stutech
Delivery Date: 28 May 2018
Leaf Number: 309018

Re: Electrify America Network

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:14 pm

Just as a PSA to everyone on here if you plan on using electrify America chademo side, make sure you have backup plans/ a level 2 evse and adaptors with. I recently tried 2 of the new sites and one the card reader was broke, and even when I called them they couldn’t get it working. They even tried a remote start which failed. Another site failed to show pricing info, and after several reboots still failed to even let me continue without pricing info. These sites were heyburn, ID and Mountain Home, Idaho respectively. I’ve also heard from some other drivers Huntington, OR is having issues too. So charge at your own risk until EA fixes the bugs.
2019 Leaf SL Plus Scarlet Ember

GRA

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:48 pm

stutech wrote:Just as a PSA to everyone on here if you plan on using electrify America chademo side, make sure you have backup plans/ a level 2 evse and adaptors with. I recently tried 2 of the new sites and one the card reader was broke, and even when I called them they couldn’t get it working. They even tried a remote start which failed. Another site failed to show pricing info, and after several reboots still failed to even let me continue without pricing info. These sites were heyburn, ID and Mountain Home, Idaho respectively. I’ve also heard from some other drivers Huntington, OR is having issues too. So charge at your own risk until EA fixes the bugs.

Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like the usual teething troubles.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 pm

GCC:
Electrify America restores full capacity to fast-charging network after testing clears cables
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/01/20190129-ea.html

. . . Since the event became known, HUBER+SUHNER carried out intensive investigations and tests, in some cases also together with its customers and partners. These also included tests on the entire charging system with high-power charging cables from series production.

The tests confirmed the correct functionality of the system and proved that the series products supplied by HUBER+SUHNER meet the required standards without any restrictions, both individually and in the entire charging system. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:05 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:As I wrote on the “Mission E” thread, I take this as good news. VWAG is taking EVs seriously. EA’s network is now critics to the success of one of their flagship products. Unlike a certain other network, EA is not a walled garden; it is available for all EVs to use. That they have financial motivation to maintain and improve it is a boon to all EV drivers.

EA doesn't have to be a protocol "walled garden" with its pricing scheme. Don't be surprised to see VW giving favorable pricing scheme for its customers while we are left out in the cold.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:EA doesn't have to be a protocol "walled garden" with its pricing scheme. Don't be surprised to see VW giving favorable pricing scheme for its customers while we are left out in the cold.

The fresh stink of hyperbole in the morning.
Remove the CHAdeMO connector, then you have something to whine about.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am

SageBrush wrote:The fresh stink of hyperbole in the morning.
Remove the CHAdeMO connector, then you have something to whine about.

Ah yes, most electric cars are Tesla's and CHAdeMO's. No Tesla connectors, but then again we were not expecting any, eh?

Exactly one CHAdeMO cable, shared with a CCS cable. Even at locations with 23 other cables.

50kW CHAdeMO, even with all other cables at 150kW, 350kW and perhaps even more.

Oh no, no bias at all.

But hey, if VW actually ends the standards war by putting a whole pile of CCS chargers out there, that's probably a good thing. Nissan will just end up putting CCS on their new cars, and old cars will just have to find old chargers for longer trips. If VW puts enough CCS units out there so that Telsa's standard also dies, probably even better. Look children, this exhibit shows an electric charger from 2020 that was just for one brand of car...
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:45 am

Look chidren, here is a network that cost Billions to build that cannot be used by 90% of the EVs that people are buying.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:57 am

SageBrush wrote:Look chidren, here is a network that cost Billions to build that cannot be used by 90% of the EVs that people are buying.

Said network does not exist. Teslas can use EA with an adaptor. And Tesla sells far more than 10% of EVs that people are buying (so obviously you aren't referring to superchargers).
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:59 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:As I wrote on the “Mission E” thread, I take this as good news. VWAG is taking EVs seriously. EA’s network is now critics to the success of one of their flagship products. Unlike a certain other network, EA is not a walled garden; it is available for all EVs to use. That they have financial motivation to maintain and improve it is a boon to all EV drivers.

EA doesn't have to be a protocol "walled garden" with its pricing scheme. Don't be surprised to see VW giving favorable pricing scheme for its customers while we are left out in the cold.

EA is giving "favorable pricing" for its customers. The Taycan comes with 3 years free! If that's not favorable pricing, nothing is. And no, I'm not surprised by it. Nor am I upset. Sure, I wish that they were more in line with EVGo's pricing. But the truth is, if you could actually use 150kW, the pricing is better than EVGo's (3X the power for much less than 3X the cost).
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

GRA

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:44 pm

I expect that Tesla will eventually start converting SC stalls as well as the Model 3/Y to CCS-1 in the U.S., as that's rapidly becoming the standard here, with all legacy U.S., European, and Korean companies using it. As of now, who's using CHAdeMO? Nissan and Mitsubishi? Honda bailed to CCS. What will likely determine the final fate of CHAdeMO outside Japan will be Toyota's decision on what standard to use, once they start producing BEVs for the world market.

Tesla's already providing GB/T for China and CCS-2 for the E.U., and the justification for continuing to expand the SC network while serving only Teslas is rapidly fading. After all, the SC network was built because "We can't afford to wait for others to do it", or words to that effect from Elon. As others are now 'doing it', the need for Tesla to continue going it alone (and sinking large amounts of cash they need for other programs) is not there. And agreeing to a single nationwide or even better continent-wide charging standard can only help in accomplishing Tesla's original mission, which isn't to build cars or chargers, it's "to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable transport" (later modified to "accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy", reflecting the acquisition of Solar City, battery storage etc).

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”