Streetlights that charge electric cars arrive in California city

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCR: http://www.greencarreports.com/news...harge-electric-cars-arrive-in-california-city

Lancaster. The commercial viability of this can be judged by the fact that 6.5 years after public J1772 charging was first introduced to California:
Of the cost in Lancaster, 80 percent will be covered by a grant, including funds for any needed maintenance and assuring five year's worth of data collection. The other 20 percent will be covered by ebee, EasyCharge, and eluminocity, which has crafted the charger housings.
I'm all for dem/val projects for newish tech to gather data, but what exactly is so new about this that it requires essentially 100% subsidy?

The subsidy has less to do with it being untried technology and more to do with the fact that someone else is paying for it.

part of me prefer 14-50 socket instead of L2 plug.
if 14-50 socket goes bad, damage will be plug from EVSE.
if L2 plug goes bad, damage will be charge port on my leaf.
(i ve been charging at a "tight to plug-in" public chargepoint, and my charging port is behaving funny since then.)
also, i think it is cheaper to install (means more can be installed) metered 14-50 socket than evse. i can be wrong....

soldcake said:
part of me prefer 14-50 socket instead of L2 plug.
if 14-50 socket goes bad, damage will be plug from EVSE.
if L2 plug goes bad, damage will be charge port on my leaf.
(i ve been charging at a "tight to plug-in" public chargepoint, and my charging port is behaving funny since then.)
also, i think it is cheaper to install (means more can be installed) metered 14-50 socket than evse. i can be wrong....

I would never unplug a 14-50 plug that was carrying 30 amperes at 240 volts, but have no concern unplugging the J1772 plug because the system with safety interlocks is designed for that.

Cool to see. I applaud communities that actively try to expand the EV infrastructure.

So are these free to charge at? I didn't see anything in the article to indicate which network they are on if payment is needed. To date, I've only found a handful charging stations that were truly free for the consumer to use.

Love it!
As was mentioned...much safer to deal with the J1772 plug (that's what standards are for) than a "live" 240v plug.

Back