GRA

Phoenix Contact Debuts CCS Connector For 500A, 500 kW Charging Possible

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Via IEVS: https://insideevs.com/phoenix-contact-introduces-ccs-connector-for-500a-500-kw-charging-possible/

Cooled cables. With current ~400V packs that's 200kW max, but this allows up to 1kV which is where the 500kW value comes from.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Phoenix Contact Debuts CCS Connector For 500A, 500 kW Charging Possible

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Compare to the current CCS spec which allows up to 200A ... yet runs at around 45 kW throughput anywhere you can find them. If you can find them.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GRA

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:12 pm

SageBrush wrote:Compare to the current CCS spec which allows up to 200A ... yet runs at around 45 kW throughput anywhere you can find them. If you can find them.

Pretty easy to find them around here (it was actually easier to find 24kW BMW CCS on I-5 north of Sacramento or I-80/U.S. 50 up to Lake Tahoe until recently), and will get a whole lot easier in many areas as Electrify America increases deployment. See https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan
and click on the" Cycle 1 National ZEV Investment plan" link. The Denver metro area is one of the 11 metro areas which will see early development, along with the I-25/70/76 corridors.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

wmcbrine

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:31 pm

SageBrush wrote:Compare to the current CCS spec which allows up to 200A ... yet runs at around 45 kW throughput anywhere you can find them. If you can find them.

No problem to find them here. Every Evgo station was updated, and almost all newer DCFC installations are dual-standard (or Tesla).

SageBrush

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:49 am

Yep, there is some CCS on the coasts.
The closest CCS to me is ~ 260 miles away in Albuquerque/Santa Fe, and from there I have no idea. Somewhere in Texas
Last edited by SageBrush on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
-----

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:05 am

wmcbrine wrote:Every Evgo station was updated, and almost all newer DCFC installations are dual-standard (or Tesla).

True, but there have a bunch of new installations on I-5 between the SF Bay Area and OR border that are SAE Combo ONLY and NOT EVgo. They've tended to be the lame 24 kW https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/cpe100/.

Look at Plugshare at California towns like Yreka, Dunsmuir, Corning, Chico, Williams, Then switch Plugshare's filter to CHAdeMO for that stretch of I-5...

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:00 pm

SageBrush wrote:Yep, there is some CCS on the coasts.
The closest CCS to me is ~ 260 miles away in Albuquerque/Santa Fe, and from there I have no idea. Somewhere in Texas

Per Plugshare, there are almost as many CCS (36 locations) as CHAdeMO (40 locations) in Colorado now. Most are presumably dual-standard. In both cases they're mainly along I-25 from Ft. Collins down to Pueblo plus 2 or 3 in Aspen, but there's a CCS in Julesberg. I take it you're in SW CO, and are SoL at the moment either way?

SageBrush

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 am

GRA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Yep, there is some CCS on the coasts.

Per Plugshare, there are almost as many CCS (36 locations) as CHAdeMO (40 locations) in Colorado now. Most are presumably dual-standard. In both cases they're mainly along I-25 from Ft. Collins down to Pueblo plus 2 or 3 in Aspen, but there's a CCS in Julesberg. I take it you're in SW CO, and are SoL at the moment either way?

Exactly so. Very nice deduction.

I don't really care though, since I'm getting a Tesla. 6/8 directions are already easily traveled; the other two directions (heading east or NE) are possible but a bit annoying for now but expected to become just as easy as the other directions in 2018 when Alamosa and Telluride go live.

The odd part of the CCS network for now is its tendency to be placed in or near urban areas rather than in places that facilitate driving from one urban center to another. Like they still have to help EVs reach the outskirts of an urban area and return (or vice versa.) The CCS network in CO is a good example: travel along the front range corridor N <-> S from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs is possible and reasonably convenient, but forget about destinations to the East or West, or past those two cities.
-----

GRA

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:45 pm

SageBrush wrote:
GRA wrote:Per Plugshare, there are almost as many CCS (36 locations) as CHAdeMO (40 locations) in Colorado now. Most are presumably dual-standard. In both cases they're mainly along I-25 from Ft. Collins down to Pueblo plus 2 or 3 in Aspen, but there's a CCS in Julesberg. I take it you're in SW CO, and are SoL at the moment either way?

I don't really care though, since I'm getting a Tesla. 6/8 directions are already easily traveled; the other two directions (heading east or NE) are possible but a bit annoying for now but expected to become just as easy as the other directions in 2018 when Alamosa and Telluride go live.

The odd part of the CCS network for now is its tendency to be placed in or near urban areas rather than in places that facilitate driving from one urban center to another. Like they still have to help EVs reach the outskirts of an urban area and return (or vice versa.) The CCS network in CO is a good example: travel along the front range corridor N <-> S from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs is possible and reasonably convenient, but forget about destinations to the East or West, or past those two cities.

OTOH, Colorado along with the other western states has pledged to build out the interstate network, and Electrify America will presumably be paying for most of it. IIRR, Colorado will be getting them along I-70, 76, and 25. As you suggest (and I've argued in the past), the EA plan is to prioritize joining urban areas that have lots of EVs (plus some weekend destinations) by QCs, which IMO is what Tesla should have done at the start, as argued upthread. With CCS/CHAdeMO QCs in Aspen, they'll obviously have to provide some to reach Denver, SLC and Vegas via I-70, plus connecting to the existing QCs along the I-15 corridor in the near future.

SageBrush

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:28 pm

GRA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
GRA wrote:Per Plugshare, there are almost as many CCS (36 locations) as CHAdeMO (40 locations) in Colorado now. Most are presumably dual-standard. In both cases they're mainly along I-25 from Ft. Collins down to Pueblo plus 2 or 3 in Aspen, but there's a CCS in Julesberg. I take it you're in SW CO, and are SoL at the moment either way?

OTOH, Colorado along with the other western states has pledged to build out the interstate network, and Electrify America will presumably be paying for most of it. IIRR, Colorado will be getting them along I-70, 76, and 25. As you suggest (and I've argued in the past), the EA plan is to prioritize joining urban areas that have lots of EVs (plus some weekend destinations) by QCs, which IMO is what Tesla should have done at the start, as argued upthread. With CCS/CHAdeMO QCs in Aspen, they'll obviously have to provide some to reach Denver, SLC and Vegas via I-70, plus connecting to the existing QCs along the I-15 corridor in the near future.

I paraphrase the entire build-out as a presumption that trips over ~ 200 miles each way will not be with an EV.
-----

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”