speedski97
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:44 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2013
Location: Whittier Ca

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 pm

The charging thing is all about cost. Are you doing this trip? If so what route are you taking and what stops are you going to use? this looked like a hard trip to do. It would be nice to see your route, and KWH you think you will have for each leg? Do you want to share?

leaftryer
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:44 pm

cwerdna wrote:Have you checked Plugshare? We have 2 at a local Walmart and they're EVgo. With no monthly fee, flex plan at https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/ means $4.95 to start a session + 20 cents/minute.

With rates like that (and Blink's 59 cents/kWh to DC FC for members), that's why I didn't bother paying a $1K to $1.5K premium for a car w/QC + LED package (at the time) when shopping for a used '13 Leaf. Much cheaper to fuel and less painful to use my Prius instead.


Doesn't EVgo also limit QC sessions to 30 minutes? So, if you still need more charging, you have to go back and restart it after 30 minutes plus pay an additional $4.95 for a new session.

User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:47 pm

speedski97 wrote:The charging thing is all about cost. Are you doing this trip? If so what route are you taking and what stops are you going to use? this looked like a hard trip to do. It would be nice to see your route, and KWH you think you will have for each leg? Do you want to share?

Yes of course! And so is my wife.

First leg, starting about 10AM Tuesday, July 25, from my house in the middle of Gunnison, CO to Salida Hospital. 65.9 miles. 16.7kWh or about 97% of my 11 bar battery at highway speed, so I'll creep this at 35mph until I make it to the top of Monarch Pass, then I'll see what I got for the way down. Hopefully I'll be in Salida by about noon.

Charge on L2 in Salida to around 95%, so about 3 hours.

Second leg, starting at around 3PM, Salida to Echo Canyon Campground near Cañon City. 50.3 miles. 11.2kWh. Arive around 4ish.

Charge on L1 (stock EVSE at 12A) from 4PM until at most 11AM the next morning. I should be done charging long before then.

Third leg, morning around 9:00AM hopefully, Wdnesday, July 25. From Echo Canyon Campground to Colorado Springs. It's 61 miles to North Nissan Dealership. Also REI EVgo CHAdeMO near by as backup. Estimated 15.2kWH at highway speed, so I'll take it easy and go slower than the speed limit in trying to not run out. There is a Walmart EVgo CHAdeMO near the entrance of Colorado Springs if I use more than I plan and can't make it to the northern section of the city. I'll probably get there around 10:30-11am.

Charge at Northern Nissan Dealership on CHAdeMO to 80%, or 100% from South part of town.

Fourth leg, sometime before noon, Colorado Springs to Castle Rock. It's 36.8 miles from northern Nissan Dealership with an estimated 10.1kWh use. Should get there before 1PM.

Charge on CHAdeMO at Walmart at Nissan Dealership to 80%.

Fifth leg. So sometime after 1PM I'll go from Castle Rock to a friend's house in northern Denver near the Airport, about 38.5 miles 9.6kWh away from Castle Rock. Hope to make it there before 3PM.

Return, first leg. After doing my stuff, on 3:30/4pm Sunday, July 30, I'll be headed from Smoky Hill RD Aurora to near the Colorado Mills Mall in Lakewood. I hope to start out with about 80%. It's 36 miles and I estimate about 8.7kWh. Arrive around 4:30.

Charge to 80%. There's a Nissan Dealership there with a CHAdeMO, but bad reviews. So I'm prepared to stay some extra time at a nearby L2 if necessary. I better check if the Colorado Mills is open that late on Sunday (last time I charged near a mall with my wife, this was in Grand Junction, it was Sunday and the mall was closed). Hopefully I'll be out of there by 5:00pm.

Second Leg. Head from the Colorado Mills Mall area to Idaho Springs, to Beau Jo's Pizza. Around 23.3 miles and 10.2 kWh. So hopefully by 6:00PM we can have some Pizza. They're open until 9:30 so hopefully we don't have to charge too long in Lakewood.

Charge at Beau Jo's until I have 100%, so hopefully that's around 9:00PM.

Leg 3. Now to Lowery Campground in Silverthorne. It's 41miles and 14.4kWh estimate at highway speed. I'll take it easy up the pass. I'm good at driving like my grandpa.

Charge at Lowery Campground off of L1 all night.

Forth leg. Next morning, Monday July 31. I can top off at a L2 nearby. I haven't decided whether I'll go through Breckenridge, Alma and Fairplay to make it to Buena Vista. If I did I could charge up to 100% in Breckenridge. It would be a tough pass to Buena Vista though, but doable I do believe. Or I can charge up to 100% at Copper Mountain. That will give me enough to make it to Buena Vista. If I can charge up in Leadville I could make it clear to Salida. But I do believe the chargers in Buena Vista are more centralized than in Leadville.

