Electric car charging on the road has to be way, way better than it is today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Only an idiot would drive an "electric car" with no DC charge port and such a tiny available battery capacity, and then complain about the public charging infrastructure!

It was the manufacturers of these nearly-worthless PHEVs that persuaded us to install all those nearly-useless public AC sites in the first place...

...A couple of weeks ago, we charged a 2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid 15 times within two days.

It was part of a contest during a two-day press drive for the car—though we were beaten by the team that charged their Niro a stunning 31 times in little more than 30 hours.

But our experience reinforced what many electric car drivers either knew going in or have learned relatively quickly: Electric-car charging at public stations needs to be far better than it is today...

The journalists set up a test that was bound to shine an uncomplimentary light on PHEVs, but plug-in hybrids are far from a bad idea. I use our Prius Prime for my 90 mile commute -- too long for my LEAF -- and have averaged 100 MPG over 10k miles.

AC charging at the workplace with AC charging at home makes for a very useful PHEV. Even my case of only AC charging at home has halved my petrol consumption for my work commute. And unlike my LEAF, the PHEV is good for longer trips too and will last a LOT longer.

And just to set the record straight -- the AC charger network was mostly put up for the < 100 mile range 1st generation of EVs like the LEAF.

SageBrush said:
The journalists set up a test that was bound to shine an uncomplimentary light on PHEVs, but plug-in hybrids are far from a bad idea. I use our Prius Prime for my 90 mile commute -- too long for my LEAF -- and have averaged 100 MPG over 10k miles.

AC charging at the workplace with AC charging at home makes for a very useful PHEV. Even my case of only AC charging at home has halved my petrol consumption for my work commute. And unlike my LEAF, the PHEV is good for longer trips too and will last a LOT longer.

And just to set the record straight -- the AC charger network was mostly put up for the < 100 mile range 1st generation of EVs like the LEAF.
Yup. PHEVs don't need away from home charging, it's just a nice to have, whereas for short -range BEVs (and people without at home charging), it's essential. Of course, someone without any convenient place to charge should just buy an HEV rather than a PHEV. Also, none of the points raised in the article were specific to PHEVs, they applied to all PEVs.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
...And just to set the record straight -- the AC charger network was mostly put up for the < 100 mile range 1st generation of EVs like the LEAF.
Yup. PHEVs don't need away from home charging, it's just a nice to have...
Unfortunately, the practice of giving PHEVs free charging at public L2 sites often degrades those EVSEs, making them extremely unreliable for BEVs.

Fortunately, the vehicle Kia Niro will soon be available as an actual electric vehicle, so you can pass on the Piss-poor HEV version used in the story.

edatoakrun said:
Unfortunately, the practice of giving PHEVs free charging at public L2 sites often degrades those EVSEs, making them extremely unreliable for BEVs.
Do you have something to back that assertion up with besides paranoia ?

SageBrush said:
edatoakrun said:
Do you have something to back that assertion up with besides paranoia ?

FUD

edatoakrun said:
GRA said:
SageBrush said:
...And just to set the record straight -- the AC charger network was mostly put up for the < 100 mile range 1st generation of EVs like the LEAF.
Yup. PHEVs don't need away from home charging, it's just a nice to have...
I know of very few free chargers around here for any PEVs, but if the property owners consider that a problem they can change it. At the 10 L2 EVSE Blink site nearest me, I've never seen more than 4 occupied at the same time, for the simple reason that charging there is more expensive than buying gas. But I still see both PHEVs and BEVs using it occasionally, although the BEVs are more likely to use the single co-located CHAdeMO and pay $.10/kWh more. I'm certainly in favor of making people pay for energy, but I don't see how that's an issue for BEVs specifically, beyond the fact that a charging station may not be available for them when they want to use it. Charging station hogs are just as likely to be driving BEVs as PHEVs.

edatoakrun said:
Fortunately, the vehicle Kia Niro will soon be available as an actual electric vehicle, so you can pass on the Piss-poor HEV version used in the story.
Hey, whatever works for you or anyone else. We'll soon see how sales break down between the two versions - I fully expect the PHEV to outsell the BEV by a wide margin based on price and performance, but I could be wrong.

Edited for typos.

I stopped by the local Kia dealership about a month ago to inquire about both the Kia Soul EV, and the Niro PHEV, of which the dealership knew nothing on either one... :roll:

In my state there are still under 100 public charging docs (not l1 mix of paid and unpaid) enough to support charging under 100 evs statewide
and 99% of themare located in 3 cities.

For the rest of us the only public charging is 110vac outlets at Kwik trip, my work also provides 110vac for block heaters and Evs but that isn’t public.

So yes our infrastructure needs to improve.

I also think that at stores restaurants and other places you park an hour or more that a 220 volt outlet is more than adequate and should be legalized, acceptance by business would be far higher if the EVSE burden was on the vehicle owner.

The only place l3 is needed for EVs to become viable is along the highways preferably in the middle of nowhere between the cities, for me at least the single fast charger right in the city is totally worthless, what good is a fast charger that’s right next to where I live when no chargers exist along the roads I drive on?

rmay635703 said:
what good is a fast charger that’s right next to where I live when no chargers exist along the roads I drive on?
The obvious answer would be that a lot of people are not you. E.g., EV owners that travel to where you live as a destination for an hour or two.

SageBrush said:
rmay635703 said:
what good is a fast charger that’s right next to where I live when no chargers exist along the roads I drive on?
The obvious answer would be that a lot of people are not you. E.g., EV owners that travel to where you live as a destination for an hour or two.
About 250,000 + benefit from the situation as much as I do though.
(Which is a big area in this state)

I don’t foresee many “rural” EV owners driving to the cities to use the “qwik “ charger to go back to their farm

rmay635703 said:
SageBrush said:
rmay635703 said:
About 250,000 + benefit from the situation as much as I do though.
(Which is a big area in this state)

I don’t foresee many “rural” EV owners driving to the cities to use the “qwik “ charger to go back to their farm
Or Suburbanites.
Or Urbanites without home charging.

The point is that it is not always just about you, regardless of what your Mommy said.

Back