WAY over complicated!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnKuthe

I'm sorry but I scanned this forum looking for a good recommendation for getting myself a 240VAC charging cable for my 2013 Leaf and as so many other things in the Internet tend to be all I saw was lots of way-over complicated discussions to the answer for a very simple question!!

Bunches of them out there, so what do folks here recommend? I;m gonna get 240VAC run to my garage, now I need a 240VAC charging cable to run to my 2013 Leaf!

John Kuthe...

Or if you like bells and whistles (I do and I'm not gonna apologize :p) there is the Chargepoint Home charger. I got the plug-in version with 25' cord. Love it to bits. It is internet-connected, so you can start or stop a charge session remotely with the app and have it remind you to plug in at a certain time. It also tracks your usage and calculates your costs based on your local utility's rates.

Whatever EVSE you get, be sure to take advantage of:

P.S. John, if you edit your profile to include your location, people who are familiar with your area may chip in with more specific info.

Can't beat this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Level-2-Car-Charging-Station-32-Amp-240VAC-J1772-25-foot-Cable-EVSE-/112146657140?hash=item1a1c762f74:g:6HMAAOSw-RRXDTut&vxp=mtr

$329 for full 7kw Level 2 and 25ft cable.

We need fewer duplicate topics, not more. That includes topics like this one, started for no apparent reason after a valid one on the same subject, topics that consist of "Hi! Here's my new Leaf!" when we have a topic or three specifically for that, and topics started to ask one very specific question that directly relates to another topic, like "Are clipper creek chargers any good?" (sic). Part of the problem is that the absentee landlords who run the place refuse to put the most useful topics on "sticky" status so they always show up at the top of the list. The rest is that people are too self-absorbed, I guess...

LeftieBiker said:
We need fewer duplicate topics, not more. That includes topics like this one, started for no apparent reason after a valid one on the same subject, topics that consist of "Hi! Here's my new Leaf!" when we have a topic or three specifically for that, and topics started to ask one very specific question that directly relates to another topic, like "Are clipper creek chargers any good?" (sic). Part of the problem is that the absentee landlords who run the place refuse to put the most useful topics on "sticky" status so they always show up at the top of the list. The rest is that people are too self-absorbed, I guess...
+1

My vote is for the Juice box 40 wifi unit. Why??? Because I have one and it works reliably for both our vehicles and I can actually see via the APP or PC what is going on. I am sure there are other good units but this one is the only one I know soooo.

I rather like the AV EVSE-RS myself. Why? Because it's been good for over 6 years of use so far (3.5 years of which it's been used on two cars almost every night), and it shows no signs of giving up the ghost anytime soon. Oh, and it has a 3-year warranty too.

JohnKuthe said:
I'm sorry but I scanned this forum looking for a good recommendation for getting myself a 240VAC charging cable for my 2013 Leaf and as so many other things in the Internet tend to be all I saw was lots of way-over complicated discussions to the answer for a very simple question!!

Bunches of them out there, so what do folks here recommend? I;m gonna get 240VAC run to my garage, now I need a 240VAC charging cable to run to my 2013 Leaf!

John Kuthe...

Well, you could start with this thread, which is a sticky at the top of the list of topics, in the EVSE section. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12489

Unless you have any specific features in mind that it may be missing, I would recommend the $399 GE DuraStation, available at Home Depot (and Amazon). It has a variable output (set by jumper inside) and can be hardwired or have a plug attached. I have been using one for two years, and it just works.

I too have the GE $399 EVSE! Terrific unit at best cost out there.
I have had mine in operation for over a year now, and it just rocks!
Simple to install and use, I plug in early afternoon when I get home from work, then have my 7.5 kW Solar System charge the car for free!

How is this working out for you, OP ?

Simple one sentence recommendations -- all dozen or so.

After much research, I went with the Siemens EVSE. Recieved good ratings, looked nice an had a holder for the charging gun. I installed and satisfied with the results. For me paying a 'little' more isn't a concern since I should have it for years.