Charge in Salida to 100%.

Fifth leg. Salida to home in Gunnison. This will be another slow drive (35mph with flashers on). I hope we make it!
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:48 pm

leaftryer wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Have you checked Plugshare? We have 2 at a local Walmart and they're EVgo. With no monthly fee, flex plan at https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/ means $4.95 to start a session + 20 cents/minute.

With rates like that (and Blink's 59 cents/kWh to DC FC for members), that's why I didn't bother paying a $1K to $1.5K premium for a car w/QC + LED package (at the time) when shopping for a used '13 Leaf. Much cheaper to fuel and less painful to use my Prius instead.


Doesn't EVgo also limit QC sessions to 30 minutes? So, if you still need more charging, you have to go back and restart it after 30 minutes plus pay an additional $4.95 for a new session.

Oh brother! At least I won't be doing this regularly.
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1870
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 am

I think the 30-minute limitation on EVgo is part of the NCTC (no charge to charge) program and it may be possible to charge longer by calling. EVgo and Blink have membership programs that charge credit card as you go without charging set amount in advance (like Charge point). I am not sure how to get a combined RFID card without initially being part of NCTC program, but I can use that one card at any station and it bills my appropriate account (Blink, Charge point, EVgo, etc.). You should be able to charge at Blink or EVgo chargers by calling the appropriate customer service phone number with credit card number ready. Good luck on your trip--it sounds like you have planned you routes carefully.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

leaftryer
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:15 pm

GerryAZ wrote:I think the 30-minute limitation on EVgo is part of the NCTC (no charge to charge) program and it may be possible to charge longer by calling. EVgo and Blink have membership programs that charge credit card as you go without charging set amount in advance (like Charge point). I am not sure how to get a combined RFID card without initially being part of NCTC program, but I can use that one card at any station and it bills my appropriate account (Blink, Charge point, EVgo, etc.). You should be able to charge at Blink or EVgo chargers by calling the appropriate customer service phone number with credit card number ready. Good luck on your trip--it sounds like you have planned you routes carefully.


No, Boit and Tesla owners complain about the limit.
The limit is probably less of an issue on a Leaf because of the low capacity battery.

User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:26 pm

GerryAZ wrote:... You should be able to charge at Blink or EVgo chargers by calling the appropriate customer service phone number with credit card number ready...

You must be right, and thanks! After sending EVgo an email last week and getting no response I finally found this on their website under >>FAQS<<:
I want to use your network but don’t have an EVgo® network subscription-what do I do?
We offer subscription plans to ensure the highest level of value and convenience for our drivers. In addition, to activate a charger without a subscription, please call our call center from the station and they will be happy to assist you with an individual charge.
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

Reddy
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:02 pm

IssacZachary wrote:...First leg, starting about 10AM Tuesday, July 25, from my house in the middle of Gunnison, CO to Salida Hospital. 65.9 miles. 16.7kWh or about 97% of my 11 bar battery at highway speed, so I'll creep this at 35mph until I make it to the top of Monarch Pass, then I'll see what I got for the way down. Hopefully I'll be in Salida by about noon...... I hope we make it!
Good luck and let us know how it goes! For the good of the EV community, perhaps call or stop at the Monarch Mnt ski area to see if there is a J1772 ClipperCreek in addition to the Tesla HPWC. Plugshare indicates such and most Tesla installations have both. However, plugshare says not available "off season", which probably mean summer.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Reddy wrote:Good luck and let us know how it goes! For the good of the EV community, perhaps call or stop at the Monarch Mnt ski area to see if there is a J1772 ClipperCreek in addition to the Tesla HPWC. Plugshare indicates such and most Tesla installations have both. However, plugshare says not available "off season", which probably mean summer.

I'll check it and maybe take some pictures. But usually they barricade the entrance with cement barricades during the off-season. :( It would be awesome if there were a way to charge there! On the way back it would help since Gunnison is a but higher than Salida, so I'll need more charge on the way back.
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

eatsleafsandshoots
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:23 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am

FYI, the CHAdeMO at Empire Lakewood Nissan (the one you noted with 'bad reviews') does indeed work, they're just assholes there, the primary L2 is broken, and the charge costs ~$0.35/kWh through Greenlots.

You can visit my house (undisclosed location between Evergreen and Morrison, PM me) to L2 if you want. I'm on a TOU plan and all I ask is that you pay for the juice you use, and you can use my WiFi for free. Let me know if you're interested.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”