finman100
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2014

Re: Colorado issues $10M RFA for private sector partners to build fast charging stations along major highway corridors

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:52 am

My next EV has to get me out of state, in reasonable time, with NO worries about fueling. I'm NOT leaning towards anything else but Tesla.

My Leaf has and continues to be awesome! I don't like the variability, shall we say, of the current network of Chademo. And i live in Chademo heaven (PNW). But one DC charging spot per location? Reliability of said one-spot DC spaces is suspect. Speed of Chademo is currently NOT "fast", in my opinion. My range is down 21% per Leaf Spy.

Leaf has compromises for what people like to do with cars. I've compromised for 4 years and one other company has not. I've LOVED what driving electric means. I want more from my next EV.

I see Tesla having fewer of those compromises for the foreseeable future, for my use/needs, and providing me with more of what Nissan isn't. See above comments about DC charging spaces and battery degradation.

I do hope a longer range Leaf with TMS and a nationwide charging network happens. The Tesla forums do not have as many threads about broken DC charging hardware, or threads about loss of range, etc.

$10,000 Leafs are great...but still limited. $35,000 Teslas have't been made yet, but they would seem to be less limited, to me anyway, for my use/needs. We'll see how this all works out.
Albany, Oregon
2014 Silver SV with charge/LED package. June 2014, I'm in the EV game!
46,000 miles
17.5 kWh on 100% charge (51-ish Ah), down 1 bar
4.2 miles/kWh average
Best trip: all of 'em. They're all no-gas!

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Colorado issues $10M RFA for private sector partners to build fast charging stations along major highway corridors

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 am

@Finman100,

Your post fits me exactly, although between Colorado and the Feds a very nice tax credit is also available so if money was tight I would end up buying a Tesla for quite a bit less than $35k.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm

SageBrush wrote:@Finman100,

Your post fits me exactly, although between Colorado and the Feds a very nice tax credit is also available so if money was tight I would end up buying a Tesla for quite a bit less than $35k.

Do you know what the current situation is between the Federal Tax cut and Tesla? I know I wouldn't get quite the full $7,500 due to lower income, but I'd hate to get a Tesla that doesn't even qualify for half that.

finman100 wrote:$10,000 Leafs are great...but still limited. $35,000 Teslas have't been made yet, but they would seem to be less limited, to me anyway, for my use/needs. We'll see how this all works out.

I'm glad that's what you meant!

Sometimes I feel like there are quite a few on this forum out to make anyone who owns a Leaf feel like they've made the biggest mistake of their life when in reality a Leaf is a whole lot better then driving around an ICEV like my 1985 VW diesel.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

SageBrush

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 pm

IssacZachary wrote:Do you know what the current situation is between the Federal Tax cut and Tesla? I know I wouldn't get quite the full $7,500 due to lower income, but I'd hate to get a Tesla that doesn't even qualify for half that.

The Federal Tax credit has nothing specific about Tesla, it is a $7500 non-refundable tax credit.
Colorado has a $5,000 refundable tax credit.

Google knows the difference between the two types of tax credit.
-----

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:02 pm

SageBrush wrote:The Federal Tax credit has nothing specific about Tesla, it is a $7500 non-refundable tax credit.

Yes, I understand the difference between the Colorado and Federal tax credits.

The last time I looked there was a report that most Tesla Model 3 buyers would not receive the full federal tax credit. Basically the numbers are showing that you have to get a Tesla this year or by the first quarter of 2019 to get the $7,500 tax credit. If you get your Tesla within the second or third quarter of 2019 you only get half. And if you get your's by the end of 2019 or in 2020 it's cut in half again before it disappears altogether.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/fuelefficient/sc-auto-tips-0419-federal-ev-tax-credit-cut-20180413-story.html

So that tells me I either have to jump on getting a Tesla ASAP or forget about it for the time being and just stick with the Leaf I have. I'm not in a position right now to purchase even a $22,500 Colorado Tesla (actually more around $25,000 for me since I'm expecting to pay the feds only around $5,000 at the end of this year.) Maybe if I sold both my Leaf and my 1972 Beetle for a good price I could, but so far I haven't been able to sell either.

But that's just me and my own personal circumstances of course. ;) If you can get a Tesla then go for it!
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

SageBrush

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 pm

IssacZachary wrote:
SageBrush wrote:The Federal Tax credit has nothing specific about Tesla, it is a $7500 non-refundable tax credit.

