webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Re: Any problem charging at leaf at a lowly 8 amps.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:14 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Also, any problem having the car plugged into the EVSE but the EVSE not being plugged in?

It may drain the 12 volt battery if done for enough hours. I'm not entirely sure that the car can detect the EVSE if the latter isn't plugged in, but it may take nothing more than having it plugged into the charging port. Or it may not...

Ahh. Makes sense. Well. It’s only 6 steps out the door so no real excuse not to just plug it in.
Thanks again.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:28 pm

8A will work fine but why. The spec says 6A max but why. The car can take whole lot more. 8Aa is just to p protect poor 120VAV wiring.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

webeleafowners

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 pm

GlennD wrote:8A will work fine but why. The spec says 6A max but why. The car can take whole lot more. 8Aa is just to p protect poor 120VAV wiring.

Its just a timing thing. Timing it to be full just before I hit the road. Honestly most of the time it will be on 12 amps. We charge 2 or 3 times a week. When we need to charge fast we use the Juice box.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 pm

webeleafowners wrote:
GlennD wrote:8A will work fine but why. The spec says 6A max but why. The car can take whole lot more. 8Aa is just to p protect poor 120VAV wiring.

Its just a timing thing. Timing it to be full just before I hit the road. Honestly most of the time it will be on 12 amps. We charge 2 or 3 times a week. When we need to charge fast we use the Juice box.

Does your LEAF have built-in timer? If so then you can program an "end-time only" timer that does that. Sorry I don't know what the "SE" trim level means for Canadian LEAFs.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Nubo wrote:Does your LEAF have built-in timer? If so then you can program an "end-time only" timer that does that. Sorry I don't know what the "SE" trim level means for Canadian LEAFs.

There's no such thing as an SE trim for Canada. See specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/cana ... -press-kit.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webeleafowners

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:36 am

cwerdna wrote:
Nubo wrote:Does your LEAF have built-in timer? If so then you can program an "end-time only" timer that does that. Sorry I don't know what the "SE" trim level means for Canadian LEAFs.

There's no such thing as an SE trim for Canada. See specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/cana ... -press-kit.

YAh. That’s a typo. It’s an SV.

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:02 am

Our EVSE is on a heavy duty "time of use" contactor that shuts off when it hits the high rate and turns on at the low rate (the utility can also load shed and shut it off if they want). A lot of times I will get home and plug it in and it will start charging and then hit the on peak time and the evse is essentially "unplugged" and the can sits for a bit waiting and goes to sleep. If you don't change anything once the EVSE gets power again it will wake up the car and start to charge again, I have done this many times with no issues so far. I also often come home and plug in during the on peak time and once we hit the off peak the car will just start charging. I have never had any faults or warnings from the car doing this.

As was mentioned a regular light switch shutting off with the EVSE load on probably isn't the best for the switch, but being only 8 amps I don't think it is a safety issue, it may just wear out that switch sooner. You could swap that switch with a heavy duty 20a one if it does fail.
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - eight L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 180k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
@70k miles - 56.56Ahr - 86 SOH - 82.55 Hx - 245 GID

GlennD
Forum Supporter

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

webeleafowners wrote:
jjeff wrote:Interesting, the SmartEV has a coiled j1772 cable? If so that's a really nice feature. Some around here have asked about coiled cords but the cheapest EVSEs with that feature seem to start >$1000USD :shock:
I'd also advise against flipping the switch during charging, probably not good for your switch at all. Other than being quite inefficient I don't see any problem charging at 8a @ 120v, just slow as heck :D

edit:
Yes the fault should go away as soon as power is re-applied.

Yah. The coiled cable works well in this situation. The black button (hard to see) switches between 8 and 12 amps. I hose clamped it to the board and screwed the board to the wall. Need to repaint the board yet but it looks pretty good and isn’t visible from the street.

Mercedes supplies a Lear EVSE that comes with a coiled cable but the Lear has a poor reputation for reliability.

webeleafowners

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:31 pm

GlennD wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:
jjeff wrote:Interesting, the SmartEV has a coiled j1772 cable? If so that's a really nice feature. Some around here have asked about coiled cords but the cheapest EVSEs with that feature seem to start >$1000USD :shock:
I'd also advise against flipping the switch during charging, probably not good for your switch at all. Other than being quite inefficient I don't see any problem charging at 8a @ 120v, just slow as heck :D

edit:
Yes the fault should go away as soon as power is re-applied.

Yah. The coiled cable works well in this situation. The black button (hard to see) switches between 8 and 12 amps. I hose clamped it to the board and screwed the board to the wall. Need to repaint the board yet but it looks pretty good and isn’t visible from the street.

Mercedes supplies a Lear EVSE that comes with a coiled cable but the Lear has a poor reputation for reliability.

Well, the smart is a Mercedes product so it’s probably the same one. We haven’t had any problems in the three years we have had it. Either with the EVSE or the car.

GlennD
Forum Supporter

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm

My stock EVSE is in a sealed bag. I have an OpenEVSE unit as carry along. I will turn in the stock EVSE at lease turn in. I could set the EVST to 16A for a 20A circuit. But why bother. I carry it along for an emergency but I really do not plan to use it. .

M old OpenEVSE had a bad 120V adapter but since I never used the EVSE I did not notice.

I am sure that some are happy with L1 charging but I am not that person. For Me I charge at L2 240VAC and 40A. That fits my needs.

Quick Charge Power has a L3 adapter but I really do not need the added range and shorter charging time. For me 40A at 240. If I traveled to San Diego it would make sense.. It is priced similar to Tesla" Super Cahrge's rates.

But for most Mercedes owners that is pocket change. I think the whole adapter is 3K plus install.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”