Cross-Country Capable Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDXLeafGuy

How can we bring universal opportunity charging capability to our Leafs just as soon as possible? Without resorting to DIY EVSE.
How can we charge our Leafs from the commonly available 220v/240v outlets, like at any RV Park, in the near term?
How can we persuade Nissan to install higher power chargers onboard our Leafs soon?
We would like to be able to plug-in to NEMA 14-50 on the road and pull the full 12kw. Right?
Lets develop a concise understanding of what's necessary. Lets develop a plan to reach our goals. :)

PDXLeafGuy said:
How can we charge our Leafs from the commonly available 220v/240v outlets, like at any RV Park, in the near term?
Once I get my LEAF, I'll be checking the Level 1 EVSE that they include to see if the control pilot signal generator is auto-ranging in voltage. If so, we'll be able to plug them into 240 volt outlets and get 2,880 KW (240 volts @ 12 amps) without any modifications (as long as the wiring is at least 18 AWG).

DarkStar said:
PDXLeafGuy said:
Once I get my LEAF, I'll be checking the Level 1 EVSE that they include to see if the control pilot signal generator is auto-ranging in voltage. If so, we'll be able to plug them into 240 volt outlets and get 2,880 KW (240 volts @ 12 amps) without any modifications (as long as the wiring is at least 18 AWG).

Isn't this what they are doing in europe anyway? A lot of folks are planning on doing Level 1 charging, because frankly, its almost the same wattage as our Level 2's.

Europe & UK has no "L1" (120v) EVSEs. It is all plug-in L2 (200v to 250v) "charge adapters", usually 13 amps (even though the LEAF can use about 16 amps). It looks like there will be at least 16-amp hardwired versions available over there soon.

Here in the USA, we are starting to see plug-in L2 EVSEs, the Blink being the first actually delivered, I think. We will see more "soon", though they MIGHT be rated plug-in for INDOOR use only. Mounted outside, I think the Blink needs to be hardwired. Local Codes may vary.

PDXLeafGuy said:
How can we bring universal opportunity charging capability to our Leafs just as soon as possible? Without resorting to DIY EVSE.
How can we persuade Nissan to install higher power chargers onboard our Leafs soon?
We would like to be able to plug-in to NEMA 14-50 on the road and pull the full 12kw. Right?
Lets develop a concise understanding of what's necessary. Lets develop a plan to reach our goals. :)
The answer is a higher power on-board charger from Nissan, An aftermarket high-power charger retrofit. Or an external charger connected thru DC Quick Charge. All are expensive, inconvenient, or not available. IMHO, people are going to find the 3.3kW charger a limitation. It makes opportunity charging virtually useless. Having had the ability to charge at up to 10.5kW on the MINI E, I’m considering delaying my purchase to see if Smyrna built LEAFs have a bigger charger. Ford made the right decision on the Focus.

Seems like your only option for now is a carefully crafted "flight plan" with clearly identified stopovers every 70 miles, either friends, relatives, or RV parks. As a last resort, a honda EU2000 in the trunk wouldn't be a bad idea.

Maybe somebody will launch a "EV friends" social network where you could plug in. A fun way to meet people.

No matter what you'd better have time on your hands.

I'm still not clear on the NEC and whether cord and plug connected EVSEs are actually permitted. Is a lack of clarity preventing manufacturers from bringing what we need to market? Thanks to my local public library, I can pickup a copy of the 2011 NEC in the near term.

Perhaps I am missing something but I have not been seeing 100.0% transparency, accessibility, and the free flow of information when it comes to the NEC and how it pertains to our manufacturer EVs and opportunity charging. Who are the decision makers? Are there vested interests who have been slowing and stalling change?

I'm hoping Tesla is able to build a Roadster UMC analog for the Model S complete with J1772 connector on the car side that we could purchase for our Leafs if nothing else satisfactory emerges. Then perhaps the only other thing we would need is a timely charger upgrade. Why stop at 6.6kw? Why not go up to 12kw? :)

NEC 625.13 allows L2 (240v) EVSEs with certain safety features to be used plug-in INDOORS.

Not clear how big the "indoors" has to be, and if a "tent" over the RV connection qualify as "indoors". Of course, the EV-Police cannot be everywhere at once! :D

Still, cross-country EV travel really needs QC type stations along the way. L2-3.3kW is just too slow to be used by many folks. Taking 9 hours just to get to the edge of the LA area ... is not that great.

Back