DIY Tesla HPWC/Wall Connector Gen 2 to J1772 conversion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenBee

So I bought a Tesla HPWC with the intention of putting a J1772 cordset on it while I wait for my Model 3.

Some random thoughts on the HPWC:
-The gen 2 actually looks pretty complicated with multiple levels of circuit boards.
-The industrial design both internally and externally that went into this is pretty neat.
-From using it and from the manual I see no indication in the light patterns for differentiating between EV not connected and EV connected but not charging.
-Looks like they have planned a version with a plug as the manual indicates an error condition where the wall plug or input terminals are over temp.
-Neat that they have a reset button. Holding for 2-3 seconds resets the current error condition and 5 seconds to force it to reboot it self.
-I don't like how Tesla does revisions. For example how does one tell the difference between the gen 1 HPWC and the gen 2? Is it the name change? For example I see a gen 1 installation manual for a "High Power Wall Connector" but the gen 2 installation manual is for a "Wall Connector" and in the store they call it just a "Wall Connector"
-The optional top conduit option is pretty nice. You bring your wires into it and they easily terminate on screw terminals. Then it has large pigtails of finely stranded wire that you then connect inside the EVSE part that you can easily attach after the other part is mounted to the wall.
-I wish we had access to a more indepth service manual.

Some thoughts on changing the cordset to J1772:
-So my first warning is that the the Tesla cordset is very custom. It's not simply unscrew the terminals and replace it like other EVSEs.
-The line 1/2 and ground connections are actual screws so need crimped ring/spade connectors
-Line 1 and 2 have little wires pigtailed off into a connector (presumably for stuck relay detection) which you need to cut and resplice or go through the effort of getting the correct connector.
-It does have a place for a proximity wire though I haven't come across any indication of what it does with it.
-Their cordset has a thermistor in it which is required, I replaced it with a resistor to ground.
-Their cordset has a wire for 3.3 volts which you could use in your cordset if you had extra wires for a light, etc.
-The screws on the cable clamp are a bit funky, really long and fine threaded. I think I ended up cross threading one as I couldn't get it tightened all the way back.

Now the issue I'm having.
I have two 2011 LEAFs. One with a charge timer set and one without. I get the same behavior on both. They generally both just beep and do not start charging or click the EVSE on to measure the voltage. There has been a time or two in playing around and such that it did start but it's a pretty consistent in behavior. On either LEAF hitting the timer override button causes it to immediately start charging.

Huge rave to GlennD for building the EV Sim II I have and nsayer and whoever else helped with the project. Using this I believe I may have discovered the issue. When the EV is connected the EVSE sends a 5% duty cycle for 10 seconds indicating digital communication required, then a couple seconds of none, and then finally the duty cycle representing the amperage it is set for. At this point I'm not sure there is anything else I can do if that is in fact the issue.

It seems to me like a lot of hassle, unless you like doing it for fun. Do you plan to put the original cord back on when you get the Model 3?

An easier option would be to contact Tony Williams about getting one of the new Jdapters. https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com/

baustin said:
It seems to me like a lot of hassle, unless you like doing it for fun. Do you plan to put the original cord back on when you get the Model 3?

An easier option would be to contact Tony Williams about getting one of the new Jdapters. https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com/

I agree, I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it, I expected the wiring part to be simpler and since Tony is selling this (Though I believe he terminates a new J1772 handle on the existing cord) I figured it would work well. Yes, I am enjoying the project. The main reason for doing it is that with how affordable these are ($550) and with the federal tax credit I actually made money by selling my Clipper Creek HCS-40 and getting this.

That's exactly the plan, the original cord set is nearly all intact and will be simple to put back on.

I will be ordering his jdapter when it's released as it would have been nice to be able to test the HPWC before swapping the cord set.

J-Wall, based on the Tesla second generation HPWC "Wall Connector" is probably the most capable J1772 charge stations on the market:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Wall-Premium-80A-Wall-Mounted-J1772-Charging-Station-JWALL80A.htm

1) Up to 4 units on one circuit

2) A simple rotary knob is used to program the circuit amp rating for the master unit. All the remaining units are "slaves".

3) Capable of 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72 and 80 amps

4) Lowest cost 80 amp capable unit on the market (there aren't very many anyway!)

