Sub $800 EVSE - AV the only game in town right now?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonT

I've been keeping up on most of these threads but honestly I haven't paid a LOT of attention to the EVSE talk until now (I finally have a delivery month). Unless I'm missing something the only EVSE that is currently available for purchase (and delivery!) that is under $800 is the AeroVironment one. It sounds like Leviton will have a 16A unit "soon" but I haven't seen a date or a price for that unit.

I really don't want to give any more money to AV if I can avoid it. I'm annoyed at their whole process. However, I want to get my EVSE installed and figured out by March so I can be ready for my Leaf. So... do I have this right? Is AV the only one right now? Any guesses on the chances of something else being available by March?

Good chance that other "lower priced" EVSE options will appear before March.

If you NEED one NOW, that is different.

Leviton, SPX, etc. should be "soon", we hope.

I plan to get by on L1 for a while if I need to, since I might only drive the 76 freeway miles every other day, and have the Prius if needed.

I wonder what Ecotality will do with slightly used Clipper Creek once they replace it with Blink. ebay it ?

Volts don't have reservations. I put down a $1,000 deposit to place an order, only after the order has entered into production, will I be able to buy the EVSE.

So much for that idea.

smkettner said:
If I had a Volt I would explain how I need ten Voltecs at my various places I visit.... Then ebay them for $625 :D

Well, that's a nice idea. good luck getting SPX to sell you more than 1 EVSE

mitch672 said:
smkettner said:
If I had a Volt I would explain how I need ten Voltecs at my various places I visit.... Then ebay them for $625 :D

And since SPX is a large corporation that exists to make a profit, I'll bet they're keeping a close eye on those precious voltec units - it's much better to keep them in the warehouse, right?

AndyH said:
mitch672 said:
smkettner said:

And since SPX is a large corporation that exists to make a profit, I'll bet they're keeping a close eye on those precious voltec units - it's much better to keep them in the warehouse, right?

You would think they'd sell to anyone Andy, but it seems to not be the case. They actually check with GM to make sure you have a confirmed Volt order in production, before they will sell you one, and they want to install it as well of course like AV. check out the gm-volt.com forum, they are guarding their EVSE's like they where gold plated.

I can understand that during the rollout GM wants to make sure actual Volt buyers have first access to the Voltec.
I believe this will all change in a six to twelve months.

A woman from Schneider called me today. They received my name from a list at an EV event either in SJ or Richmond, CA late last year.

I didn't have time to get into things with her, but her number is: 1(401)789-5735.

Maybe Schneider EVSEs will be coming to the market soon. I remember from the EV show that their pricing for the unit would be competitive with AV and Levition.

mitch672 said:
AndyH said:
You would think they'd sell to anyone Andy, but it seems to not be the case. They actually check with GM to make sure you have a confirmed Volt order in production, before they will sell you one, and they want to install it as well of course like AV. check out the gm-volt.com forum, they are guarding their EVSE's like they where gold plated.
Thanks Mitch. I've a small bit of business/marketing experience but am no master at it. It just seems strange to me that a company would turn customers away - it seems so...backwards.

garygid said:
Backwards ... like making a deal with GM to get a $400 kickback from GM on each EVSE sold to a Volt owner in exchange for making it a Volt-Only product?
You know the penalties for lible, right? Or do you have proof?

Back