SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: How to tell if stock EVSE has been upgraded?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 am

Jam8 wrote:
SageBrush wrote:An adapter is also for sale that adds an extra outlet to home dryer outlets. I think it is devised to only allow use of one outlet at a time to avoid overloading the circuit.

I'll have to take to an electrician, but this idea worries me as the 10-30 dryer plug I have (pre-1996 home) has two 120V hots and a neutral - no ground. If the leaf were charging on the same circuit and used the neutral as ground (the neutral should be grounded at the panel, so no problem as long as a single appliance is using the circuit) while someone turned on the dryer whether that could cause problems.

It sounds like whether I stick with level 1 or attempt level 2, I'll need/want a dedicated circuit.

Here is the device I was thinking of to share the outlet
https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collecti ... 1696538305

You may wish to ask your safety related questions of the vendor who is I think quite approachable and the maker of the devices.
Last edited by SageBrush on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:16 am

Jam8 wrote:It sounds like whether I stick with level 1 or attempt level 2, I'll need/want a dedicated circuit.

You absolutely want a dedicated circuit for any L2 charger. Doing otherwise is dangerous and just foolish IMO.

Also, "You should always upgrade the wiring rather than downgrade the plug." The NEMA-10 (3-wire 'dryer plug') has been super-ceded by the NEMA-14 (4-wire) for safety reasons. 240V can be dangerous so why take chances just to save a few $$.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... connect-to

EVDRIVER

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 am

goldbrick wrote:
Jam8 wrote:It sounds like whether I stick with level 1 or attempt level 2, I'll need/want a dedicated circuit.

You absolutely want a dedicated circuit for any L2 charger. Doing otherwise is dangerous and just foolish IMO.

Also, "You should always upgrade the wiring rather than downgrade the plug." The NEMA-10 (3-wire 'dryer plug') has been super-ceded by the NEMA-14 (4-wire) for safety reasons. 240V can be dangerous so why take chances just to save a few $$.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... connect-to

10-30 wiring is 10G, 14-30 is not safer it is just a newer dryer outlet with a neutral, an EVSE does not use a neutral so it's moot.
Forum Moderator

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:35 pm

According to Wikipedia (FWIW....)

"Modern practice is to require a separate safety grounding conductor whose only purpose is to divert unsafe voltages, and which does not carry significant current during normal operation. Relying on the neutral conductor was a legal grounding method for electric ranges and clothes dryers, under the National Electrical Code from the 1947 to the 1996 editions. Since North American dryers and ranges have certain components (timers, lights, fans, etc.) that run on 120 V, this means that the neutral wire indirectly used for grounding would also carry current, even under non-fault conditions. Although this is contrary to modern grounding practice, such "grandfathered" installations remain common in older homes in the United States.[15]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

And yes, I realize that most (all?) EVSE will not use the neutral to implement a 120V circuit but I still think that having a separate, dedicated ground wire increases safety. Apparently so does the NEC.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”