User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 9981
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:27 pm

alozzy wrote:This one is a universal adapter from 14-50R to 14-xxP, cool!

https://goo.gl/SrffQP


That is dangerous and dumb. So, anybody can easily plug in a 50 amp load into potentially a 15, 20 or 30 amp circuit.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

rmay635703
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:40 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
alozzy wrote:This one is a universal adapter from 14-50R to 14-xxP, cool!

https://goo.gl/SrffQP


That is dangerous and dumb. So, anybody can easily plug in a 50 amp load into potentially a 15, 20 or 30 amp circuit.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.


Our motor home had one of those included, pretty easy concept, everything was fine unless you tried to run both air conditioners at the same time then the breaker tripped.

It's not like tripping the breaker because you forgot was some type of life and death experience .

Just reminded you to only run one appliance at a time.

alozzy
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Not for this application, you set the charge rate on the EVSE. I wasn't suggesting using it for anything other than charging the EV with the portable EVSE the OP is buying.

Anyways, don't shoot the messenger, the OP wants the 14-30 receptacle, whereas I would just do a 14-50R in the first place.
Canadian with a US 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Big grin, enjoying my first BEV :D

bigedgar
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:59 am

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Wow, thanks for all the great comments and suggestions, everyone. To answer a few questions:

wwhitney - yes, this is a dedicated circuit that will only serve the EVSE. The code is a little ambiguous wrt receptacles and CB amperage - it says something to the effect of "outlets shall have an ampere rating of not less than the load to be served" - this indicates that you *could* put an outlet with a higher ampacity than the breaker - but then it goes on to say "and shall comply with 210.21(A) and (B)" - which are tables that basically indicate that only a 30 amp receptacle is acceptable for a 30 amp circuit. So thanks for the clarification on this confusing code.

alozzy - the adapters are a cool idea, but they push this project over the budget line for me. I like the idea of just getting the 14-50 and swapping the plug for a 14-30. That would allow me to wire up the box to code with a 14-30 receptacle.

jjeff - Thanks for the explanation on the 10-30. That's what I figured, but the use of the neutral left me with some doubt. I actually have a Kia Soul, but mynissanleaf is a much better forum for these types of questions than the Soul EV forums because people like you are engaged :D The Soul is capable of 6.6kw charging, so yes, getting the configurable EVSE would be a great choice as I could charge much more quickly and have alot of flexibility, but it's just not in the budget for this project.

I think at this point I'm going to order the 14-50. I'll either wire up a 14-50 receptacle at the box, label it so nobody tries to plug in a 40 amp load, and call it good, or I'll get the 14-50 plug and just buy the 14-30 and swap it.

Thanks again for all the help!

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 9981
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 am

rmay635703 wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
alozzy wrote:This one is a universal adapter from 14-50R to 14-xxP, cool!

https://goo.gl/SrffQP


That is dangerous and dumb. So, anybody can easily plug in a 50 amp load into potentially a 15, 20 or 30 amp circuit.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.


Our motor home had one of those included, pretty easy concept, everything was fine unless you tried to run both air conditioners at the same time then the breaker tripped.

It's not like tripping the breaker because you forgot was some type of life and death experience .

Just reminded you to only run one appliance at a time.


Yes, no circuit breaker every failed and burned down anything. Sounds like a great plan.

wwhitney
Posts: 649
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 am

bigedgar wrote:but then it goes on to say "and shall comply with 210.21(A) and (B)" - which are tables that basically indicate that only a 30 amp receptacle is acceptable for a 30 amp circuit.

The table you are referring to is 210.21(B)(3), which only applies to "a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets".

For a dedicated circuit, 210.21(B)(1) applies: "A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit."

Cheers, Wayne

bigedgar
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:59 am

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am

Yes, Wayne, you are right. I misread that. Thank you very much for the clarification - that actually simplifies the code for me quite a bit.

nr427
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:23 am
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2015

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:34 am

You could get the evse with the 14-50 plug and cut off the unused neutral pin then it would plug into 14-30 wall outlet just fine. This would be cheaper than swapping plugs and you could still use it on the road with rv outlets.

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 9981
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:03 am

nr427 wrote:You could get the evse with the 14-50 plug and cut off the unused neutral pin then it would plug into 14-30 wall outlet just fine. This would be cheaper than swapping plugs and you could still use it on the road with rv outlets.


Yes, the unused neutral pin is "safe" provided you know what the amp rating of the charge cable (EVSE) is.

It would NOT be safe to cut the neutral off of a 40 amp EVSE, since that would obviously overload a 30 amp electric dryer outlet.

It's perfectly safe to make this modification on the NEMA 14-50 adaptor for a Go-Cable, since Go-Cable is only 16 amps, and the odds of finding a NEMA 14-15 outlet to plug into are about slim to none, plus it would likely not overheat the wires (or even trip the circuit breaker) at 1 amp over the rated current of 15 amps.

All the others would be fine:

NEMA 14-20 - stoves
NEMA 14-30 - 1996 and newer electric clothes dryers
NEMA 14-50 - RV parks
NEMA 14-60 - ovens

brooklynboy
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 am
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 319027
Location: New York

Re: Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:02 am

I ordered the 16A 240V duosida from amy at zencar. It works well and I would recommend it. 8 day lead time for custom 35ft cable and 5 days shipping time from China. I'm tempted to get the shake shake 32A adjustable version, but I have what I need for now.
16A duosida EVSE
36v Ryobi powered citybug
54v Ryobi powered ebike
' I've been out-dumbed !'

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”