Candidate for Least Used Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevRhino

I've never seen this before. Given that we are in Montgomery, AL, where EV use is below average, this is designed for a very specific audience.

uc

:lol:
Hopefully it's an either or, otherwise as you said I can't believe it would get much EV use :?
Having the handicapped sign I personally would be a little reluctant to use it, unless there were lots of other unused handicapped spots nearby......even then I'd be a bit worried...

Here is a zoomed out image that shows the charging station.

There are several more parking spaces to the left for those with disabilities.

Alabama legal code specifies a $50 fine for first offense of parking in a designated Disabled space without a valid permit. Subsequent offenses increase from there.

Even if the hotel intended for an either/or scenario, the state of Alabama probably won't see it that way. I'm not taking any chances. There are other nearby options.

uc

There are actually a lot of stations dual-marked in this way, alas. Two of them are a couple miles from me, at the Savage MARC (train) Station. I also suspect that dual use was intended (especially since there are no other charging stations on that floor), but I'd never consider charging there unless I also had a handicapped tag. The penalties for improperly parking in a handicapped spot are pretty harsh.

I've seen this in Arizona as well. It does seem like it was intended to be for dual use but the authorities may not see it as such and one may end up with a ticket.

I chose not to park there for charging (and was lucky to find a DCFC not too far from there).

I am with the rest of you and would not have parked there. What a let down that would be if you just road tripped to the hotel and find the one station like that. Whoever decided to put the charging station there is one lazy dude or just plain bad at planning things out. Dumb question, however, I am now wondering if the ticket for parking on the sidewalk would be cheaper then parking in a handicap spot. What about double parking in front of the handicap spot effectively blocking access to it?

Not sure if other states are different but that handicapped sign isn't really the official one(at least for my state) where the sign has to have the dollar amount of the fine for parking without authority($300 in my state I believe) and the ground would also need to have the outline of a large wheelchair painted on it.
Not that I wouldn't still feel leery parking there unattended but that sign looks more like something you'd pick up at Home Depot or similar and more of a courtesy sign than official sign.

jjeff said:
Not sure if other states are different but that handicapped sign isn't really the official one(at least for my state) where the sign has to have the dollar amount of the fine for parking without authority($300 in my state I believe) and the ground would also need to have the outline of a large wheelchair painted on it.
Not that I wouldn't still feel leery parking there unattended but that sign looks more like something you'd pick up at Home Depot or similar and more of a courtesy sign than official sign.

California doesn't require that the dollar amount be posted. I don't know if AL does. It does require the outline of the wheelchair to be painted on the ground, but I can't see enough of the parking space to see if it has that or not.

RonDawg said:
jjeff said:

California doesn't require that the dollar amount be posted. I don't know if AL does. It does require the outline of the wheelchair to be painted on the ground, but I can't see enough of the parking space to see if it has that or not.

Alabama has some of the fewest regulations regarding state level requirements for accessible parking (as opposed to California). I believe they only adhere to ADA requirements, which do not include symbol painting.

"Accessible parking spaces must be identified by signs that include the International Symbol of Accessibility. Signs at van-accessible spaces must include the additional phrase “van-accessible.”
Signs should be mounted so that the lower edge of the sign is at least five (5) feet above the ground. This helps ensure visibility both for motorists and local enforcement officials."

Let's say there's no one around watching you: If you absolutely need to use that charging station, grab your screwdriver, and in a minute or so, you'll have that top sign removed...throw it in your trunk. When your charging is done, re-install the sign. ;)

Back