Yes, I understand the difference between the Colorado and Federal tax credits.

The last time I looked there was a report that most Tesla Model 3 buyers would not receive the full federal tax credit. Basically the numbers are showing that you have to get a Tesla this year or by the first quarter of 2019 to get the $7,500 tax credit. If you get your Tesla within the second or third quarter of 2019 you only get half. And if you get your's by the end of 2019 or in 2020 it's cut in half again before it disappears altogether.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/fuelefficient/sc-auto-tips-0419-federal-ev-tax-credit-cut-20180413-story.html

So that tells me I either have to jump on getting a Tesla ASAP or forget about it for the time being and just stick with the Leaf I have. I'm not in a position right now to purchase even a $22,500 Colorado Tesla (actually more around $25,000 for me since I'm expecting to pay the feds only around $5,000 at the end of this year.) Maybe if I sold both my Leaf and my 1972 Beetle for a good price I could, but so far I haven't been able to sell either.

But that's just me and my own personal circumstances of course. ;) If you can get a Tesla then go for it!

The termination of the $7,500 credit will be followed for 3 months by a $3,750 tax credit, which is then followed by a $1,775 tax credit for another 3 months.

I have enough income to take advantage of about a $4,000 tax credit so a modest delay in my getting the car will not change the final cost for me. Anyway, I only wanted to point out that a Model 3 can cost quite a bit less than $36k for a Coloradan.

But it should also be said that Colorado has generous car taxes. Depending on where you live the sales tax is 4 - 9%, and registration tax adds another 6.9% over the first 4 years. It works out that the Colorado credit about covers state taxes.

----
Enjoy your LEAF! And hopefully infrastructure will come to your area sooner rather than later.
-----

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:00 pm

GRA wrote: "...I particularly like these sections of the spec: ...

Authors seem to have learned from the disappointing experience of other public/private partnerships (DoE/Blink). I hope these RFAs produce the intended results. Since buying access to Tesla's Supercharger network seems unlikely, these partnerships are the short term hope for expansion of public charging infrastructure.
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > Tesla Model 3 (Reservation) :?:

GRA

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:23 pm

KeiJidosha wrote:
GRA wrote: "...I particularly like these sections of the spec: ...

Authors seem to have learned from the disappointing experience of other public/private partnerships (DoE/Blink). I hope these RFAs produce the intended results. Since buying access to Tesla's Supercharger network seems unlikely, these partnerships are the short term hope for expansion of public charging infrastructure.

I agree, the RFA does look like they've taken note of all the factors that have led to delays and failures of other public grant charging network station buildouts (and maybe H2 stations as well) over the past 7 years, and done everything they can to avoid repeating those errors. Planning timelines, monthly reporting requirements during construction noting and explaining any delays, their cause and what steps are being taken to get back on schedule, maintenance plan requirements extending out five years with quarterly reports once the stations are open, only providing part payment per station until the entire corridor is open, ownership reverts to the state if the company goes out of business during the term, etc. It looks like a much more mature process than has been the case previously.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee that they'll have bidders for every corridor or that no delays will occur, but it appears to me to be about as tightly designed as such efforts can be. The one final piece is we've got to hope that the prices to charge are competitive with liquid fuels, so that the stations will be used. That will be assessed and weighted in the business model section of the application, and the equipment spec does require that payment allows for flexible pricing, by minute, hour, kWh and TOD.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 am

IssacZachary wrote:The last time I looked there was a report that most Tesla Model 3 buyers would not receive the full federal tax credit. Basically the numbers are showing that you have to get a Tesla this year or by the first quarter of 2019 to get the $7,500 tax credit. If you get your Tesla within the second or third quarter of 2019 you only get half. And if you get your's by the end of 2019 or in 2020 it's cut in half again before it disappears altogether.

At this point, it looks like Tesla will hit 200,000 cars sold in the US by the end of June, which means the full $7500 tax credit will run out September 30th. If they are able to hold off selling the 200,000th car until July 1, by sending as many as possible to Canada, and holding off deliveries to US customers, the full $7500 tax credit will run out December 31, 2018. After that, you will get half the tax credit ($3750) for another 6 months, and then 1/4 credit ($1875) for the following 6 months.

"Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period."
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”