Evmiles EM-220-16-N14-30 EV Charger 16a L2 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeff

For those who might be interested, Amazon has just started selling yet another 16a L2 EVSE, this one made by EVmiles. It features a 14-30 plug and a 17' cable. The seller states it works not only on 240v(L2) but also 120v(L1) of course with a plug adapter and since this EVSE can draw up to 16a you'd need a 20a circuit. 12 month warranty and comes with a zippered carrying case and probably not UL listed like most of these Chinese EVSEs. I have a similar Ebusbar I've been using trouble-free for some time, this one looks quite similar. In fact in this listing the seller states if you want a EVSE with a 10-30 end to order the Ebusbar so I'd guess they were basically the same. My only real beef with my Ebusbar is the end cap which broke off after only a few uses, you can still use it but its no longer tethered to the plug and this EVmiles looks to have the same crappy cover design.
https://www.amazon.com/Evmiles-EM-220-16-N14-30-Charger-Level-14-30/dp/B01N0GUQOQ/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

I never ceased to be amazed that anyone would spend several hundred dollars on an EVSE that will not take advantage of the full charging speed of the Leaf. Since it will charge a full 6.6 KW why get anything that is less than 30A?

When we got our Leaf in Sep 2013 we qualified for the free EVSE from California. It was a nice incentive and it got installed in less than 2 weeks. For the first two weeks of ownership we used the 120v EVSE included with the car. Once we experienced the 240V/30A EVSE I can not be satisfied with anything else.

If we were in need of another EVSE I think we would install one that would take full advantage of the charge speed of the TESLA III (we are on the waiting list but still hope Nissan will finally have a 200 mile Leaf). JMHO.

Graffi said:
I never ceased to be amazed that anyone would spend several hundred dollars on an EVSE that will not take advantage of the full charging speed of the Leaf. Since it will charge a full 6.6 KW why get anything that is less than 30A?

I'm not recommending this one specifically but reasons why someone might buy a lower amp EVSE could include something on the order of:

* Some Leafs have 16 amp chargers on board (yours is 27.5 amps btw)

and even if they have the faster charger on board other reasons:

* breaker/wiring available won't support more than 20 amps at a location they plan to charge at
* They may want something portable and usable in a wide variety of situations using adapters and size/cost matters more than max amps because it won't be their primary EVSE for home use.

dhanson865 said:
Graffi said:

I'm not recommending this one specifically but reasons why someone might buy a lower amp EVSE could include something on the order of:

* Some Leafs have 16 amp chargers on board (yours is 27.5 amps btw)

and even if they have the faster charger on board other reasons:

* breaker/wiring available won't support more than 20 amps at a location they plan to charge at
* They may want something portable and usable in a wide variety of situations using adapters and size/cost matters more than max amps because it won't be their primary EVSE for home use.
+1
My '12 only has the 16a built in charger, so why go more with the EVSE. My '13 does have the 27.5a built in charger but some locations I charge at are limited to 16a(maximum for a 20a circuit) so something like this would work perfect. Lastly, cost. Something like this costs <$300 and is very portable, 30a EVSEs generally start ~$500 and go up, and many aren't portable.
Not saying this EVSE is the best for all options, just another option :)
Oh and while the Leaf can go up to 27.5a many new EVs or PHEVs only top out at 16a L2, why buy a 30a EVSE if you only need a 16a.....

I just repaired a 30A OpenEVSE but it was set to 18A. If you do not have a 40A circuit available it makes sense to match the current you have now and install a 40A circuit in the future.

Remember according to the J1772 protocol the car charger looks at the pilot and matches the available current up to its max. A 6.6K Leaf will charge fine on a 30A EVSE or the spec max 80A. It will only take what it needs and it will ignore the rest.

Back