Chargegate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Youtube is on fire with videos that show the Nissan Leaf will not give you more then 2 DC fast charges in a row on a 2018 Nissan Leaf. On the 3rd DC fast charge, the charge rate is only 40 to 50% of the first 2 DC fast charges. There is also speculation that this would happen starting with the 2nd DC fast charge in hotter climates since all the Youtube videos were made in Europe where it is colder than the deep South in the USA.

My question is can you start from home fully charged, drive 40 miles, do 1 DC fast charge, drive 80 miles, do a level 2 charge, drive 80 miles, then do a DC fast charge, drive 40 miles, then arrive at the destination? With both DC fast charges at full capacity of 50 kw? I am hoping that this would be possible because there is only a total of 2 DC fast charges in my scenario. All the driving is at highway speeds.

In other words, if you only get 2 full capacity DC fast charges, then can you squeeze a level 2 charge in-between these 2 full capacity DC fast charges? Or does the level 2 charge count as a 2nd charge so that the following DC fast charge is only at 50 percent capacity?

Also, will I still get 2 full capacity DC fast charges if I am driving at 80mph? If not, what speed do I have to limit myself to? This question is for summer driving when the outside temp is at 100 degrees F = 37.8 C.

I want to drive from Dallas to Austin, Texas. There is no DC fast charger in Waco, in the mid-point. The first DC fast charger heading south after you leave Dallas is the Cracker Barrel in De Soto. The next DC fast charger is in the Outlet Mall in Round Rock. The distance between DC fast chargers is 160 miles.

Thanks.

lilly said:
My question is can you start from home fully charged, drive 40 miles, do 1 DC fast charge, drive 80 miles, do a level 2 charge, drive 80 miles, then do a DC fast charge, drive 40 miles, then arrive at the destination? With both DC fast charges at full capacity of 50 kw? I am hoping that this would be possible because there is only a total of 2 DC fast charges in my scenario. All the driving is at highway speeds.

The first DC fast charge will not be at full rate, as the battery would be too full. This would be true with about every Li ion battery I've ever seen.

lilly said:
I want to drive from Dallas to Austin, Texas.

Shouldn't that be Dallas, Texas to Austin?

I've heard that Austin isn't really in Texas. :lol:

Back