can a teathered EVSE be modified between types 1 & 2 by just changing the plug?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterleaf

the EVSE installers seem to be pushing the universal socket EVSE box but you have to use your mode 3 cable (which is a bit of a hasstle).
they sell them as future proof incase you change to a car with a different socket.
I would rather just plug one thing in each day and not have to coil up a mode 3 cable to take with me or buy an additional cable.

to get round the future proof argument surly you can just change the plug ? or is it more complicated than that?

The stock EVSE is 120V only. There is a clever mod to use a 4 wire circuit and it runs the EVSE at 120V and the car at 240V. Unless you are Ingineer you are restricted to 12A but 240V is more than twice as fast as 120V. The overhead remains the same at either voltage.

GlennD, even without noting his location of "Derby England", monsterleaf's terminology makes it clear that he's writing from a European perspective, where things are different. There's no 120 V, and the cables between the EVSE and the car customarily unplug at both ends, unlike ours. "Types 1 and 2" are not synonymous with our Levels 1 and 2, although what they are... well, then I start to have to look things up, and at that point I think this question would be better addressed by someone from across the Atlantic. :)

monsterleaf said:

the EVSE installers seem to be pushing the universal socket EVSE box but you have to use your mode 3 cable (which is a bit of a hasstle).
they sell them as future proof incase you change to a car with a different socket.
I would rather just plug one thing in each day and not have to coil up a mode 3 cable to take with me or buy an additional cable.

to get round the future proof argument surly you can just change the plug ? or is it more complicated than that?

I believe you are talking about a home charging station like POD Point? The best choice if you are going to install one, is IMHO the version with Type 2-socket. But it is possible to replace the teathered cable if you want to. I don't know the rules in UK, but here in Norway you will have to get an electrician to do that for you as it is a fixed installation. That probably cost as much as getting an additional Type 2-cable...

Another bonus with the Type 2-socket version is that if you have a Type 1-car and you get a visit by someone with a Type 2-car, you can offer them a charge if they want to.

This forum is from the USA perspective. All are welcome but without a notice in the message it is assumed that the poster is in the USA.

That said other countries use 230VAC and the cable sets the current. All installations are good for 16A. Some are good for 30A. The enhanced Leaf requires 27.5A.

Back