Best EVSE Choice for Garage in Solar House?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tandemrider

I am a newbie and this section on EVSE and Charging equipment is daunting with 1,609 Topics and 37,597 Posts and my electrical knowledge is basic.
I just purchased a used 2011 Leaf (SL) with 9 bars and soon hope to reach 8 bars in time for warranty replacement battery. I also purchased a used EVSE, from the owner like this one. http://www.casteyanqui.com/ev/evse/evse_00_intro_lg.jpg
I will park the car in my garage in my home with PV solar panels.
I am looking for recommendations to optimize my EV charging (fastest and least expensive to install and operate). At some point in future (3-5 yrs), I will sell this car and get newer EV.
I have been given estimates of $400-650 to have this EVSE installed next to my panel, which is beside where I plan to park my car.
If I stick with this EVSE, what type of circuit do I ask the electrician to install (10, 15, 20, 30 amps)? I can't seem to find any info on this EVSE online.

Should I stick with this used EVSE or sell it and buy a better one? I don't anticipate a need for portable charger since accessible 220v plugs (i.e. RV parks) are not in locations that I am likely to frequent.
I read some info on the JuiceNet EVSE and am intrigued by the ability to charge my car when I have excess PV solar electricity production or wait for my lowest electric rates. (This car makes me eligible for TOU rates.) Is this the only EVSE that can determine when my excess PV generated electricity is available?

Any suggestions for my situation are welcome.
Aloha

Tandemrider said:
I am a newbie and this section on EVSE and Charging equipment is daunting with 1,609 Topics and 37,597 Posts and my electrical knowledge is basic.
I just purchased a used 2011 Leaf (SL) with 9 bars and soon hope to reach 8 bars in time for warranty replacement battery. I also purchased a used EVSE, from the owner like this one. http://www.casteyanqui.com/ev/evse/evse_00_intro_lg.jpg
I will park the car in my garage in my home with PV solar panels.
I am looking for recommendations to optimize my EV charging (fastest and least expensive to install and operate). At some point in future (3-5 yrs), I will sell this car and get newer EV.
I have been given estimates of $400-650 to have this EVSE installed next to my panel, which is beside where I plan to park my car.
If I stick with this EVSE, what type of circuit do I ask the electrician to install (10, 15, 20, 30 amps)? I can't seem to find any info on this EVSE online.

Should I stick with this used EVSE or sell it and buy a better one? I don't anticipate a need for portable charger since accessible 220v plugs (i.e. RV parks) are not in locations that I am likely to frequent.
I read some info on the JuiceNet EVSE and am intrigued by the ability to charge my car when I have excess PV solar electricity production or wait for my lowest electric rates. (This car makes me eligible for TOU rates.) Is this the only EVSE that can determine when my excess PV generated electricity is available?

Any suggestions for my situation are welcome.
Aloha

That's a great EVSE and need to get a different one. Does that model have a plug or is it designed to be hardwired? $400-$650 seems a bit high for a simple EVSE installation next your panel.

Your EV can charge at 16 amps and that EVSE can provide 30 amps so it has more than enough capability. Here is some more information about: http://store.evsolutions.com/nissan-ev-charging-stations-c21.aspx

You would need a 40 or 50 amp circuit installed. If it's a plugin version have a 50 amp circuit installed.

The LEAF has charging scheduling that you can setup so that it only charges at certain times of the day.

Good luck getting to 8 bars. I suspect you don't have much time before the 5 year warranty expires.

Back