_46?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1467460853&sr=1-46&keywords=level+2+ev+charger
http://khons.en.alibaba.com/

Oh it looks like the company also sells several J1772 extension cords and such, not sure who sells them though.

The description says 14-50 but the pictures show a different plug.

For $550 it still seems overpriced. I'm thinking OPENevse and Tesla UMC as alternates.

Surely we can get prices of EVSEs to drop another notch when the quantity of BEVs ramps up in the next year or so.

dhanson865 said:

For $550 it still seems overpriced. I'm thinking OPENevse and Tesla UMC as alternates.

Surely we can get prices of EVSEs to drop another notch when the quantity of BEVs ramps up in the next year or so.
That was kind my thought, oh and the seller confirmed, 208-250v operation only. Bummer as personally I'd only be interested in such a device if it also gave me the option of 120v like Juicebox and openevse devices do.
Yes the plug in the picture is definitely a "old dryer" 10-50 which technically lacks a ground(has 2 hots and a neutral) as apposed to the 6-50 with 2 hots and a ground or the Tesla(or new range standard) 14-50 which has 2 hots, neutral and ground. Of course the picture on Amazon could be wrong.....I now see in the description where it says 14-50(range plug) which definitely is not what is shown in the picture......
About 2 pages down in this Wiki link on the right side is a nice picture showing the various NEMA plug configurations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

These are cheap EVSE units with Doestar handles. They have compliance issues, design flaws, and are made by companies with little understanding of standards, safety and reliability and sold under many names to people in the us to resell them and make a quick buck. They are packaged under different names in China even though they are made by only one company. Every company in China claims to make them but they just buy them form others and try to dump them here in the US. Most people that sell them here provide little support and are are at the mercy of the twice removed makers to do right on the many warranty claims. Pretty laughable.

jjeff said:
dhanson865 said:

That was kind my thought, oh and the seller confirmed, 208-250v operation only. Bummer as personally I'd only be interested in such a device if it also gave me the option of 120v like Juicebox and openevse devices do.
Yes the plug in the picture is definitely a "old dryer" 10-50 which technically lacks a ground(has 2 hots and a neutral) as apposed to the 6-50 with 2 hots and a ground or the Tesla(or new range standard) 14-50 which has 2 hots, neutral and ground. Of course the picture on Amazon could be wrong.....I now see in the description where it says 14-50(range plug) which definitely is not what is shown in the picture......
About 2 pages down in this Wiki link on the right side is a nice picture showing the various NEMA plug configurations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector
The description now says "Comes with a NEMA 10-50 Plug ( stove plug )", which is accurate to the photo. However, given that there's no earth ground connection, this is both dangerous and in violation of electrical standards. Presumably they are just hijacking the neutral connection for earth ground instead, but that's not acceptable.

They should be using a 14-50 which is kind of the new EV standard, if not that then a 6-50 which has 2 hots and ground as apposed to the old 10-50 that just has 2 hots and a neutral and is somewhat obsolete.

jjeff said:
They should be using a 14-50 which is kind of the new EV standard, if not that then a 6-50 which has 2 hots and ground as apposed to the old 10-50 that just has 2 hots and a neutral and is somewhat obsolete.
I'm sure they just used whatever plug was cheapest. We should probably be happy they didn't use a standard NEMA 5-15 and tell you to use that for 32A@240V :p.

We have a Leaf and Plug-in Prius and have two 32-Amp (7.7kW) NEMA 14-50 charging stations from ClipperCreek. They come with a 25' cable, J1172 holster, and a 3-year warranty. ClipperCreek has been around for a long time and doesn't use any low quality components. They're selling for $589 currently:

https://store.clippercreek.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

^^^ that CC unit would be ~$625 shipped. I agree not much more than this Khons but my biggest beef and reason I'd probably not order a CC unit is their inability to work on 120v, they are strictly 208-240v. Personally for such a portable unit as the CCs I'd want to carry it around in my Leaf, if I did I'd not only have to carry the CC unit but also the factory 120v EVSE, cramping up a already cramped cargo area. Also the advantage of something like the Khons unit is it allows the user to select the output current, again a necessity for a portable EVSE.
I don't argue the CC EVSE seems to be a quality EVSE and built to last, just wish they had added a few very simple(and probably cheap) options and not made them basically a single use EVSE.

Well I purchased this EVSE, mainly because it is the only portable one I could find that could do 110 or 220 and also 3 amperage settings up to 32A. I would like to clear up on this thread that it does come with a nema 14-50 connector and that it does work on 110 at all three amperage settings. so it is a 6 in one evse. I guess I am a bit worried about how long it will last, however as there is no other equivalent on the market it is all I had to go with. so far I am extreemely happy, I have had it since 3/25/17

For future reference, for others looking for a portable EVSE, I purchased a Zencar 32A unit:

http://www.e-zencar.net/product/evse-32a/

Price was $285 USD, plus $60 USD for express shipping, plus $15 USD for PayPal fee. Total was $360 USD, shipped to my door.

Thus far, the unit seems to work very well. Hopefully it stays that way ;)

Maverick8717 said:
Well I purchased this EVSE, mainly because it is the only portable one I could find that could do 110 or 220 and also 3 amperage settings up to 32A. I would like to clear up on this thread that it does come with a nema 14-50 connector and that it does work on 110 at all three amperage settings. so it is a 6 in one evse. I guess I am a bit worried about how long it will last, however as there is no other equivalent on the market it is all I had to go with. so far I am extreemely happy, I have had it since 3/25/17
So where did you get it? I see it's no longer available at Amazon. I've been using my Zecar EVSE since the end of last year and it's still working great :) It's not the Khons brand but looks and has the features exactly like it and like Alozzy I ordered mine directly from China for about the same price as he. I agree being able to use this portable EVSE on both voltages as well as different amp settings makes it very flexible and the perfect car EVSE.

I got it from that amazon link before it sold out. the zencar looks very nice, I probably would have gone with that if I had seen it first. does the zencar come with a nema 14-50?

These are cheap EVSE units with Doestar handles. They have compliance issues, design flaws, and are made by companies with little understanding of standards, safety and reliability and sold under many names to people in the us to resell them and make a quick buck.

Hi, is there real basis for the claim about the "compliance issues and design flaws" for these cheap EVSEs? I know that these do not have UL certification, but at the same time I've seen people using them successfully. I just want to know if the claims are based on facts or if those are just general sentiments since there are no guarantees for these products. Thanks.

My duosida 16A works 100% of the time I've plugged it in 6 times :)
@irv - in regards to your question "compliance issues and design flaws" being real, I have read that the pin clamping force was too high and causing difficulty removing the plug. One case of the 14-50 plug being wired incorrectly. The thread is here
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22692
also about plug issue
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=166687#p166687

if you wanna do some homework ' duosida site:mynissanleaf.com '

I'm not certain about the 'made by companies with little understanding of standards, safety and reliability'. I know that there was a risk when I ordered it ( direct from China ) and also each time I use it. The US re-sellers may test/do additional quality control and provide support, but I think I can handle it.

Back