GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Re: Electrify America Network

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Looking at PlugShare, it seems that many / most of the 12 available EA stations are having availability issues. I hope this is just teething issues and that EA steps in to make things right. The last thing we want is a huge abandoned network just mocking us.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

GRA

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:51 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:Looking at PlugShare, it seems that many / most of the 12 available EA stations are having availability issues. I hope this is just teething issues and that EA steps in to make things right. The last thing we want is a huge abandoned network just mocking us.

Teething troubles are pretty much inevitable. EA does post this general warning for each of the sites listed on Plugshare:
We are excited to be live in the market with our first few Electrify America LLC stations. During these initial deployments, some of our dispensers may experience an intermittent issue rendering them temporarily unavailable. Dispensers at this location may be affected and Electrify America is working to address this issue. If you are unable to initiate a charge at a particular dispenser, please contact us at 833-632-2778 for assistance.

Checking around, I saw 4-6 sites that had had issues, but some were old reports and seemed to have been cleared up. Others were current and had extended for a week or so since the last good check-in. EA can't abandon the network as they've still got about 8 years to continue spending money to build it, and doing so would bring the wrath of governments down on them with even more penalties, so no worries there.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Two more QC sites have opened making 14 total, in Lebanon, MO and Nashville, TN. For reasons known only to EA (construction start dates, perhaps?), they've been inserted in the existing list rather than added on to the end, so the numbers of some existing sites have changed. They've done this before.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:10 pm

I don't think I posted this previously, but EA's Q2 2018 report to CARB, dated August 10th, on their efforts in California is posted on EA's website as a pdf download. Here's the main link to the news and updates page: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/news

and the link to the 20 page file itself is available on that page under:
August 10, 2018
Electrify America Releases its Q2 2018 Report to the California Air Resources Board

GRA

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Hays, KS on I-70 is now open, #15 (but listed as #11, moving others around). This connects with Colby (115 miles), but both are out of range of major urban centers at either end as of yet. The QC scheduled for Topeka will be about 197 miles away, so another is needed in Salina or somewhere nearby.

GetOffYourGas

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 am

15 open, 49 coming soon. I've noticed that this month, the sum of these two numbers hasn't changed - they simply are moving them from "coming soon" to "open". I wonder if this just represents the end-of-the-quarter where they are scrambling to get as many open as possible, and not worrying about finding locations / permitting / etc on new ones.

Either way, they have to pick up the pace. There are only about 9.5 months left to open some 300 sites!
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

GRA

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm

AIUI (see links on first page upthread), they said the first phase sites would all be complete or under development by June 2019, so I don't think 300 have to be done by then, just have contracts signed, permits underway etc. I'm comfortable with them only updating the 'coming soon' list every three or six months, as long as they actually commission the existing 'coming soon' sites. As it is, Tesla completed about 27 SCs (29 if you count the two N/S sites individually) in their first year, so EA is doing better than that at the moment. Tesla then zoomed to 50 over the remaining 2.5 months that year. Even if EA only continues to average their current 3 sites/month that gives them 36 at the end of the first year (May 2nd), and I expect they've got another month or month and a half before cold weather starts to limit construction. The pace seems to be picking up a bit - I think they'll probably manage at least 4 this month.

paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:59 pm

GRA wrote:AIUI (see links on first page upthread), they said the first phase sites would all be complete or under development by June 2019, so I don't think 300 have to be done by then, just have contracts signed, permits underway etc. I'm comfortable with them only updating the 'coming soon' list every three or six months, as long as they actually commission the existing 'coming soon' sites. As it is, Tesla completed about 27 SCs (29 if you count the two N/S sites individually) in their first year, so EA is doing better than that at the moment. Tesla then zoomed to 50 over the remaining 2.5 months that year. Even if EA only continues to average their current 3 sites/month that gives them 36 at the end of the first year (May 2nd), and I expect they've got another month or month and a half before cold weather starts to limit construction. The pace seems to be picking up a bit - I think they'll probably manage at least 4 this month.

Guy,

We're looking for them to step up the pace here in California. They have 169 station to get in before 2020--that's the way I read it.

Paul
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:26 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:15 open, 49 coming soon. I've noticed that this month, the sum of these two numbers hasn't changed - they simply are moving them from "coming soon" to "open". I wonder if this just represents the end-of-the-quarter where they are scrambling to get as many open as possible, and not worrying about finding locations / permitting / etc on new ones.

Either way, they have to pick up the pace. There are only about 9.5 months left to open some 300 sites!

Not sure EA has total control over this. Albany has been coming soon for months. Remember I took pix of them hooking up the last station in July and its still not open. Guessing permitting and utility feet dragging is to blame.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GetOffYourGas

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:27 pm

GRA wrote:I'm comfortable with them only updating the 'coming soon' list every three or six months, as long as they actually commission the existing 'coming soon' sites.

You aren’t really affected by this roll out. I understand your reasons, but you don’t have an EV so you are just watching from the sidelines here. Those of us who drive EVs everyday want to see operational chargers!
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”