GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Re: Electrify America Network

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:50 am

I will be very surprised if they come out with different pricing for VW EVers, since that directly goes against their mandate.

VW can go one of two ways with this - they can either embrace EVs and go all-in, or they could do the bare minimum and then try to dump the network into someone else's hands once it is built.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 am

My impression is that the location owner sets pricing on the EA network. All the Walmart locations have the same pricing at $1 to start and 30 cents a minute. That works out to a refueling cost ~ the same as a 30 - 35 mpg gasser if a LEAF is the comparison EV.
Last edited by SageBrush on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GetOffYourGas

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:59 am

That's not bad. But right now EVGo is $0.21/minute (in the northeast) with no starting cost. Since my car charges *almost* as fast on their 50kW charger as EA's 150kW charger, EVGo is cheaper per mile. This works out to about a 43 MPG car (which happens to be what my PHEV gets in CS mode).

It will be interesting to see how the competition shakes out.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

EVDRIVER

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:That's not bad. But right now EVGo is $0.21/minute (in the northeast) with no starting cost. Since my car charges *almost* as fast on their 50kW charger as EA's 150kW charger, EVGo is cheaper per mile. This works out to about a 43 MPG car (which happens to be what my PHEV gets in CS mode).

EV go charge times near me are terrible. I get 30-45kw so the cost varies quite a bit and they don't care that they do not deliver the full 50kw. Cost per min is going to get ugly once people become more educated on how charging works.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:That's not bad. But right now EVGo is $0.21/minute (in the northeast) with no starting cost. Since my car charges *almost* as fast on their 50kW charger as EA's 150kW charger, EVGo is cheaper per mile. This works out to about a 43 MPG car (which happens to be what my PHEV gets in CS mode).

That is the point I was making earlier. If you are fuel agnostic and end up choosing by convenience, do you choose the ICE or the EV for road tripping ?
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GetOffYourGas

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:23 am

EVDRIVER wrote:

EV go charge times near me are terrible. I get 30-45kw so the cost varies quite a bit and they don't care that they do not deliver the full 50kw. Cost per min is going to get ugly once people become more educated on how charging works.

You seem to misunderstand how the chargers work. EVGo chargers that I've used are all labelled "50kW", but in reality some can push 100A, others can push 120A or 125A. The voltage is then dictated by your car's battery. So if your battery is only at 350V, you will get 35kW at a 100A charger but 43.75kW at a 125A charger. This will be a non-issue at EA chargers since it will provide as much current as any modern EV can use. But still it won't be 150kW, it will be limited by the car.

SageBrush wrote:<span>
GetOffYourGas wrote:That's not bad. But right now EVGo is $0.21/minute (in the northeast) with no starting cost. Since my car charges *almost* as fast on their 50kW <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a> as EA's 150kW charger, EVGo is cheaper per mile. This works out to about a 43 MPG car (which happens to be what my PHEV gets in CS mode).</span>

That is the point I was making earlier. If you are fuel agnostic and end up choosing by convenience, do you choose the ICE or the EV for road tripping ?

If you are fuel agnostic and only choose by convenience, then cost isn't a consideration. You will always choose EV for local driving and always choose ICE for long distance. You might even buy a PHEV and get both in one car. But if you are going only by cost, the EV is still cheaper on the trip because the first N miles were powered by cheap electricity purchased at home.

I know I don't speak for the general public, but I am neither fuel agnostic nor choosing by convenience. I will go out of my way to avoid burning any gasoline at all. But I have my limit. I will not stop at a L2 and wait while my car charges at 7kW for hours. But I will stop at a 50kW EVGo and wait for an hour to get nearly a full charge. It just takes some planning - stop during a meal and you won't notice any inconvenience.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

EVDRIVER

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:44 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:

You seem to misunderstand how the chargers work

Is that sarcasm? LOL! Allow me to repeat my post. You can go to an EV go charger that has no other cars in any stall and charge at 5% SOC and only get 30-45kw. There is NO car restriction, no heat restriction, the only restriction is their crappy network. I have seen this on many EVs under many conditions all with low SOC rates. EV "NO" will always say it is your car not the charger even though that is completely false. They are charging per min and deliver at the rate they want. Also you have no recourse of any kind.

Thank you for the newbie EV lesson on EV charging, it's about 15 years late:)

GetOffYourGas

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:07 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:

You seem to misunderstand how the chargers work

Is that sarcasm? LOL! Allow me to repeat my post. You can go to an EV go charger that has no other cars in any stall and charge at 5% SOC and only get 30-45kw. There is NO car restriction, no heat restriction, the only restriction is their crappy network. I have seen this on many EVs under many conditions all with low SOC rates. EV "NO" will always say it is your car not the charger even though that is completely false. They are charging per min and deliver at the rate they want. Also you have no recourse of any kind.

Thank you for the newbie EV lesson on EV charging, it's about 15 years late:)

:lol:

I'm glad you've been driving an EV for 15 years. Kudos to you!

But that doesn't mean you've learned everything there is to know. Thank you for repeating your misunderstanding of electricity, and confirming that what I said is true. No sarcasm here.. It is not the charger, it is the car. What EVGo said is true. If the charger can put out 100A at 500V, it is a 50kW charger. NO EV on the market has a 500V battery, so you will never get 50kW.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

EVDRIVER

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:26 am

Brian, I can actually get 45kw our of an EV go charger. It should not be 30kw, that is the point. I do understand electricity and pack voltages, etc. No EV go will not charge at 50kw to clarify, however I can pull 45kw per the EV go screen and the my instrumentation repeatedly. I can use that same station at the same or lower SOC and get only 30kw at times. Unless that station has thermal or other imposed restrictions then something is not right. I have been to some stations that never go above 32kw regardless of any condition, time, traffic, SOC, etc, etc. There is nothing on my pack at any tested SOC that would restrict charging below 70kw in any of those many test cases. Clearly EV go has issues suppling full capacity at times yet they put the blame on the car each and every time

GetOffYourGas

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:36 am

Thank you for clarifying, I understand your issue now. I didn't realize you meant you could get either 30kW or 45kW out of the same charger at different times.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”