Durandal
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018

Re: Any body ever approached a business about installing a charge station.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 pm

No fruits have been borne from it, but I've requested stations via ChargePoint before, giving them the contact details for various places that I frequent, or would like to frequent. (Our airport would be a great location for one, as an example.) I also have directed a few businesses like one of the local Kroger stores to install a L2 charger. In some cases, whether or not there is a charger available makes/breaks whether or not I can go there. Whole Foods, of course, has a charger, but the local Natural Grocers does not.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in late 2018.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:11 am

^^^
Problem is, the business is going to ask "what's the value proposition? what's in it for me? what's the cost/benefit of this?" Will it attract more paying customers or increase revenue? If yes, by how much vs. total cost of installing this device and the ongoing subscription fees (if Chargepoint) + electric bills + other ongoing costs.

If a business already is receiving enough/plenty business w/o this, they may not need any more.

I've had conversations w/someone who works for Chargepoint and (IIRC) he mentioned a problem is that for a business, each parking spot has a monetary value to them. If you tie up spaces by designating them only as EV spaces, when it's empty, that's one less (valuable) space that an ICEV (vast majority of vehicles) can't take use. To me, it sounds like it can be a losing proposition to install charging stations.

For instance, I can't see a local busy shopping mall sorta near me wanting to bother unless someone (e.g. govt) mandates they install them. They already are a zoo on weekends and reasonably busy on weekdays. Installing a couple EV charging stations I bet wouldn't be justified at all in cost. There are 8 free public L2 stations (I use these sometimes) only 1.1 miles away.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:44 am

2k1Toaster wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:Yeah, hundreds of times. And the battle is ongoing. Nearly every business today craves feedback. Look at your receipt (both sides!) there is an option to post your thoughts on your experience. I do this EVERYTIME for every business I visit and since I practically live on the road, I have a lot of ops to provide feedback.

So tell them, you would visit more often if they had a charging station.

tell them, you love their products but would dump them in a second if their competition got a charging station.

best part of online surveys? They take about 2 mins. Simply create scripted responses and copy and paste away!

I did that with a gym. They sent out an online survey and I filled it in saying I wished they put in EVSEs since it would be a great place to charge. I was very surprised when I got an email back from the President of the company, a large US-national company, and we set up a time to chat on the phone. He was inquisitive and asked lots of curiosity questions as well as financials. Nothing ever came of it, but at least someone somewhere reads these things and it may percolate up to the top.

Personally I don't think it ever makes any financial sense to install a charging station as a source of income. But installing it to be a source of foot traffic is a wonderful thing. I go to a cinema twice as far away because they have charging stations which means I frequent those restaurants and stores as well. But I won't pay for a charge. I can do that at home. Charging is a convenience for me, not a necessity. I will gladly pay the business owner many times over their few pennies of electricity. $12 for a bucket of popped corn? I think they can spare the cost of a charge...

That is how you get the idea rolling. Now what needs to happen is they need to hear it several more times from your neighbors, etc.

I also had an email conversation with a rep from Target. Now, where will it go? who knows but its now on their sightline. The objective now is to get it to cover more of their vision.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 13001 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 102ish% kwh 28.1 QCs 112
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:53 pm

I tried once at a hospital I worked. The response was that a bunch of doctors with Teslas already tried to get that - not that they needed the charging but so they could get the premium, dedicated parking spots the stations would be at. Given the number of doctors with Teslas and the fact they would camp in the spot all day and fight each other for the spots, they concluded it best not to go there. Apparently, I was the only EV owner there with something short of a Tesla so there weren't enough people who would really benefit to justify the above headaches with the doctors. :roll:

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:24 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:I also had an email conversation with a rep from Target. Now, where will it go? who knows but its now on their sightline. The objective now is to get it to cover more of their vision.

FWIW, the Target at http://www.greencarreports.com/news/108 ... tore-in-ca has a really good setup in terms of EVSE placement. I've used theirs a few times. First two hours of charging are free, as well.

I don't venture up there much but when I do, I sometimes take advantage. 8-)

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

wmcbrine

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:47 am

DarthPuppy wrote:I tried once at a hospital I worked. The response was that a bunch of doctors with Teslas already tried to get that - not that they needed the charging but so they could get the premium, dedicated parking spots the stations would be at.

Well, there's no reason at all that an EV spot should be a premium spot. These aren't handicapped spots, where you want to make things easy on the driver. An out-of-the-way spot is fine -- even preferable, since it lessens ICEing.

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:52 am

wmcbrine wrote:
DarthPuppy wrote:I tried once at a hospital I worked. The response was that a bunch of doctors with Teslas already tried to get that - not that they needed the charging but so they could get the premium, dedicated parking spots the stations would be at.

Well, there's no reason at all that an EV spot should be a premium spot. These aren't handicapped spots, where you want to make things easy on the driver. An out-of-the-way spot is fine -- even preferable, since it lessens ICEing.

Nearly all hospitals already have premium parking for doctors.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 13001 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 102ish% kwh 28.1 QCs 112
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:01 pm

You have to see the usage. In my area there are EVSE's at Walgreens and Carls Jr. Only once have I seen a Carl's EVSE in use and I have never seen a car hooked up at Walgreens. I know that I charge at home for less. Why would i pay a premium to charge?

This is for the traveler that has no access to L3 charging. That is not me. My car has CCS but I likely will never use it.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:43 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Nearly all hospitals already have premium parking for doctors.

True. Given that the guy giving the response outranked me by a couple levels, I really didn't want to dispute the points with him. I figured it was a flippant response at the time. But office politics being what they are, I figured best not to pursue further.

aarond12
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:07 am

I approached the building owners with the suggestion of EV charging spots, or even allowing us to use the 120V outlets in the garage.

The response: "God put enough oil on this Earth to last until the Rapture." :evil:
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • Tesla Model 3 reserved
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”