Made my L2 charger portable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk1971

My wife's work has charging stations, so it's a rarity that we need to charge at home. My driveway is also very long/narrow and about 50 feet away from the garage. We don't use the garage for actually parking cars as a consequence of this inconvenience.

I had an electrician pull a new circuit at the side of the house and put the 220v 50A socket inside a locked box. Then I used a cheap $12 moving dolly and a 2x4 to build a portable L2 charger stand on wheels. I used a 10 gauge wire, and a 50A plug / receptacle from Home Depot.

On the rare occasion that I have to charge the car, it's just a matter of rolling out the charger from the garage and plugging everything in.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Heh. I just moved a very heavy little bar-type pool table using four of those Harbor Freight moving dollys (dollies?) I also have my L-2 Clipper Creek HCS-25 ready to plug in at any RV park or old-style dryer outlet. Now all I need is the circuit in my own garage...

Back