For under $25 I converted my Nissan EVSE from 120V 12A to 240V 12A and have been using it for over 3 years without any problems. I know EVSEUpgrade can achieve 240V 16A on the original Nissan EVSE for $300 but this is much cheaper and works well for 1/10th the price.!!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948

kindred said:
After much research, I went with the Siemens EVSE. Recieved good ratings, looked nice an had a holder for the charging gun. I installed and satisfied with the results. For me paying a 'little' more isn't a concern since I should have it for years.

Yes it is overly complicated. RV's just plug in but the J1772 protocol is about safety.

Many on this forum recommend Clipper Creek. They make good UL approved units.

I use a home constructed OpenEVSE unit. Many here like the Juicebox. Both adhere to the J177 specs but they are not UL approved.

Even cheaper are the Chinese units that work fine but lack GFCI protection. As such they are not fully J172 compliant but work.

Kindred: I wanted to make 2 comments about the Siemens VersiCharge you praised (whose specifications I personally like as well, but I have not yet had a need to buy):

1) From VersiCharge installation and operations manual:

"Nuisance fault: As a leader in electrical technology, Siemens has made the
decision to install 5 mA grounding protection in all VersiCharge devices.
This is the same level of protection that is required in kitchens and
bathrooms of residential dwellings. Some other manufacturers (EVSE and
Auto manufacturers) have selected 20 mA protection levels. Because
Siemens units measure to a more sensitive level, occasional charging
interruption may occur under certain circumstances. See section 4.3 for
reset instructions."

My comment:
a) This is why I much prefer a direct wired EVSE if at all feasible, since an non-GFCI outlet wired EVSE gives you NO GFCI protection at the outlet -- only at the J1772 plug. Note this point is frequently misunderstood!
Although I don't know about all available EVSEs, I haven't noticed any EVSE makers recommending the use of a GFCI breaker -- besides the additional cost of such a breaker it appears "nuisance faults" are too common for EVSEs (note the first VersiCharge manuals recommended using a GFCI breaker, but no longer do), so there appears to be no good way currently to protect an EVSE outlet by such a breaker.
b) It may be that the risk of a shock from an EVSE cable/J1772 plug (via wiring damage and/or water conduction, etc) is small, but I feel better knowing that the shocking current is limited to only 5 ma rather than to 20 ma (Big difference!). I haven't seen posts saying the VersiCharge EVSE has an excessive nuisance fault problem.

2) From Amazon website:

Question: "Do I need to use the amperage adjustment switch on the VersiCharge?"

Answer: "The VersiCharge is shipped from the factory with the amperage adjustment switch in the Max (100%) position. The position is marked by a small black arrow and not the screwdriver slot. The amperage adjustment switch is only used to limit power draw from the vehicle but does NOT allow the charging station to be wired on a smaller circuit than recommended in the installation manual."

My comment: In other words, if your EVSE circuit wiring is thinner than the REQUIRED 8 AWG copper, say 10 AWG copper, you should NOT try to get around this requirement by reducing this "amperage adjustment switch" to the appropriate setting less than 100% (30a), because it is a) too easy for someone in the future to change this switch back to 100% yet not upgrade the wiring (i.e. not realize the wiring is too thin to safely handle the load) and perhaps b) the UL inspectors deemed this switch not completely foolproof in limiting the amperage to less than 100% due to future possible malfunction.

I believe the intended function for this switch is to help prevent the overload of the master breaker. It is an open question if your house has two or more EVs and two or more EVSEs how to best not overload the master breaker when all your EVs are charging at the same time. Making use of EVSEs with an "amperage adjustment switch" set to less than 100% is one approach (while keeping all involved wiring at 8 AWG or better).

My Keurig coffee maker nuisance fault's my clipper creek sometimes. The clipper creek resets after a few minutes and resumes charging.

Back