Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: WAY over complicated!!

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Leviton is my pick for build quality and customer service.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:22 pm

How is this working out for you, OP ?

Simple one sentence recommendations -- all dozen or so.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

kindred
Delivery Date: 12 Apr 2017

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:39 pm

After much research, I went with the Siemens EVSE. Recieved good ratings, looked nice an had a holder for the charging gun. I installed and satisfied with the results. For me paying a 'little' more isn't a concern since I should have it for years.

maini
Delivery Date: 25 May 2014
Leaf Number: 339745

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 pm

For under $25 I converted my Nissan EVSE from 120V 12A to 240V 12A and have been using it for over 3 years without any problems. I know EVSEUpgrade can achieve 240V 16A on the original Nissan EVSE for $300 but this is much cheaper and works well for 1/10th the price.!!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948
2014 SV Cayenne Red with LED and QC port

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:57 am

kindred wrote:After much research, I went with the Siemens EVSE. Recieved good ratings, looked nice an had a holder for the charging gun. I installed and satisfied with the results. For me paying a 'little' more isn't a concern since I should have it for years.

Yes it is overly complicated. RV's just plug in but the J1772 protocol is about safety.

Many on this forum recommend Clipper Creek. They make good UL approved units.

I use a home constructed OpenEVSE unit. Many here like the Juicebox. Both adhere to the J177 specs but they are not UL approved.

Even cheaper are the Chinese units that work fine but lack GFCI protection. As such they are not fully J172 compliant but work.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250E

MikeD
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 592

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Kindred: I wanted to make 2 comments about the Siemens VersiCharge you praised (whose specifications I personally like as well, but I have not yet had a need to buy):

1) From VersiCharge installation and operations manual:

"Nuisance fault: As a leader in electrical technology, Siemens has made the
decision to install 5 mA grounding protection in all VersiCharge devices.
This is the same level of protection that is required in kitchens and
bathrooms of residential dwellings. Some other manufacturers (EVSE and
Auto manufacturers) have selected 20 mA protection levels. Because
Siemens units measure to a more sensitive level, occasional charging
interruption may occur under certain circumstances. See section 4.3 for
reset instructions."

My comment:
a) This is why I much prefer a direct wired EVSE if at all feasible, since an non-GFCI outlet wired EVSE gives you NO GFCI protection at the outlet -- only at the J1772 plug. Note this point is frequently misunderstood!
Although I don't know about all available EVSEs, I haven't noticed any EVSE makers recommending the use of a GFCI breaker -- besides the additional cost of such a breaker it appears "nuisance faults" are too common for EVSEs (note the first VersiCharge manuals recommended using a GFCI breaker, but no longer do), so there appears to be no good way currently to protect an EVSE outlet by such a breaker.
b) It may be that the risk of a shock from an EVSE cable/J1772 plug (via wiring damage and/or water conduction, etc) is small, but I feel better knowing that the shocking current is limited to only 5 ma rather than to 20 ma (Big difference!). I haven't seen posts saying the VersiCharge EVSE has an excessive nuisance fault problem.

2) From Amazon website:

Question: "Do I need to use the amperage adjustment switch on the VersiCharge?"

Answer: "The VersiCharge is shipped from the factory with the amperage adjustment switch in the Max (100%) position. The position is marked by a small black arrow and not the screwdriver slot. The amperage adjustment switch is only used to limit power draw from the vehicle but does NOT allow the charging station to be wired on a smaller circuit than recommended in the installation manual."

My comment: In other words, if your EVSE circuit wiring is thinner than the REQUIRED 8 AWG copper, say 10 AWG copper, you should NOT try to get around this requirement by reducing this "amperage adjustment switch" to the appropriate setting less than 100% (30a), because it is a) too easy for someone in the future to change this switch back to 100% yet not upgrade the wiring (i.e. not realize the wiring is too thin to safely handle the load) and perhaps b) the UL inspectors deemed this switch not completely foolproof in limiting the amperage to less than 100% due to future possible malfunction.

I believe the intended function for this switch is to help prevent the overload of the master breaker. It is an open question if your house has two or more EVs and two or more EVSEs how to best not overload the master breaker when all your EVs are charging at the same time. Making use of EVSEs with an "amperage adjustment switch" set to less than 100% is one approach (while keeping all involved wiring at 8 AWG or better).

Foschas
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 am

My Keurig coffee maker nuisance fault's my clipper creek sometimes. The clipper creek resets after a few minutes and resumes charging.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”