jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Re: Best EVSE/charging solution for my situation?

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:15 am

baustin wrote:
Where is your panel located?
Where is the EVSE going to be installed?
Have you picked out the EVSE to purchase?

The answers to the above questions will impact how the new circuit is extended from the panel to the EVSE location.

The run from the panel to the EVSE should be as straight and short as possible. If the walls are finished, just run the wire in conduit on the surface. I would recommend putting any surface mounted wire in conduit, for protection, even if your locale does not require it.

The panel is on the exact opposite corner of the house from where the EVSE will be located. The total run will be about 90 feet. I have not picked the EVSE yet. Thanks.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:31 am

jake14mw wrote:I really appreciate everyone's excellent feedback. People gave me exactly what I was looking for. At this point, I am definitely leaning towards running a new circuit. I do have another question about that. My garage has insulation, drywall, and is painted. Once I get the wire to the garage, I will need to run it along the wall about 20 feet. I guess I have a choice between cutting the drywall and running the wire through the studs, or putting the wire in metal conduit on the outside of the wall, right?

I'd use BX/AC(flexible metal conduit with wires already inside) or Greenfield(same as BX but wires are purchased separately) unless you can run wires above ceiling.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:38 pm

jake14mw wrote:I really appreciate everyone's excellent feedback. People gave me exactly what I was looking for. At this point, I am definitely leaning towards running a new circuit. I do have another question about that. My garage has insulation, drywall, and is painted. Once I get the wire to the garage, I will need to run it along the wall about 20 feet. I guess I have a choice between cutting the drywall and running the wire through the studs, or putting the wire in metal conduit on the outside of the wall, right?
Yes that is the choice for a finished garage. Are you sure you even want it inside? I thought the car was mostly going to charge outside? No need for an outlet, just hardwire the evse.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
I-Pace on order for end of 2018 delivery

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:04 pm

smkettner wrote:
Yes that is the choice for a finished garage. Are you sure you even want it inside? I thought the car was mostly going to charge outside? No need for an outlet, just hardwire the evse.

The trouble with wiring it directly is that it becomes part of the installation. It is always good to follow the NEC requirements but most Chinese and the OpenEVSE are safe but they are not UL approved. This is a problem if an over zealous inspector is involved.

In my opinion it is just better to have a 14-50R installed for large RV use. When you say EV everyone thinks they have struck gold.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:10 pm

smkettner wrote:

So our juicebox is fed from a 50 amp cable. You can see the conduit on the left and a little on the bottom. This conduit is vented which is the only conduit you are allowed to use for a prefab cord where we live. Easy install (screws to the wall) then the cord lays in the conduit and the top snaps on top. Can be removed if something changes later. For us we wanted to be able to change it later (60 amp Tesla HPWC requirement) so we had the Nema 14-50 installed close to the box but on the garage side and then used a 25 foot 50 amp RV extension cord. Looks great. Works well. Paintable if you want.

2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:01 pm

GlennD wrote:The trouble with wiring it directly is that it becomes part of the installation. It is always good to follow the NEC requirements but most Chinese and the OpenEVSE are safe but they are not UL approved. This is a problem if an over zealous inspector is involved.

In my opinion it is just better to have a 14-50R installed for large RV use. When you say EV everyone thinks they have struck gold.

OK and I recommend Clipper Creek. No inspection issues.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
I-Pace on order for end of 2018 delivery

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Clipper Creek certainly makes fine fixed EVSE's. If you want variable adjustment you need to go with the modified Tesla EVSE or the adjustable JuiceBox or OpenEVSE units. The advantage of the Clipper Creek units is that they are UL approved. I am an OpenEVSE person and they work for me. I have been before they added the GFCI test and circuit. The first units were crude in comparison to the current offering. Just like the Chinese units they worked under perfect conditions. The Tesla units use a Potter and Brumfield unit at 40A It is rated for that in pass through mode. I guess it it fails it needs to be replaced anyway.

I feel GFCI is important and it is part of the J1772 spec. I am not comfortable with a Chinese unit without it. As far as I know the Clipper Creek units fully comply.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

jake14mw

Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:54 pm

An update to my situation. I saw a great deal on Amazon on a Siemens VersiCharge 30 amp EVSE charger. It was $359, so I ordered it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MF ... UTF8&psc=1

Is has a NEMA 6-50 plug. So, I am planning on running a new Circuit. The total wire run will be about 90 feet. I did some checking on wire prices, keeping in mind the idea of futureproofing for cars and chargers in the future that can handle higher charging rates. I found that a 125 ft roll of 6-2 romex is about $165, vs, $115 for 8-2. If I am going through the work, I would think I would want to install a 50 amp breaker and the 6-2? Does this make sense? Is this the right type of wire? For this length run is this the right gauge wire? My garage is drywalled, so the plan is that once the wire gets to the garage wall from the basement, then I will run it in 1" PVC conduit. Is this conduit large enough for 6-2?

Is this the right type of wire?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-1 ... =6-2+romex
Last edited by jake14mw on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:47 pm

The breaker should be sized for the EVSE, not just the cable. You can always swap in a 50 amp breaker if/when you get a 40 amp EVSE. Assuming a 30 amp EVSE you want a 40 amp breaker now. The link to the cable wouldn't load.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jake14mw

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:The breaker should be sized for the EVSE, not just the cable. You can always swap in a 50 amp breaker if/when you get a 40 amp EVSE. Assuming a 30 amp EVSE you want a 40 amp breaker now. The link to the cable wouldn't load.

Thanks, fixed the link.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”