Is there a home EVSE that charges our Leaf, but could also be used on a future Model 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipa

I searched, I swear :)

We currently have the Bosch home EVSE for our Leaf, but are buying a new house and are going to leave it behind. We're on the wait list for a new Model 3 and are wondering if there's a home EVSE out there that supports both cars?

Kipa

It's likely that Tesla 3 will come with a UMC so as long has you have a 50A breaker you would be fine (assuming that the UMC is still 40A). Alternatively you can buy any 40A EVSE and that should have you covered using the Tesla adaptor.

I usually keep my UMC in the Tesla and use JuiceBox 40 with an adaptor to get the same (high) rate charging. The Juicebox also charges my Leaf (well, not at the same time obviously and Leaf charges at a lower rate).

All Teslas, and presumably the future Model 3, come with a J1772 adapter, so that all Teslas are able to plug any standard US charging station. Here's a picture:
J1773_1024x1024.jpg

If you want faster charging you buy the HPWC for the Tesla and use the old EVSE for the Leaf.

If you don't care about the faster rate, just use the old EVSE for both. Personally I think 30A is fine for charging at home, If you need faster charging you go hit a supercharger for free or pay to use a CHademo (requires an adapter for the Tesla that isn't free).

Tesla will charge anywhere on almost anything (more so than any other car on the market)

As long as the car adheres to the J1772 standarrd and Tesla does then an EVSE that charges the Leaf will charge any Tesla. The EVSE signals how much current is available and the car charger will respect that.

Say for example you have a 30A EVSE to charge your Leaf at 27.5A then plugging it into a Tesla then it will only charge at 30A even though the charger in the car can charge at more current, If you plugged in the stock L1 12A 120V EVSE then the car would be happy with that.

The EVSE sends out a pilot tone that is a 1KC square wave and they modify the duty cycle to indicate the available current. Most current cars respect that. It would be a very bad thing if you are plugged into120VAC 15A circuit and the car decided to charge at its 27.5A max.

Back