Page 1 of 2

Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 pm
by webeleafowners
Hi folks. We have our 40 amp Juice Box EVSE mounted in our garage which is nice but there will be times this summer where we may need to charge both vehicles overnight. I have a stucco exteriour and don't really want to drill into it. Has anyone done a "post" type thing. This will be for the 12 amp unit that came with the smart. It is weatherproof.

Pictures would be great of your setup.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:29 pm
by wmcbrine
I haven't done it, but I've though about it a lot. I like the idea of disguising it as an old-fashioned horse hitching post. (These are a common sight in front of old houses in some neighborhoods.)

Image

Imagine these are all EVSEs. :)

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:31 pm
by webeleafowners
wmcbrine wrote:I haven't done it, but I've though about it a lot. I like the idea of disguising it as an old-fashioned horse hitching post. (These are a common sight in front of old houses in some neighborhoods.)

Image

Imagine these are all EVSEs. :)



Dammm. How cool would that be. :D

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 pm
by Lerronious
If you're looking for a utilitarian setup, I drove a galvanized corner post used for chain link fencing and mounted the EVSE using Unistrut and conduit clamps. I buried the 50' run in 3/4" non-metallic conduit.

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 pm
by LeftieBiker
Recycled plastic 'lumber' wouldn't rot, and shouldn't be a conductor.

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:08 am
by BillHolz
Here is an installation that is near where I work. It is basically mounted on a pressure treated 4x4 post.

Image

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:14 am
by Mr20024
BillHolz wrote:Here is an installation that is near where I work. It is basically mounted on a pressure treated 4x4 post.

Image



This is what I am going to do! Thanks.

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:24 am
by Superchewie
I just completed the install for a new CP Home outside my house. The EVSE is mounted on an 8x8, using a 'hidden post mount' bracket that's bolted into concrete.

Not sure if this link will work; unsure how to post images directly on this forum:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/df2XidZKVEympaiR2

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am
by SageBrush
Superchewie wrote:I just completed the install for a new CP Home outside my house. The EVSE is mounted on an 8x8, using a 'hidden post mount' bracket that's bolted into concrete.

Not sure if this link will work; unsure how to post images directly on this forum:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/df2XidZKVEympaiR2

Beautiful Work

Re: Looking for ideas on stand alone outside post for EVSE.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 am
by SageBrush
I decided to leave the EVSE inside the garage and just sneak the cable underneath the garage door. I fitted a piece of beveled wood to protect the cable and not interfere with garage use:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... VnMGNjNERB