Nema 14-30 Outlet for 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newleafbuyer

Greetings,

I'm looking at leasing a 2018 Leaf and it will be my first electric car.

Our garage has a Nema 14-30 Outlet. The garage was built about 3 years ago and it looks like this outlet is hooked up to a 30 Amp breaker.

The dealer couldn't give me a straight answer, but I'm wondering can I plug the charging cable that Nissan provides directly into this outlet? Or do I need to upgrade to a Nema 14-50 Outlet and a 50 amp breaker? I couldn't find this info on the Nissan website.

Alternatively, I see there are products such as this one from ClipperCreek:

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-20-to-32?product_id=121

Would I need to buy this? I assume this would be cheaper than having an electrician come out and upgrade my panel.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks!

Since the Leaf charges at about 28 amps with the supplied 120/240 volt EVSE you can't safely use a 30 amp 240 volt circuit. The clipper Creek unit is the way to go. Make sure you tell them what plug to put on the end.

newleafbuyer said:
I'm looking at leasing a 2018 Leaf and it will be my first electric car.

Our garage has a Nema 14-30 Outlet. The garage was built about 3 years ago and it looks like this outlet is hooked up to a 30 Amp breaker.

The dealer couldn't give me a straight answer, but I'm wondering can I plug the charging cable that Nissan provides directly into this outlet? Or do I need to upgrade to a Nema 14-50 Outlet and a 50 amp breaker? I couldn't find this info on the Nissan website.

Alternatively, I see there are products such as this one from ClipperCreek:

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-20-to-32?product_id=121

Would I need to buy this? I assume this would be cheaper than having an electrician come out and upgrade my panel.
I've seen the dual voltage (120/240 volt L2 EVSE) that comes with the '18 Leafs. It's NEMA 14-50 or 5-15. There's nothing in between.

30 amp outlet and breaker should be safe for no more than 24 amp continuous load.

Yes, you'll want an EVSE that draws no more than 24 amps continually, so https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-20-to-32?product_id=121 should be fine.

It's unfortunate that Nissan didn't include an EVSE that alters the pilot signal (thus telling the car how much to draw at max) depending on the adapter installed like https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x-nema-adapters.html?sku=1016258-00-B, which would be connected to Tesla's L1/L2 EVSE (they call it a mobile connector).

I would get the Clipper Creek. 24 amps charging is plenty fast.

Yes it is probably less money than an electrician to pull new #6 wire, new connector, and new breaker.

just get an adapter from the 30 amp plug to the 50 amp. The charger is low amps like 12 amp 120 volts or 240 volts. get an adapter from a RV store or Juice box...let us know how it works.

Simply cut off the unused neutral pin and the EVSE will plug into 30, 40, 50, and 60A circuits. The pilot is probably set for 30A and a 28A leaf is very near overload. The NEC wants EVSE'S to only use 80% of the available current as they consider them to be continuous loads. In my opinion that is bullshit but I do not make the rules.

speedski97 said:
just get an adapter from the 30 amp plug to the 50 amp. The charger is low amps like 12 amp 120 volts or 240 volts.
No it's not. The 120/240 volt L2 EVSE that Nissan ships clearly has a label on the back that states input and output of 30 amps at 240 volts.
IMG_7138-cropped.JPG
It is NOT only 12 amps at 240 volts.

Discussion of this subject has come up before: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=505515#p505515.

If you are getting a brand new Leaf, with the large battery, it makes no sense to skimp on putting the highest capacity charger in your garage...

Putting in a higher rated breaker and Nema plug would only cost you maybe $200-300, which is nothing compared the better use your new car could give. Don't cheap out on the most important link in the EV chain....

newleafbuyer said:

There's one other possibility. Check the wiring to the 14-30. If the wiring for the 14-30 is at least 8 awg, you might be able to upgrade to a 14-50 and a 40a breaker without changing the wiring. That would you give you full speed charging with the Nissan EVSE. Don't hold your breath, however, because a 30a outlet would generally have 10 awg.

If you don't mind the slower charging, I've been using a 14-30 for charging my LEAF for two years. I use a Clipper Creek LCS-25 since my car doesn't have quick charging. It just depends on how fast you want to charge and how much you want to spend.

aarond12 said:
If you don't mind the slower charging, I've been using a 14-30 for charging my LEAF for two years. I use a Clipper Creek LCS-25 since my car doesn't have quick charging. It just depends on how fast you want to charge and how much you want to spend.

As long as the 14-50 is under your control you can use any circuit. The only rated configuration is 50A or 40A with a 50A or 40A breaker. Plugging a 16A EVSE will only draw its 16A from any outlet so if it is in a controlled access site you should be OK.

Back