5) Easy to link together... just a simple 4 conductor communication cable. We recommend 2 twisted pairs in shielded cables.

6) Available with 23 or 8 feet cable lengths

7) Plug temperature monitoring (nobody else does this)

8) Looks good!

Thanks for the info. I was seriously considering putting in a HPWC and either using my current J1772 cable or buying one of those new adapters from Tony. The goal was similar to yours, to be ready for my Model 3 (or an S if I find out I just can't wait that long). However, I don't think I want to mess with jumping back in the car to hit the button every time.

I think I'll just keep my early model DIY OpenEVSE set up for now and maybe buy the HPWC and keep it in the box.

AlanSqB said:
Thanks for the info. I was seriously considering putting in a HPWC and either using my current J1772 cable or buying one of those new adapters from Tony. The goal was similar to yours, to be ready for my Model 3 (or an S if I find out I just can't wait that long). However, I don't think I want to mess with jumping back in the car to hit the button every time.

I think I'll just keep my early model DIY OpenEVSE set up for now and maybe buy the HPWC and keep it in the box.

FWIW this is not the behavior that Tony has seen with his HPWC with J1772, J-Wall product, so I'm not sure if this is just a specific issue with the 2011 LEAFs that has been addressed by Nissan in later models or if there is something all together happening.

I agree that having to use the timer override is not acceptable and I guarantee Tony would not be selling his J-Wall for any specific cars if that was a known issue.

Also, have you tried hitting the charge cover unlock on the keychain? I seem to remember that it was also possible to use that button to override a charge timer instead of using the button in the car, but I may just be imagining that.

QueenBee said:
FWIW this is not the behavior that Tony has seen with his HPWC with J1772, J-Wall product, so I'm not sure if this is just a specific issue with the 2011 LEAFs that has been addressed by Nissan in later models or if there is something all together happening.

I agree that having to use the timer override is not acceptable and I guarantee Tony would not be selling his J-Wall for any specific cars if that was a known issue.

Ok, I was going to ask if maybe Tony had found a way around it, but didn't want to dig for what might be proprietary info. I like the J-Wall, but I'd eventually end up converting it back anyway. Very impressive that he has access to 80 amp J1772 hardware. Not something you see anywhere else.

AlanSqB said:
Also, have you tried hitting the charge cover unlock on the keychain? I seem to remember that it was also possible to use that button to override a charge timer instead of using the button in the car, but I may just be imagining that.

My 2011 LEAF doesn't have that feature ;)

AlanSqB said:
Ok, I was going to ask if maybe Tony had found a way around it, but didn't want to dig for what might be proprietary info. I like the J-Wall, but I'd eventually end up converting it back anyway. Very impressive that he has access to 80 amp J1772 hardware. Not something you see anywhere else.

We don't have any issues with J-Wall. It charges every known car with J1772.

We actually build our 80 amp hardware; it's not falling off trees!!!

TonyWilliams said:
AlanSqB said:

We don't have any issues with J-Wall. It charges every known car with J1772.

We actually build our 80 amp hardware; it's not falling off trees!!!

I'd be happy to test a prototype or production :) jdapter with a combination of a brand new HPWC (non modified) and my 2011 LEAFs .

QueenBee said:
I agree, I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it, I expected the wiring part to be simpler and since Tony is selling this (Though I believe he terminates a new J1772 handle on the existing cord) I figured it would work well. Yes, I am enjoying the project. The main reason for doing it is that with how affordable these are ($550) and with the federal tax credit I actually made money by selling my Clipper Creek HCS-40 and getting this.

That's exactly the plan, the original cord set is nearly all intact and will be simple to put back on.

I will be ordering his jdapter when it's released as it would have been nice to be able to test the HPWC before swapping the cord set.

I'm glad I found this thread, thanks for posting it. I'm in similar position (getting a 2012 Leaf SL to last me till my M3) and was thinking about the same cable swap... I presume you still have the modified wall connector? If so, is there any chance you could post some pics of the innards? I'm curious about the resistor-to-ground (type, location, etc). I like tinkering, and am very comfortable with electricity, but just a little jittery about frying something in the EVSE (or worse, the car...) even though 30 amps is no super-charger... Any who, any extra info/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back