LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Charger Faults on 2 Different L2 Chargers

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54 pm

I don't think it's the 12 volt battery either, but that may be low on charge as a separate issue. I suggest you charge it fully using either a car battery charger or a maintainer.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:29 am

JRudy wrote:The garage power is about 100 feet from the breaker in the house which is a 30 amp circuit. Its a 3 wire burried cable with 2 hots and one bare copper neutral. The Dostar charger faults with the codes indicating "Abnormal Current (SCP)" whatever that means. I know by looking at the leaf spy charge screen that the power into the charger is fluctuating...some wierd readings like when I open the car door it takes a .3 kw dip.

It does sound like the power in my garage is not stable so will check that out.
Does that 30 amp circuit feed a sub panel in the garage or just your 240 volt EVSE receptacle?

I think it would be worth checking the voltage in the garage during charging to see if it's anywhere near "too low" which these EVSEs may not be able to handle properly. Then maybe check it every hour or so to see if there is any changes.

If you aren't getting DTCs it seems unlikely that the 12 volt battery or car are to blame and more likely that it's these EVSEs. Now to determine if it's the EVSE or the wiring that is the root problem.

Congrats on the new LEAF BTW! I presume your LEAF has the 3 kW on board charger and not the 6?

JRudy
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2016

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:21 am

Queen Bee thanks for the thoughts. I really love the leaf and think I can get this charge problem sorted out.

The charger plug is on the garage wiring taken off at the entry point, of the 240, to the garage. In a sub breaker panel the 240 is split for the lights and 120v plugs. There is nothing running in the garage tho so during night time charge the Leaf is the only thing connected.

I just got a full charge last night, no faults but I ran leaf spy during the whole cycle. The blue charge KW graph fluctuates regularly. I could post a screen shot if I can figure out how to insert an image into this forum. Any way to do that?
2015 Leaf S - Dostar 3kw charger

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm

If you have a volt meter (even a $5 Harbor Freight cheapie) Measure the voltage at the main panel while charging. You could have a bad breaker or the buss bar could be bad for one side. Measure from the neutral and you should have 120V at each breaker terminal. They should be about the same voltage.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

JRudy

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:05 pm

GlennD thanks for the response. I have a fairly good meter and it registers 115.7 volts from each side to neutral. It is shifting around while charging by about .5 volts each side and there is a .3-.5 volt differential between each hot side to neutral. Would that cause a fault in the charger cable/vehicle charge controller?

QueenBee

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:46 pm

JRudy wrote:Queen Bee thanks for the thoughts. I really love the leaf and think I can get this charge problem sorted out.

The charger plug is on the garage wiring taken off at the entry point, of the 240, to the garage. In a sub breaker panel the 240 is split for the lights and 120v plugs. There is nothing running in the garage tho so during night time charge the Leaf is the only thing connected.

I just got a full charge last night, no faults but I ran leaf spy during the whole cycle. The blue charge KW graph fluctuates regularly. I could post a screen shot if I can figure out how to insert an image into this forum. Any way to do that?
You'll have to upload it somewhere else and provide a link here. I really wouldn't expect that to be happening.

So one thing to note while I'm sure many sub panels are wired this way it's incorrect to wire the sub panel with only three wires. You should have four wires two hots, a neutral, and a ground. Then in the sub panel the neutrals and grounds are not bonded together. I'm not proposing you fix this but the issue is that if the ground wire were to get disconnected then any metal bonded to the ground could become energized and pose a shock hazard.
JRudy wrote:GlennD thanks for the response. I have a fairly good meter and it registers 115.7 volts from each side to neutral. It is shifting around while charging by about .5 volts each side and there is a .3-.5 volt differential between each hot side to neutral. Would that cause a fault in the charger cable/vehicle charge controller?
115 volts at the garage sub panel? If that's the case that's pretty decent and thus isn't likely the problem.

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:19 pm

QueenBee wrote:
JRudy wrote:The garage power is about 100 feet from the breaker in the house which is a 30 amp circuit. Its a 3 wire burried cable with 2 hots and one bare copper neutral. The Dostar charger faults with the codes indicating "Abnormal Current (SCP)" whatever that means. I know by looking at the leaf spy charge screen that the power into the charger is fluctuating...some wierd readings like when I open the car door it takes a .3 kw dip.

It does sound like the power in my garage is not stable so will check that out.
Does that 30 amp circuit feed a sub panel in the garage or just your 240 volt EVSE receptacle?

I think it would be worth checking the voltage in the garage during charging to see if it's anywhere near "too low" which these EVSEs may not be able to handle properly. Then maybe check it every hour or so to see if there is any changes.

If you aren't getting DTCs it seems unlikely that the 12 volt battery or car are to blame and more likely that it's these EVSEs. Now to determine if it's the EVSE or the wiring that is the root problem.

Congrats on the new LEAF BTW! I presume your LEAF has the 3 kW on board charger and not the 6?
"3 wire buried cable with 2 hots and one bare copper neutral"?
Sounds like an SE cable with concentric neutral or just a 2 wire cable and using the bonding conductor as a neutral.
The cable feeding the garage should have 3 insulated conductors and a bare "ground" wire.
Check the voltage not only between hots, and hots to neutral, but also neutral to ground and hots to ground. (under load)
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

JRudy

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:48 pm

The garage is a fuse disconnect subpanel. It has 30 amp fuses in it. I have the charge plug taken off the non fused side, counting on the breaker in the house to trip if there is a problem.

This link will give the screenshot of the LeafSpy Pro charge grid:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8A7X ... UpfTkwxdnc

This charge cycle did not fault but went from 60ish percent all the way to full charge (100% on the dash) 97% SOC.

QueenBee

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:15 pm

JRudy wrote:The garage is a fuse disconnect subpanel. It has 30 amp fuses in it. I have the charge plug taken off the non fused side, counting on the breaker in the house to trip if there is a problem.

This link will give the screenshot of the LeafSpy Pro charge grid:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8A7X ... UpfTkwxdnc

This charge cycle did not fault but went from 60ish percent all the way to full charge (100% on the dash) 97% SOC.
So that charge graph looks good, the breaks in charging at the end are when the pack is balancing itself. As you can see at 2.5 hours the SOC doesn't increase much.

Unrelated but are all the garage lighting and receptacle circuits using #10 wire? Just for good measure you probably want to replace the 30 amp fuses with 15 amps fuses.

So I'd measure the voltage at the garage sub panel with charging and without.

JRudy

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:26 pm

So what do you make of the blue line on the charging graph that is the Charge KW and rapidly shifts from about 3.5 to 3.7 kw? If you zoom in (can't see that on this picture) you see a sometime regular change and sometimes irregular spacing to that shift? Is that leveling going on as well?

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”