cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: GCR: eVgo simplifies, cuts electric-car fast charging prices nationwide

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:03 pm

SageBrush wrote:
cmwade77 wrote:
SageBrush wrote:It depends what you ask.
Ask a business with a fast charger what their demand charges are.

I have and all of them I have spoken with say that they have been able to negotiate with their utility company to eliminate them for the EVSEs, as most utility companies in California are given mandates to be EV friendly.

Color me skeptical, and I apologize in advance.

What companies are you talking about here ?
For a * 50 kWh* station, right ?
How did the company isolate the charging station from the overall consumption and power pattern ?

Easy, they have them on separate power meters, not really that difficult to do.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:23 pm

cmwade77 wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
cmwade77 wrote:I have and all of them I have spoken with say that they have been able to negotiate with their utility company to eliminate them for the EVSEs, as most utility companies in California are given mandates to be EV friendly.

Color me skeptical, and I apologize in advance.

How did the company isolate the charging station from the overall consumption and power pattern ?

Oh, I know it is done; it the cost to do so that interests me. Are you able to answer the questions ?
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 am

SageBrush wrote:
cmwade77 wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Color me skeptical, and I apologize in advance.

Oh, I know it is done; it the cost to do so that interests me. Are you able to answer the questions ?

The cost is highly dependent on the utility company and the location of the chargers vs. where the existing electrical service is. Some utility companies will add the additional meter free of charge, so it really doesn't add any extra costs. I believe SCE charges about $500 for the additional meter, so in the grand scheme of things not too overly expensive.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

EVgo gets rid of $4.95 connection/session fee for DC FCing

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:47 pm

GRA wrote:The dropping of connection fees for PAYG is also very helpful. The main question is can they afford to do this and be profitable?

Bumping this again. Also see article https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastianb ... 2248f5f9bf.

If people weren't aware and had an EVgo membership, if you're still paying the $4.95 connection/session fee to start a DC FC session, you need to switch your plan ASAP.

On March 1, 2018, they came out with plans that have no monthly fee which don't have that any more. Problem is, they don't switch you over to it automatically. One person here (who's also on another forum w/me) wasn't aware of this. Another person on that other forum was also unaware.

It does seem borderline shady that they wouldn't automatically switch people over to a new plan as it makes no sense anyone would want to stick with that old plan. I did receive an email from them on 3/1/18 titled "New EVgo Pricing: Drive Farther and Pay Less!" It says:
Hi (my name),

Go farther for less money with EVgo’s all-new pricing!

The new Membership plan is only $9.99 / month:

Monthly fee becomes a CREDIT and covers your first $9.99 of charging every month
No session fees
$0.15 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
45-minute charging sessions initiated between 6:00am and 7:59pm
60-minute charging sessions initiated between 8:00pm and 5:59am

We also have a new Pay As You Go rate for less frequent charging:

Only $0.20 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
No session fees or monthly fee
45-minute charging sessions

Switch Now

If you'd prefer to keep your current Flex plan, no action is needed. Further questions? Please check out our FAQ.

Thank you for charging with us,

The EVgo Team

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:51 pm

I have No Charge to Charge and have never paid a fee, although they may charge one if my session goes over 30 (or possibly 45 now) minutes.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:57 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I have No Charge to Charge and have never paid a fee, although they may charge one if my session goes over 30 (or possibly 45 now) minutes.

Lucky you... unfortunately, I've never had NCTC. Didn't exist when I leased my 1st Leaf. My current owned used Leaf is 1 month older, so no NCTC either and this one doesn't have CHAdeMO.

So, far, I think I've never paid a fee on EVgo as I don't think I've ever used them.

Your free NCTC is only good for the first two years though...

'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:01 pm

After the first few months I largely stopped using mine anyway, because I'm concerned about the health of my crappy Nissan battery. My original intent was to use QC only when really needed for a trip, and I've returned to that philosophy. The paltry amount I'd save on charging isn't worth the risk of increased degradation.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:06 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:After the first few months I largely stopped using mine anyway, because I'm concerned about the health of my crappy Nissan battery. My original intent was to use QC only when really needed for a trip, and I've returned to that philosophy. The paltry amount I'd save on charging isn't worth the risk of increased degradation.

Yeah, awhile ago when I'd brought my Leaf in for service (probably after Nov 2017 so after I was down 1 bar), the service advisor was surprised I was down only 1 bar. He's probably seen a huge variation and may be unaware of the 4/2013+ batteries being better. Anyway, he expected mine to be down more bars. He mentioned some customers ONLY DC FCing (probably because of NCTC and I'm guessing no free charging at work). Also, Pacific Gouge & Extort (my electric utility) isn't cheap.

I'm in (work and home) a hotter part of the SF Bay Area and I personally knew a guy with an '11 or '12 at work (he got let go) who was able to get to 8 bars before his 5 year/60K capacity warranty expired --> free battery. Another guy in the local SF BayLEAFs group I believe did, as well. Another guy in that group missed it.

I think he was only 3 bars down when his capacity warranty expired so he dumped his Leaf for a Clarity BEV. Nissan's goodwill program had already ended so they weren't willing to help him on the cost of a replacement.

'06 Prius

LeftieBiker

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:09 pm

It would probably be perfectly safe for my to QC in the Winter, but I really would only be doing it to save literally a few dollars, and I think my time is worth more than that.

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:31 pm

SageBrush wrote:
cmwade77 wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Color me skeptical, and I apologize in advance.

Guess I didn't see this back in March. I work for the utility in San Diego, and I can tell you unequivocally that a utility regulated by the CPUC cannot suspend parts of their tariffs or drop demand charges just because they want to or a customer asks nicely.

Any changes to rates or tariffs have to be approved by the CPUC. No question that rate structures will be changing over the coming years, but all of those changes will either be because the CPUC ordered them, or the utility asked to do it and received permission...

If you have any questions about how rates work, I can usually answer or get answers....Thanks...

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”